What's the cleanest, cheapest, most minimal eating I can do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
I'm thinking if I'm going to be vehicle-dwelling, I want to do it so that during the week, I don't have to cook anything, and on the weekends, I have the option of cooking full meals.

I'm going to start trying salads. Maybe eat a fat and protein-rich meal for lunch, and then eat a big salad for dinner.

I was thinking for lunch, carry a jar of plain Greek yogurt with nuts, berries, maybe a dark chocolate morsels, and a nut butter mixed in it, and for dinner, either a nut butter sandwich with sprouted bread, or a salad.

I don't know much about nutrition, but I've realized just how much my poor diet has impacted my mental health and energy levels, and am trying to change to a more paleo and more vegan diet, revolving around raw, mostly green vegetables, some fruit, and nuts. Maybe boil up some hard-boiled eggs on the weekend and add them to the salad or have them for lunch.

Does anyone have an tips or recommendations on this?
Also, how much should I be expecting to spend trying to eat healthy out of a vehicle on two meals a day?

Reactions: Sky
My healthy, non-cook days are like this:

Breakfast:
- hard boiled eggs (I boil a dozen at a time),
- orange, apple, or grapefruit juice,
- instant oatmeal mixed with canned fruit (made night before).
Lunch:
- sandwiches (my sandwiches are big),
- chocolate milk or juice or water.
Dinner:
- garden salad, I use large variety of fresh veggies and fruit,
- add canned meat (tuna, chicken breast, pulled pork),
- home made or store bought oil & vinegar dressing,
- chocolate milk or water.
Snacks:
- chocolate!
- any fresh or canned fruit
- fresh veggies,
- raisins, dates (also great in salad),
- cheese sticks,
- did I mention chocolate?

If you don't consider boiling water cooking there are a lot of choices for hot foods and coffee!

I spent $62 a week on food last year. Prices are up again this year.

That's a good menu Spiff, but I'd get tired of all that garden salad in about three days.
I hear salads are very easy to get tired of at first if you didn't grow up on them.

When I simplify my eating I go back to my Isagenix shakes with all the nutrients I need. Shake for breakfast shake for lunch and a dinner of my choice.

Takes the thinking out and super easy to maintain.

That's a good menu Spiff, but I'd get tired of all that garden salad in about three days.
When I started to try to eat healthy I found that I was addicted to sugar. Unless a meal provided a quick sugar fix it left me unsatisfied. I solved this by going on a 14 week Adkins induction diet. After clearing my body of constantly craving sugars natural foods tasted better and were more satisfying. Now too much sugar makes me feel ill and natural foods taste 'more better'.

There has to be thousands of salad recipes online; you could go 3 or 4 years without eating the same salad again. It gets harder boondocking as we have limited refrigerator space and have to buy produce in larger than wanted quantities. I tend to mix and match until my next grocery run every two weeks. That seems to be the limit on how long I can keep fresh produce.

Paleo and vegan are pretty much mutually exclusive.

I'm not going to tell you which one I have been for over thirty years because it doesn't matter.

Because I think you're getting some good advice about healthy eating here. Try to think more along the lines of "I like to eat vegan food" or "I like to eat Paleo food" and see what feels right to your body, your lifestyle, and your soul.

I don't know much about nutrition ... diet, revolving around raw, mostly green vegetables, some fruit, and nuts. Maybe boil up some hard-boiled eggs on the weekend and add them to the salad or have them for lunch.
That's not bad for someone that doesn't know much about nutrition :).

Vegetables provide all the fat and protein that humans need. Animal products are less healthy.

Very healthy to eat green vegetables, fruit, and nuts every day. But that's not going to give you enough calories.

Starchy whole foods are a clean source of calories.
Store-bought ready-to-eat starchy whole foods:
  • whole grains (e.g. whole-wheat bread or whole-wheat tortillas)
  • legumes (e.g. canned beans, canned chick peas).
And boil a batch starchy whole foods on the weekend:
  • starchy vegetables (e.g. boiled potatoes)
  • whole grains (e.g. whole-wheat pasta)
The healthiest diet is a whole-food plant-based diet: vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruits, nuts, and spices.
The research behind this claim is posted on: https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/...ding-help-shoving-it-to-fit.44810/post-560083

Last edited:
There are soooo many things to choose from. The big ol' salad stuff, the Fat sandwiches stuff. Yes a good sandwich can be very healthy Good whole grain breads, veggies, lean meats etc easy on the fatty mayo and stuff. Me, I want both of them. I love my salad & sandwich days. I'm not big on boiled eggs, but lots that can be done with them. Cooked and cold grains can add a good taste and are really healthy. I like a well cooked, not over or under cooked, barley with mine. Also brown rice and of course quinoa.

