Mechanical Repairs ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlue

Reaction score
hello everyone <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; i was wondering if there is anyone out there does the repairs on their van and where you do them ?<br /><br />&nbsp;I used to be a mechanic and know how to do most of the repairs . It would be a disappointing if i had to pay someone to do what i already know. especially if i had the tools to do the repair.<br /><br />Thanks !

&nbsp;I do all my own repairs and have done so for decades.

Thats awesome ! Is there anywhere in particular where you park your van to work on it while your in the road ?&nbsp;

Most minor repairs can be done in auto parts parking lots, though some specifically ban changing of fluids. Truck stops or even a walmart lot off to the side works in a pinch, especially if it has to do with getting back on the road. most times local leo's ( law enforcement officers) will understand and leave you alone, as kong as you are not swapping engines or eebuilding a tranny. Major repairs might involve renting a space , or working out a barter. I recently lost my brakes on the wsy TO a weekend vandweller gtg, and ended up changing all my brakelines in the national forest campvround. No one said a word to me, except the guy who offered to help bleed them when i was done.

&nbsp;Wherever I need to is where the repair is done. Once rebuilt the engine in the V.W. van I was living in on the side of the road.

I do any repairs, plus oil changes at truck stops. I make sure to clean up after, so Im welcomed back.

Used to replace my own brake pads on my car, in the parking lot. &nbsp;Could do the whole job in 1/2 an hour, both sides of front combined. &nbsp;Bet anyone could with the right tools, and a safe jacking technique. &nbsp;

Awesome everyone thanks ! That was a big concern of mine being harassed by the police or highway patrol because I need to change/fix something.&nbsp;<br /><br />Again you all have Been very helpful !&nbsp;

I have done all my repairs in the middle of the desert or forest, from steering box to starter to complete distributor replacement... Have tools will save allot of money...