Magnet generator. Is this possible?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slynne

Reaction score
I hope to be self sufficient out on the road and while I plan on using solar for most of my energy needs, having a backup would be nice too. Since fans and lights will be a big thing I need, this kind of system, scaled up a bit, sounds like it could help. Still,I cant help feeling there must be a catch or else someone would already be doing this. Does the magnet lose it's magnetic field? Are the magnets too heavy? I dont feel that i have enough knowledge of things electrical to know though. What do you guys think?

[for low bandwidth folks, this is a video of a set up where a very small fan is set up to run powered by a magnet. the fan acts as a generator and powers a single LED bulb.]

Looks simple and cheap enough for you to try out and report back. But I doubt the guy in the video is the first one to ever think of something like this. If it was practical there would be people selling them all made up.

After having my expensive inverter generator stolen I bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232264667647

It is cheap, light weight, and tops off my batteries on cloudy and overcast days. Today was one of those days. Cold and windy and rainy and cloudy. I attached this to the batteries and ran it for two hours and they are good for the night at 13.7 volts.

And if someone steals this I am not out a thousand bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont believe it.  1.5  volt battery would not make any 120V bulb that bright.  

SCAM.

Another vote for scam.
For that to work the magnet in his hand must put out a pulsating magnetic field. There is probably wires going to it that are hidden by his hand. Instead of really being a magnet, it is probably an electrical coil.

It isn't anything needs opinion, just 5 sec googling shows the debunking.

The shape of the bulb is no indication of the voltage or technology used. I have a LED that looks like a Edison bulb and is bright with one and a half volts.
The fan would bump as the magnet was moved, but then would stop. There is no free ride.

I would bet money that there is a battery hidden in the base of the light bulb that is powering both the light and the fan.

Especially since the bulb from the beginning of the video (a regular incandescent) isn't the bulb at the end of the video.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I feel like I really have a lot to learn about things electrical. That is unless I can find a reputable company that installs whole solar/wind systems but I am sure they must exist out there somewhere. It will be at least a year before I need to find out.

Latest posts