Shocks/struts repair Vancouver BC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda_Sue

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone in the Vancouver/Fraser Valley region has any thoughts on what I should be paying for this. My mechanic said the front left strut is leaking and both fronts will have to be replaced. Normally I trust these people, but since I knew nothing about it I looked it up, and any of the telltale signs of problems, I’m just not having with my vehicle (Dodge Journey). Some people are telling me to just wait until it acts up. The mechanics are quoting $2000 (taxes in, if I recall correctly).

Does that sound like a Reasonable quote?

As an aside, my decision whether to go ahead and repair it is complicated by my thinking of switching to another vehicle, and I know from past experience, the dealership will give me peanuts as a trade-in. Not happy about putting $2000 into it when I know the dealership won’t be giving me that (even though it’s a great vehicle). But, that aside, I’m wondering mainly about the fairness of the quote. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds extremely high to me but, Canadian automotive parts and shop labor could be why this sounds stratospheric financially?

Not sure the year or engine option in your ride but ask them how much if you supplied the struts...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10413964&cc=1444631&pt=15174&jsn=438
I think it works out to about $1400-1500USD. Apologies, I forgot to mention the vehicle is 2014 and has only 49,000 km (30,000 mi)

Thanks for the idea of supplying them myself, I will look into that!

Thanks!! I totally forgot about that forum! I will look into 2nd/3rd opinions.
I have the same problem with my Dodge Ram . ...and practically the same price quote here in the states. EVERYTHING is going up. I decided I will buy it and install myself.
Some of these folks don't want to work on your vehicle depending on it's age.
Facebook has excellent car forums as suggested.
For us boomers : I believe what helped started the DIY craze was the high inflation of the late 70s early 80s.
So with YouTube it looks like history repeats itself.

loaded struts for that pile can be had for under $60 US each, install is less then 1 hr each side, No idea how that comes to $2000 CA , you need to find a new shop IMO

I have the same problem with my Dodge Ram . ...and practically the same price quote here in the states. EVERYTHING is going up. I decided I will buy it and install myself.
You have a full size, RWD van and it doesn't use struts but has regular shocks. They are fairly easy to put on and the last time I checked at a shop they charged $25 per shock to install. You're right tho, everything has gone up! I try to do most work on my van but I'm less and less enthused about 'saving money' as time goes by.