Making plans!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2PB

Reaction score
I am planning to hit the road with my 6 pound chihuahua and 2 cats by October 1, 2021. 
My plan is to get a Class C RV for now due to the number of pets I have. My cats are getting older so I don't expect them to be with me after 5 years. Perhaps at that time I will get a van. 
I am looking forward to breaking free of the chains of working just to pay the bills. I am more than middle aged and it is time to take care of me and see this country. Time to stop thinking and talking about it and DO IT!

Welcome!
I like your last line, I keep reminding myself of that...

Well, my plans may have been changed for me. I currently work from home but my employer has told me I am required to have DSL or cable internet connection. They say cellular or satellite is unacceptable. If I didn't have student loans to pay then I would give the job up, but I do.

If you can find an area near a metro area you could maybe rent a temporary, monthly, office space with cable. You couldn't travel far, but might be able to relocate to a place that fits you better.

Mom2PB said:
I am more than middle aged and it is time to take care of me and see this country. Time to stop thinking and talking about it and DO IT!

Hi Mom.. ;)

I might be a tad older than you, but I am on the same path... I had wanted to launch this fall, but found that there was **way** to much to do to divest of material goods, sell the house, buy and Rv and hit the road...  the divesting thing... what I have wished for, is to have whatever RV I am goign to use in the drive way so over the next 6 months I could slowly populate it with what goes, to get it out of the way, to know what will fit, to know what won't, to know... so much... in my case I have to sell my home before I have the funds to buy the RV....

I wrote myself "a plan" that tries  to frame out what it is going to take to get from here to there.. "there" being rolling down the drive for the last time..... if you want I would send you a copy to maybe give you ideas..

I have a 10.5 yo 90# long haired Sheppard who will go with, but I am not sure I will pick up another once she crosses the bridge... part of me wants to, but it can make it challenging to live on the road with a pet... tough call..

I found the decision of what to get tough too... a van won;t work for me.. I am 6'4".. so it is a C or an A... if you watch  my vids it'll give you an idea how I decided what to do.. watch a ton of videos from a lot of diff folks about how they do it... read everything... tell yourself you do not have to make a decision for months.. :)  

Keep us posted about your path... :D  I started a Captains Blog in the forum here...

cheers!

Mom2PB said:
They say cellular or satellite is unacceptable.

At this point they are correct.. the "lag time" with current Sat tech is horrible, and Cell services are not reliable enough to be consistent for you over time and place.

However, by Oct of '21  the Starlink system should be a lot farther along. Look up the throughput numbers , and they will be as good or better than a lot of DSL connections. Then you can run them by your boss and see if it works.... 

I suppose you could sign up for the Starlink, get it running, work from home with it now where you are, without telling the boss, and after a few months of it working well, what excuse would they have?  ( sneaky!!!)

JJsimonds said:
 Hi Mom.. ;)

I might be a tad older than you, but I am on the same path... I had wanted to launch this fall, but found that there was **way** to much to do to divest of material goods, sell the house, buy and Rv and hit the road...  the divesting thing... what I have wished for, is to have whatever RV I am goign to use in the drive way so over the next 6 months I could slowly populate it with what goes, to get it out of the way, to know what will fit, to know what won't, to know... so much... in my case I have to sell my home before I have the funds to buy the RV....

I wrote myself "a plan" that tries  to frame out what it is going to take to get from here to there.. "there" being rolling down the drive for the last time..... if you want I would send you a copy to maybe give you ideas..

I have done the downsizing thing. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I now live in a 192 sq ft, smaller than most people's bedrooms.
However, a van would be way too small for me!

I will check on Starlink in a few months. Maybe that will work for me! Hope to see you on the road one day.

I will check out your videos. I would love to see your plan!

Michele

Latest posts