Maximum Dimensions of a Cargo Carrier

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBeFree

Reaction score
I'd like to attach a cargo carrier to the rear of my travel trailer but I'm not finding any requirements on the maximum dimensions or lighting requirements.  I'm thinking if it extends a particular distance from the rear of the trailer I may need lighting (running, turn, and brake lights).

I'd like to create a custom cargo carrier which would be something like the carrier in the attached image.  This is from a youtube video -

Thanks!

Attachments

• cargo.png
    cargo.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 16
Not enough data to look at the Youtube video so I can't see what you're looking at.

But -it's not how far the cargo carrier extends from the TT, it's whether or not it's blocking visuals of all the lights and license plate. If it obscures any of those you'll have to be adding lights that are visible from the rear.

Almost There said:
Not enough data to look at the Youtube video so I can't see what you're looking at.

But -it's not how far the cargo carrier extends from the TT, it's whether or not it's blocking visuals of all the lights and license plate. If it obscures any of those you'll have to be adding lights that are visible from the rear.

Awesome!  So I just need to keep the lights and plate clear.  Cool.

Don't most states have a law requiring anything sticking out longer than 4 feet behind the rear be marked with a red flag? Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

AJ452 said:
Don't most states have a law requiring anything sticking out longer than 4 feet behind the rear be marked with a red flag?  Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Thanks AJ452,

I was concerned about that as well.  A contractor said he had to attach red flags to his ladder if it extended too far beyond the rear or front of his van but I did not remember the distance.