Meals for one on the road.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpacamper

Reaction score
At this point in my vandwelling venture, it appears that the trips will be solo. My wife has no desire to join me & being Asperger, I would rather do them alone anyway. Cooking for one can be a pain when planning meals. I remember my youth along with my boy scout/explorer years. We were in survival mode with our ex-Marine DI scoutmaster. He taught us how to prepare meals that my father called 'hobo dinners'. My father worked ranches, broke mustangs & pretty well lived off the land. I recall many a deer hunting meal wrapped in aluminum foil placed on the coals. We could get as creative as we wanted.

Now being diabetic I have to watch the carbs, get my protein & consume as many vegetables as I can. Wrap up a cubed chicken breast, carrots, squash, onions, bell peppers, organic butter, Mrs Dash, brown rice (pre-cooked), broccoli, cauliflower & angel hair cabbage. Makes a nutritious meal for one. Fold up the foil for recycling & with the exception of a plate & fork there is no clean up. I can mix up the protein between rabbit, pork, turkey or chicken & a variety of vegetables for my evening meal. Breakfast would consist of a bowl of my personal mixture of oats (both rolled & steel cut), pearl barley, brown rice (again pre-cooked), flaxseed, almond flour, cinnamon & blueberries. My only other addition would be coffee, (pre-ground beans & half n half). Both coffee & the milk are beneficial for glucose control.

I snack on lightly salted mixed nuts or berries (doesn't seem to affect my GLU). I'm very anal about my management of diabetes (comes from my ability to focus). I've maintained a low (4.5) A1C, 115/60 BP, average glucose (87) & have maintained a normal 24.5 BMI. I'm not a big fish eater or have difficulty digesting red meats. I never thought I would eat brussel sprouts, nor asparagus, but either roasted with olive oil & garlic & herb Mrs. Dash in the same type foil wrap is heaven. I can either use my Coleman stove to heat the water for my French Press, or prepare the morning mush. Then cook the other meals over the fire pit. Wash up the few plates, bowl, cup & utensils that will be used. No ovens, no need for an interior stove, just a place to lay my head. Won't use either paper plates or plastic ware. Metal enamelware plates & cups for my contribution to helping the environment. Paper towels for everything else. Haul it in, haul it out.

I don't know if you've ever stir fried in a Wok,  but there many low carb meals that can be whipped up quickly.
If you aren't into eating red meat that much,  the Asians use only a little of it in these dishes for the flavor...like more of a seasoning. 

Wok's are multi use utensils that are very energy efficient.  Most of the cooking in one is prepping the food to be cooked and these are added in order of first items taking longest to cook and last taking the least time.  

You may have to consider Brown Rice and leave the white rice alone.  Or fix Quinoa, or Barley to go with your
stir fried vegetables.   But it should be a healthy diet as part of your overall food intake.

https://www.pinterest.com/kalissaphoto/low-carb-wok-recipes/

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natur...diabetics-and-people-with-blood-sugar-issues/

But I thought I'd offer this if it's of any interest to you.  I enjoy cooking in my Wok.

I have cooked for myself for years. I find that cooking a normal amount for 2-3 and saving the extraneous portions for later does well. It would probably require some kind of refrigeration though, which might not fit into your minimalist plan.

In response to eDJ_ & frater secessus;

I love stir fry, we use a wok at home. The problem is cooking more than one can consume is counter productive to me. I don't like reheated veggies. I can store all my weekend meals in a cooler with ice. I plan to eat the meals without the worry of saving leftovers. The veggies will store for at least 5 days in the cooler. If I only use freshly purchased frozen meats, they should stay usable for that period. My daughter has shown me how to pack ice in plastic bags lining the cooler (she said it came from this site). Space is the key for my minimalistic van dwelling. I will premix or pre-grind all my dry good & store them in clear containers. I will have to keep the frozen meats, fresh veggies & creamer in the cooler for no more than a 5 day rotation. I probably need my water replenished at the same time. I didn't plan or want any electrical or plumbing for the van, the less I have to maintain the more basic & easy it will be. Because of my age & delicate bowel condition, I have to eat all my veggies cooked to a softer consistency, can't eat fresh garden salads or under cooked side dishes. That helps with my solo experience, I don't have to consider other's preferences & criticism.

