About to dive in head-first

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBob3000

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in my mid 20's, and I've held van or trailer living as a goal for the future for many years, but recently a confluence of factors kind of dumped it right into my lap, so I have a lot to learn, and fast, I think.

I grew up in Idaho; still the only driver's license I've ever had, although I've been living in NYC for a couple of years. I'm kind of a woodworker by trade and I had the chance to make a living at luthiery here, which has been great, and I hate to leave my company, but I've had about all the city I can stomach, for now and forever, probably. Between that and the crushing cost of living, I've been getting frantic for a way to bail out. Not too long ago I was back in Washington state where I went to college visiting some friends, and I noticed a craigslist ad for a converted short bus- plumbing, shower, some kind of power system, incinerating toilet, wood stove, cabinetry, and testimonials from diesel mechanics. The price was right and in an uncharacteristic fit of impulse I just decided to buy it. To make things easy my friend agreed to buy it in his name with my money and transfer title over to me when I get back (he's a WA resident, lives in town, had access to a temp parking spot at work.) Maybe foolish to complicate things that way but at the time it was the only way to make it happen as far as I could tell.

I'm not sure where I want to set up shop yet, but I know I'll be living in the NW for the forseeable future- no nomad thing for me. I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and finally I just decided to make my own thread. I guess my plan at this point is roughly...
-Try to find a cheap (hopefully) parking spot around town that will be ready when I get back. I've made a "wanted" post on craigslist hoping to find something cheaper and more low-key than an actual RV spot, but I've seen a few of those for around $400 if need be.
-Move the bus there and get kind of settled.
-Exchange my ID license for WA.
-"Buy" the bus from my friend and get titled.
-Search for insurance. I gather this will be fun.
-Stay or go as I please? (As far as I can tell, the jurisdiction, Bellingham, is friendly to vehicle living, so it would be well worth it to just park around in streets and parking lots. There are also many state parks and dispersed camping opportunities nearby.)

If anyone can comment on my plan, give advice, or especially point me to any relevant books... please! And thank you! Nervous but happy

IMG_1195.jpg

The Bellingham parking ordinance is. A bit tricky. You can sleep in your vehicle but you cannot use the vehicle while parked on a street or in a parking lot for camping including activities such as bathing, toilet use, cooking , etc.

So the city of Bellingham actually can fine you if you “camp” or “live” in your vehicle. Basically it is not a school bus living friendly place as there are ordinances specifically prohibiting that activity.

It is entirely your choice to risk it. I am just letting you know that there are ordinances prohibiting it. As always do your own verification by looking it upon a city’s official website where the parking ordinances are posted instead of believing everything you hear someone say or see posted online, including what I just posted. It is your responsibility, not mine.

Last edited:
There are some school bus groups and forums you should check out as well as insurance rules and availability. Escapee’s Club has some groups of younger people working on the road that might interest you. Also if wintering make sure the previous owner dealt with the condensation that often creates mold as it can be a health hazard. Welcome! Good Luck!