There are tons of recipe sights that discuss the weekend cooking for the week thing. But not sure how your storage is for that type of thing.

I love a good trail mix type lunch too. Dried fruit, good nuts and a bit of chocolate... Your choice of goodies. I love going into Trader Joes for their dried fruit stuff but now most of the grocery stores carry that stuff. Watch for added sugars though.

A high-quality yogurt and some fresh fruit &/or granola is always good. I like cheerios in mine.

Nut butters are great and they can be made into so many goodies. Energy bars and even if I could find the recipe, a really healthy breakfast cookie. Be careful of to much sugar going into your nut butter and jam sandwiches, I like lots of jam so I don't eat that many. My kido liked his with banana slices (so Did Elvis) and sometimes we added thin sliced apples or pears. Veggies and hummus is always good... I am eating that right now.

Just have some fun looking for what works for you!

Peanut butter is a good and cheap protein source as are squash and beans. Eggs also. Easy to store too. As you add fresh vegetables and salad stuff the cost can go up along with storage issues. If you have refrigeration this isn't all that big an issue.
Keep an eye out for farmer's markets but be careful there, they can be expensive too.
I would caution you on making too big of a diet change when you hit the road. It can add to your stress level if your body has to accommodate a change of diet along with the usual stress of such a large lifestyle change. Good luck on your travels.

Clean and cheap...
As someone else mentioned, if you don't consider boiling water to be "cooking", then adding some diced, then boiled potatoes will go a LONG way and are both healthy and filling.

Also in that same vein, frozen vegetables are not only very healthy, but also very affordable, even when buying smaller packages. The variety makes it nearly impossible to get boring. Then for breakfast or even for a snack, plain, uncooked old fashioned oats, with "silk almond milk" and a chopped up apple, raisins or mixed fruit... very quick, simple, healthy and delicious.

This is a constant problem, eating healthy. Some good info here,

BUT

they all depend on having a refrigerator.

Buying salad ingredients, for example, one has to buy a huge packet which lasts a day, maybe two, before it has to be thrown out. This becomes extremely expensive, never mind the continual shopping.

Can someone please point to the answer? I have been struggling with this for years.

Paleo and vegan are pretty much mutually exclusive.

I'm not going to tell you which one I have been for over thirty years because it doesn't matter.

Because I think you're getting some good advice about healthy eating here. Try to think more along the lines of "I like to eat vegan food" or "I like to eat Paleo food" and see what feels right to your body, your lifestyle, and your soul.

The Pegan diet combines the Paleo and vegan diets. I just bought the book so I haven't even started reading it yet but it's by Mark Hyman who I highly respect.

I think your proposed diet looks very healthy. I would just add some type of fish 2 days a week, even if it's only tuna. I eat a primarily pescatarian/Mediterranean diet, excluding wheat and limiting grains and dairy. At first I went completely vegan but it required way too many supplements. Adding fish twice a week and occasionally yogurt and eggs eliminates the need for any supplements.

I have no idea how much I spend on food so I'm no help there.

I just bought the book Pegan by Mark Hyman. It combines the paleo and vegan diet. I haven't read it yet but Mark is all about the facts so I'm sure it's well researched.

I'm thinking if I'm going to be vehicle-dwelling, I want to do it so that during the week, I don't have to cook anything, and on the weekends, I have the option of cooking full meals.

I'm going to start trying salads. Maybe eat a fat and protein-rich meal for lunch, and then eat a big salad for dinner.

I was thinking for lunch, carry a jar of plain Greek yogurt with nuts, berries, maybe a dark chocolate morsels, and a nut butter mixed in it, and for dinner, either a nut butter sandwich with sprouted bread, or a salad.

I don't know much about nutrition, but I've realized just how much my poor diet has impacted my mental health and energy levels, and am trying to change to a more paleo and more vegan diet, revolving around raw, mostly green vegetables, some fruit, and nuts. Maybe boil up some hard-boiled eggs on the weekend and add them to the salad or have them for lunch.

Also, how much should I be expecting to spend trying to eat healthy out of a vehicle on two meals a day?
Eating " healthy" depends on your age and the condition of your metabolism in my opinion. You may not be able or want to eat what others eat. Millions of people in the US are prediabetic or diabetic and many dont even know it. For example recently I have felt the need to eliminate sugar, processed foods, milk and carbs like (rice, pasta, bread) etc. I felt at age almost 65 I was headed to diabetes. There are hidden sugars in many foods like yogurt. Fruit has alot of sugar as well. Read labels! It depends what you want for your body. Other people's opinions may not be ideal for you. Read and research. I would advocate for eating as healthy as possible. It takes discipline and commitment. As you get older nutrition becomes even more vital for your well being. If you are considering vegan make sure you add the proper vitamins. And of course seek nutrition advise from experts, not just what others are eating. Just my 2 cents.

