Making cables?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
I want to make a quick disconnect to my RV batteries.  I already have the Anderson Connectors and 6 gauge cable but no crimping tool.  Can I solder the connector to the cable?  Is there a better solution without buying another tool?

6 awg seems small. What Anderson are you using? Crimped are much better. But they can be soldered if you are any good.

Travelmonkey said:
I want to make a quick disconnect to my RV batteries.  I already have the Anderson Connectors and 6 gauge cable but no crimping tool.  Can I solder the connector to the cable?  Is there a better solution without buying another tool?
go to youtube

in the search box enter these words     crimp anderson connector

that will bring up videos on how to crimp without having that tool  and of course also videos on how to crimp it using the tool.

having the tool makes it almost a no-brainer however the tool for 6 gauge is not cheap. do you have a crimper for 6 gauge? IMHO soldering is the least desirable way to do it. highdesertranger

No crimp tool and since I'd likely use just once or twice, I rather not buy. 

I watched a video of half filling the connector with solder that looks like it might work...

Thank you all for suggestions. I typed quick disconnect but I actually meant a quick connector to charge.

x2 @ 1/2 full of hot solder and hot cable

I've done tons of them, you need

1) some heat shrink tubing
2) a basic small torch
3) some pliers or vise grips to hold the lug up vertically
4) a hammer
5) the right solder.

Put some heat shrink tube a ways up the sleeve of the cable and expose 1\2" of bare cable.

Heat the lug and push the solder in to it until it melts easily.

Continue to apply flame and s l o w l y plunge the bare copper down in to the solder until you can't go more and the solder overflows and leave in place for 10 seconds. Remove the flame.

Turn off the torch, lay the lug horizontally on to the concrete or some really solid surface and whack the back of the lug with the hammer once while it's still very hot. There's your solder, and there's your mechanical grip.

Push the heat shrink tube down to the joint covering the seam and heat and shrink it. If you want to be savvy use red and black cables and heat shrink tube.

We didn't have vibrations to worry about so never hit the solder joint. If you strike the joint too soon, you could get a cold solder joint as the solder fractures.

Don't forget to use flux. I still don't recommend soldering stranded wires except on electronic boards.