Midwest Equinox Encampment, March 19 - 22, 2020 Land Between the Lakes, KY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Midwest Equinox Encampment, March 19 - 22, 2020
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, Kentucky
Taylor Bay Campground

On the weekend of March 19 - 22, 2020, there will be a non-organized non-event at the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area near Cadiz, Kentucky, located roughly between St. Louis and Nashville.

This is a non-organized non-event. There is no leader. Participants are asked to take action to engage and meet other campers by means of a secret password exchange that only participants know.  The secret password is "Have you seen Bob Wells"?  The secret password answer is "Not Yet!" Of course, if he shows up, just point at his rig.

Now that you know the secret password exchange, you are a valued member of the inner circle of Midwest nomads and CRVL forum members. To participate, join us at Taylor Bay Campground on the weekend of March 19 to 22, 2020.

Please come prepared to Leave No Trace, Pack It In, Pack It Out and Leave It Cleaner Than You Found It.  There may be a pit toilet and trash containers in camp, but it is highly recommended that you be prepared to primitive camp with no services, and take your trash with you. Let's try not to overwhelm the site's trash and toilet facilities.

There is a $30 annual fee per person for dispersed camping (including Taylor Bay Campground) in the Land Between the Lakes NRA. There is a 14 day limit at each campsite, and you must move at least 1 mile after 14 days. No reservations are necessary for the dispersed sites.  Three day Basic Camping Permits are available for $7 per person.

You may purchase the Basic Camping Permit online here:  https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/reservations/

In this area, average temperatures in March are a high of 60F and a low of 38F. Let's hope for warm weather, but be prepared for chilly nights!

Taylor Bay Campground Location and Reviews:
https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds-details/45918.htm
https://freecampsites.net/#!159392&query=sitedetails
https://www.campendium.com/taylor-bay

Taylor Bay Campground Videos:

There are no activities planned, but we encourage inviting neighboring campers to potluck dinners. This event relies on YOU to invite other campers to join you by the fire and to share a meal. We highly encourage Dutch Oven and cast iron cooking experts to attend!

In order to identify yourself as part of the group, consider putting a CRVL sticker on your van: https://teespring.com/stores/cheaprvlivingstore

We look forward to seeing you!

Thanks for the post. I am in Southern Illinois. What is the availability of dispersed camping locations in the area of Kentucky Lake and that part of the State? I may want to buy an annual pass instead of the 3 day. T

I doubt I’m the only person here wondering who or what ”MidwestEquinox” is, joining yesterday and inviting people here to a gathering in a somewhat remote campground.

Hmmm?   :rolleyes:

Maybe a little information would be good.

We must know!!! What is this Midwest Equinox thing all about?? Thanks for all the great links. I was in Kentucky and did not even know all that was out there. I mostly saw miles of city. Are you kayakers?   ~crofter

The start of spring (equinox) is march 19th. Remember Bob is in florida right now IIRC.

Video # 2 has lots of good info on the numerous "Backcountry Area" sites ($30.00 per year with pass).
Looks like a great deal---if you only have to move a mile every 2 weeks.
Thanks for the info MidwestEquinox!

Just a reminder that there will be a informal camp get together on March 19 to 22, at the Taylor Bay Campground, Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.

Midwest Equinox Encampment, March 19 - 22, 2020
Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, Kentucky
Taylor Bay Campground

I did a write up on land between the lakes. I cant find it now maybe one of the moderator can find it and repost it. It listed all the activities that are available. their is a group camp ground that cost $50.00 for a week or $100. for 14 days and the campers do not need  the 7 day or the yearly pass  but someone need to reserve the  site. the site has enough room for 200 campers. Has 18 tables 10 elect outlets110 only all on one pole, a pit toilet and dumpster, 3 miles to water an a dump station,

Sounds good - I will be based in East KY for most of the spring and summer. I will consider showing up (especially if you get those cast iron chefs there. Dutch oven baked limas are my specialty.