Part of my diabetes management has been the addition of 500 mg (Metformin) twice daily. Reading about it recently I've come to the conclusion I maybe shouldn't. My counts are normal. I have been lauded by my PCP for my attention to managing the malady. I never connected up that I was having side effects that are now noted as very common. The medication could also cause detrimental blockage of my absorption of B-12. My HGB count on my last CBC was 14.5, it had been over 15 which is middle normal. I had been consuming eggs in bulk & meat protein but was still down. My LDL (bad) was up, also not dangerously so I backed off the eggs a little. (35 a week down to 7). I go for another CBC in April hopefully both counts will right themselves. According to medical website sources they have banned the medication in Europe & warned anyone taking it about the possible problems. I have to stop taking it this week anyway since I have a CAT scan scheduled. Metformin & the CAT dye they use can interact & quite possibly destroy your kidneys. I will keep monitoring my GLU for problems but I have taken myself off the medication as of now. The cure is worse than the disease.

I am still in S&B's but trying HARD to get out. I cook for 1 now.

I avoid leftovers. I tend to eat two meals a day and some snacks. Breakfast is easy, eggs, potatoes, corned beef hash sometimes. Usually about every other day I do oatmeal and fruit. Sometimes yogurt and fruit.

I tend to snack mid day. Fruit, granola bar, yogurt, nuts, maybe a garden salad.

The second real meal I have is often what most would consider an early dinner between 4 and 6. This is often the traditional entre, veg and starch. Steamed rice, potato, sweet potato etc are common. Whatever veggies are fresh, in season or available.

When I buy meat I freeze it in single serve portions. Once home with with the groceries it's easy to freeze boneless skinless chicken thighs individually then once frozen I put them in a freezer bag. The same for turkey sausage, and even tofu. I keep some side pork meat, fat back, spicy Italian sausage, in small portions for seasoning recipes.

Small pots and pans encourage smaller cooked portions.

I have been cooking in a small pressure cooker and that has been great! Split pea soup in minutes that tastes like it cooked for hours and I can make 2-3 cups at a time.

1/2 inch cube of fatback or 2 inch piece of side meat browned and rendered
1/2 cup chopped onion (mirpoix of onion, carrots, and celery is traditional)
1 tsp garlic
1/3 cup green split peas
1 1/2 cup water

cook at pressure for 4 minutes
salt and pepper to taste

115/60 BP....omg! That is awesome! My average is 180\130. Most times higher. I do think BP is one of those things that numbers aren't the whole picture. Still, kudos!

Bryan, I'm no doctor but your readings seem quite high. Catch high blood pressure early and it's controllable.

Rob

Bryan,
I'm an RN and I did telephone triage for multiple major insurance companies for nine years. Two questions: is your blood pressure monitor correct? And the second one, is your doctor aware of those numbers?

If I had a patient with those numbers, I mean the diastolic number (the lower one), I would tell him/her that that's in stroke territory and I would be sending him/her to the ER or urgent care. If your doc is okay with those readings, then you need a second opinion.

Yes, it's none of my business, but you mentioned your readings. Those numbers are frightening. Just a professional opinion.

All my best,
Ted

Not to hijack a thread, but I am fine. The numbers are bad, but I am content. I don't do docs, sometimes emergency rooms. I don't carry a BP thing with me, and the upper number is usually closer to 200. Every doctor since I've been 18 has prescribed BP pills.

I think maybe my BP goes up in those situations,(around people). So its kinda where I am at and what the stress level is for me. If you want to gasp(or giggle), my BP is the least of my physical ailments.

Anyways, I know its not good, but what ya gonna do. I think that what grandpacamper has done and continues to do is a lot neater to talk about. Thnx for the thoughts though! If it helps, I know contentment 95% of the time and have almost 0 regrets.

Grandpacamper is pretty impressive with the disciple he shows, eh? Keep it up GC!

Contentment is the major thing. It was none of my business. I just wish you well.

Rob

I buy lean pork chops at a local Hispanic food mart, .79 a pound and I buy 15 pounds and divide them into one pound packages. Thawed and grilled over high heat then cook rice-a-roni and toss in the chops. Makes two good meals and easy to store.

All of my cooking is for one unless my Granddaughter is here then it's for four. Skinny as a rail and eats like a linebacker. I seal and date the leftovers. I don't like to waste.

Bon Apatite'

Rob

Latest posts