BUT

Buying salad ingredients, for example, one has to buy a huge packet which lasts a day, maybe two, before it has to be thrown out. This becomes extremely expensive, never mind the continual shopping.

Can someone please point to the answer? I have been struggling with this for years.
You can always buy fruits and vegetables that don't require refrigeration. A Google search will tell you which ones those are. Other than that, you have to get a 12 volt refrigerator - I have a small 21 liter fridge - or a cooler. I had a large Coleman 5 day cooler years ago but maybe they make small ones now.

BUT

Well, a cooler has been the standard before fridges became common. Block ice lasts much longer than cube, and dont let the cold water out after it melts, its still cold and still keeps the food cold.

. . . Some good info here,
BUT they all depend on having a refrigerator.
I did 2 years with a small cooler; its doable but you are limiting yourself to a week maximum between grocery runs. And meats that require refrigeration need to be kept in contact with the ice.

A good cooler with quality block ice can last a week in 90º temps; I wrapped mine in a sleeping bag, kept it out of the sun, and limited my opening to twice a day. Dry ice is another option that costs more and is harder to find. I have no experience with it.

Canned goods are another option: I've mixed canned green beans, canned chicken breast, and bacon bits cold when I didn't want to cook. The variety isn't there and for my diet variety is important. There is a lot about nutrition science doesn't know and maximizing variety is my way of trying to get the phytonutrients my body needs.

Hey Gary sounds like your on the right track. In my youth I was veggie orientated kind of raw before that was a thing. Ate large salads with heavy dose of fats in the form of Ranch dressing, then. Also some bread and frequently ate baked potatoes smothered with whatever and nut butter sandwiches. Often just ate a bowl of oat's I poured hot water on and a hand full of trail mix. I was an avid daily jogger too and lived in a step van back then for a yr+ but often ate just one meal or equal to that in a day. Fast forward, I have been generally more healthy than most of the American ppl and seriously stellar healthier than my family who are all American with all the diseases that go with that; over weight, obese, diabetic, heart disease, high blood pressure and chloresterol and colon cancer. However even I as I aged became more complacent lazy LOL and often while eating healthy organic still was being more of a carbohydratarian than a vegetarian which is very typical. Well I got sick with my own crisis during covid without covid. My WBC, D and other labs were not good at all in Aug. 2021. I researched and came up with a plan with my PCP. Everything I found pointed back to fresh fruits and vegetables. I had battles with bacterial infections and so was on a very restricted diet trying to get my gut health fixed so during recent months I was not able to eat even healthy raw things initially. Yeah I had to give up my organic tortilla chips and so on and started eating more lean and vetted proteins-chicken and turkey, but that was just a stage. Although the moral of the story is returning to a more "FRESH" fruits and veggies is the outcome. I just recently was able to add nut butters, honey and even raw onion w/o negative outcomes. I started taking vite's and supp's again and especially some probiotics and vite's directly increase better mental health i.e. B-12. I am all for both getting these from whole foods free of glysophate and other toxins as well as taking supp's. I cannot give you a cost because while I live on a tight budget, I am an organic farmer and grow much of my own rather than buying it. I consider myself a snow birder at best and no longer a full timer esp. since I love nature,gardening and growing my own. BUT I do consider given the climate of things environmentally and politically that I may move into full timer again as I age further. I hope that helps. Ironically I snubbed those docuseries on bio-nome gut health as a fad until I found myself in a health crisis that called me to pay attention and get on board in 2021. I still think hands down even buying organic fruits and veggies are cheaper in every sense of the word in the long run. I used to buy some conventional things to save $ but once I found out which were even more toxic through Food n Water Watch and PAN.org I became even more vigilant and never buy commercial almonds or strawberries EVER. Recently while looking to build my immune system back up I have deleted everything and anything not organic off my consumption. But hey I'm saving a lot of $ not eating those prepared foods like those 4th of July chips I used to graze on. LOL ! Even so called healthy organic snacks are prepared foods and there is a health costs in addition to the cost of such emo- comfort foods. Good luck mate ~

Leafy greens don't last. I'm not that fond of them anyway, so I don't care. ;) Carrots last and I like the taste! Bananas, oranges, apples all last. Just eat what you like that doesn't spoil quickly and is healthy. Plenty of choices.

When you go to town you can splurge on a salad bar or buffet and get food that you might be missing while camped.