Thanks HDR that is one of them their is another one some were about three times as long but I don't remember were it was at. Thanks but don't worry about it

This looks like something I might meet up with others from here. Maybe as we get closer to the date I'll find more people wanting to join. I'm coming from southern Illinois and doing a trip westbound. I'll put this on the calendar and make plans. Thanks for this post.

I’d sure go as it’s just a couple hours from where I’m based but I’m still out west and probably won’t head East that early. Keep us appraised of any other meetups that way

Just another bump to remind you to mark your calendar for the Midwest Equinox Encampment on the weekend of March 19 at Taylor Bay Campground in the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, Kentucky.

This is an informal event for forum members to meet up.  There are no special activities planned other than potluck dinners organized by the participants.  See the first post in this thread for more information.

This is a first time for this meetup, it is unknown how many people will be there.  If you plan to attend and don't mind it being public, you could post in this thread letting people know.  There is no need to RSVP, just show up if you are interested.  If people attend and like it, we may do it again.

To my knowledge, this invitation has been posted only on this forum. It is not the intent to draw a large number of people to a gathering, we are just a group of CRVL'ers camping out.  All are welcome, but the idea is to bring people from the forum together. A HOWA Caravan would be welcome, if anyone wants to organize it.

Who is MidwestEquinox? A long time member of the forum who hopes to attend the encampment if budget, health and weather permit.

The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area is an excellent place to learn to boondock camp, and one may camp for longer periods of time, moving every two weeks.  It is not free, a permit is required, but with an annual permit, it is possible to boondock for long periods of time.  The park is quite large with many boondocking sites available.

Bring your canoe, kayak or boat, there are excellent boating opportunities on the lakes surrounding the park.

We are hoping for Spring weather, but be aware that cold weather is a possibility, so be prepared.

Leave No Trace
Leave it Better Than You Found It
Be Self-Contained

Hope to see you there!

MidwestEquinox said:
This is a first time for this meetup, it is unknown how many people will be there.  If you plan to attend and don't mind it being public, you could post in this thread letting people know. 

Who is MidwestEquinox? A long time member of the forum who hopes to attend the encampment if budget, health and weather permit.

You describe yourself as a “longtime member” here, yet if this is true you’ve re-registered as an “entity” to start this thread, keeping your former CRVL identity secret, but encouraging others to publicize theirs.

And, you may or may not attend this gathering you are promoting.

In my experience, people like to gather with those who at least appear to be like minded and with whom you share common interests.

I don’t understand, and if this is meant to be appealing, it is at least for me not.

Have Dutch Oven, Will travel. This hammock hanger is getting excited to meet more CRVL forum folks. I have ordered a few stickers and am planning to be in the Taylor's Bay area camping with friends during the dates of this event. The LBL is fairly close to my home base, a friend has been inviting me over that way to see her new SHE-SHED,  I need a bit of R & R after a crazy winter of home maintenance focus and caregiving, and I love lima beans!  See you there!  Turtle Lady

Due to the upccoming health emergency, the Midwest Equinox Encampment has been cancelled.

Thank you to all who considered attending, it would have been nice to meet you.

Perhaps the get together will be rescheduled once we get past the influenza outbreak.

i AM DISAPPOINTED - PROBABLY COULD NOT HAVE THE NEW RIG READY IN TIME BUT WANTED TO BE THERE. i AM MORE SORRY ABOUT THE HEALTH EMERGENCY AND THE QUESTIONS RAZED HERE. DOES SOMEONE EXPECT SOMETHING NEFARIOUS? IF SO, WE ALL SHOULD KNOW FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. ???????

I purchased the $30.00 annual "Backcountry" pass already. Will probably try to explore the LBL some this year
after I get some solar panels. There appear to be a good number of primitive campgrounds in the area with only short distance moves
required every 2 weeks. I am more worried about catching something at Wal-Mart than at a secluded campsite.

Latest posts