Mechanical Repairs ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlue

Reaction score
hello everyone <br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; i was wondering if there is anyone out there does the repairs on their van and where you do them ?<br /><br />&nbsp;I used to be a mechanic and know how to do most of the repairs . It would be a disappointing if i had to pay someone to do what i already know. especially if i had the tools to do the repair.<br /><br />Thanks !

&nbsp;I do all my own repairs and have done so for decades.

Thats awesome ! Is there anywhere in particular where you park your van to work on it while your in the road ?&nbsp;

Most minor repairs can be done in auto parts parking lots, though some specifically ban changing of fluids. Truck stops or even a walmart lot off to the side works in a pinch, especially if it has to do with getting back on the road. most times local leo's ( law enforcement officers) will understand and leave you alone, as kong as you are not swapping engines or eebuilding a tranny. Major repairs might involve renting a space , or working out a barter. I recently lost my brakes on the wsy TO a weekend vandweller gtg, and ended up changing all my brakelines in the national forest campvround. No one said a word to me, except the guy who offered to help bleed them when i was done.

&nbsp;Wherever I need to is where the repair is done. Once rebuilt the engine in the V.W. van I was living in on the side of the road.

I do any repairs, plus oil changes at truck stops. I make sure to clean up after, so Im welcomed back.

Used to replace my own brake pads on my car, in the parking lot. &nbsp;Could do the whole job in 1/2 an hour, both sides of front combined. &nbsp;Bet anyone could with the right tools, and a safe jacking technique. &nbsp;

Awesome everyone thanks ! That was a big concern of mine being harassed by the police or highway patrol because I need to change/fix something.&nbsp;<br /><br />Again you all have Been very helpful !&nbsp;

I have done all my repairs in the middle of the desert or forest, from steering box to starter to complete distributor replacement... Have tools will save allot of money...

Latest posts