Might buy van in Denver/possible altitude complications?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexK90

Reaction score
I live in New York and I've been looking at used vans around here, but the prices in NY/NJ tend to be steep compared to other parts of the country, plus the fact that we have a lot of ice and salt on the roads in the winter which takes its toll on any used vehicle.

I've heard the best place to buy used vehicles is the Southwest.  I have an opportunity to go to the Denver/Boulder CO area in a month, and I was thinking I would use that time to track down a used van that would hopefully be cheaper and in better condition than one I'd find around here.  Then I'd drive it back to NY over the course of a couple days and start the conversion process.

I brought this up to a friend and she said that because of the altitude in Denver windshields crack a lot.  So now I'm worried that the altitude might wreak some kind of further internal havoc on a van that I wouldn't see coming.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is this plan a good idea or should I just stay in NY and find something around here?

Thanks in advance!

I lived in the foothills west of Denver for 16 years.  Yes, windshields crack a lot, but not because of the altitude.  The road crews use gravel in the winter, not salt, and it's the gravel that flies up and cracks windshields.   I never experienced, or heard of rust damage there, but I did have to replace my windshield every couple of years and still usually had a cracked windshield most of the time.

Here in Arizona, all I've ever experienced is little dings that can be sealed up, but it doesn't snow  in the Phoenix metro area.

I live south of Denver. x2 on what Tussah said regarding windshields - it's due to all the sand and gravel on the roads. cracked windshields are just part of life here. When i worked at school we bought a couple vans from the Denver area. We were looking for 15 passenger vans and could usually pick up a clean one with around 140k miles for about $4000. Rust isn't a big deal on newer vehicles around here, but older ones weren't coated as well from the factory and so will have the usual rust around the wheel wells etc... but nothing like what you're used to back east. Good luck.

AlexK90 said:
I live in New York and I've been looking at used vans around here, but the prices in NY/NJ tend to be steep compared to other parts of the country, plus the fact that we have a lot of ice and salt on the roads in the winter which takes its toll on any used vehicle.

I've heard the best place to buy used vehicles is the Southwest.  I have an opportunity to go to the Denver/Boulder CO area in a month, and I was thinking I would use that time to track down a used van that would hopefully be cheaper and in better condition than one I'd find around here.  Then I'd drive it back to NY over the course of a couple days and start the conversion process.

I brought this up to a friend and she said that because of the altitude in Denver windshields crack a lot.  So now I'm worried that the altitude might wreak some kind of further internal havoc on a van that I wouldn't see coming.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is this plan a good idea or should I just stay in NY and find something around here?

Thanks in advance!

Even though it would mean more travel, have you considered Phoenix or Vegas?

I don't think I'd consider Denver to be a good place to buy a vehicle if you're worried about the effects of winter salt. I'd also recommend you stay away from vehicle that lived too close to the coast as well since the salty air tends to take its toll as well. I think you might be better off looking in the southern regions where light snow is a bi-yearly event. Just my 2¢, Cotton

I don't think any of the western states use road salt. at least I have never seen it. do any use it? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't think any of the western states use road salt.  at least I have never seen it.  do any use it?  highdesertranger

I, too, live in the Denver area. They have really cut down on using salt and gravel here in recent years. Magnesium chloride is used probably 90% of the time now. While it is more efficient is reducing the ice on the roads, it presents a whole different set of issues. It has been blamed for powerline corrosion and being bad on the environment. Personally my vehicles have had some corrosion on the rims and bumpers. On the other had, windshield replacement has decreased.

I might have a slight chance at going to Phoenix.  What would be the benefit of finding a van there, rather than Colorado?

Definitely less rust and corrosion, more cracked dashboards and dry rotted tires. Every area has it's issues but tires are easier to replace and dashes easier to repair than rust cancer. Once it starts it can be very expensive to deal with.

I lived in Alaska for many years and like it was explained before the cracked windshield issue is due to gravel used instead of salt on the road. Salt only work until certain temperature and in Alaska it get too cold for salt to be used and gravel and ashes (from the coal power plants) is what is used. Come the summer the windshield get a chip and if you don't fix in time the inside heat and the outside cold cause the window to crack. Go to the desert, no rust there and there is tons of cars still alive. Right here in Texas the same. If buying a newer vehicle check the Carfax. As rule of thumbs I would never purchased a vehicle EVER registered in where salt is use in the winter. My 2 cents Good Luck!

Used cars/vans seem to be a dime a dozen here people just buy new and move on it's the too much money conundrum SF bay area.

Latest posts