Made my last rent payment today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwood

Reaction score
The thread title says it all. I made my last rent payment today and am paid up til the end of September. After that it will be full time living in the van. I have been working towards this goal for quite a while and it seems a little surreal that it is coming up so quick now. I still have one more major project to do on the van. 

I haven't built my galley yet. If I had to leave now the van is pretty livable but I have one month to build out my kitchen and then it's just some little projects after that. 

I work full time and travel in the van for fun so it took me quite a while to figure out what I wanted in the van and how to outfit it. Plus at the time I bought it I didn't really have a time limit to get it done. But life changes and now I either need to find another place to live (and work on the van) or take the leap and move into it. 

I have been renting a room from a very good friend and she has been gracious enough to let me set up my tools in her garage and do all the work I needed to in the driveway. I might be able to find someone else that is so helpful but it is a lot to ask someone unless you are pretty close with them. Plus I don't really want to move and set up again and take over a friends garage. 

I'm about as ready as I am going to be. I have taken some long trips and feel pretty comfortable in my set up so far. I live in AZ and will be here all winter so I hope to meet as many as I can at the RTR this year.

Welcome aboard !
You're in a good spot to meet up with a buncha tribe.

I'd say take the plunge and move in full time as you planned. I think you are just feeling a little nervous (cold feet) now that the long awaited time is here. You have spent a lot of time in the van as you pointed out, so just think of it as a really long weekend trip. LOL

Congratulations, that's awesome for you!!!!!!!

I made my last rent payment on the first of August and moved in with my sister last weekend. She's letting me stay rent free to save money to get a vehicle then I quit my job and hit the road. Hope to see you on the road soon.

Keep us posted!!!!

YAY for you.   I wish I had done this 10 years ago.   I might have some hair left.   (Shut up,  Jim)

Pat

pnolans said:
YAY for you.   I wish I had done this 10 years ago.   I might have some hair left.   (Shut up,  Jim)

Pat

Saves money on haircuts. Perfect

Now that I am in the final month I am frantically trying to finish projects when I would rather just take a nice trip. But I figure a little hard work now will pay off down the road. I can feel the hours slipping by as this final month has started. I'm a little nervous and a little excited. I've taken some long trips so I just thinking about this as one super long trip.

I have already gotten rid of most of my things but I still have my tools and such to do some projects until the van is 100% done on the big stuff. I'm thinking of getting a small storage unit to put a few things in for the short term. If I need to do some work I know I can set up in a friends driveway for a day or so to work. I just can't leave all my stuff there.

What I really need to do (but have no time right now) is to start a build thread to show what I have done so far to get here. I think once I'm out on the road and not working on the van every day I will have plenty of time to catch up and do a proper build thread.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

deadwood said:
I'm thinking of getting a small storage unit to put a few things in for the short term. If I need to do some work I know I can set up in a friends driveway for a day or so to work. I just can't leave all my stuff there.

I have done a similar thing. ..I have rented a fairly large storage unit is call my " garage"  . It is in a storage facility that has one section devoted to large RV's. .

So I have a large space in front of my garage,  on concrete to work on my trailer or my truck.   It even has shore power! I keep my table saw and other tools that are too heavy to carry on the road! 

Wish you much success,  let's see the build! 

Pat

Congrats and good luck! I remember when I paid my last month in rent. I also moved straight into my vehicle afterwards. I had one full day to finalize my living conditions. That night, I slept in the van for the very first time...

deadwood said:
The thread title says it all. I made my last rent payment today and am paid up til the end of September. After that it will be full time living in the van. I have been working towards this goal for quite a while and it seems a little surreal that it is coming up so quick now. I still have one more major project to do on the van. 

I haven't built my galley yet. If I had to leave now the van is pretty livable but I have one month to build out my kitchen and then it's just some little projects after that. 

I work full time and travel in the van for fun so it took me quite a while to figure out what I wanted in the van and how to outfit it. Plus at the time I bought it I didn't really have a time limit to get it done. But life changes and now I either need to find another place to live (and work on the van) or take the leap and move into it. 

I have been renting a room from a very good friend and she has been gracious enough to let me set up my tools in her garage and do all the work I needed to in the driveway. I might be able to find someone else that is so helpful but it is a lot to ask someone unless you are pretty close with them. Plus I don't really want to move and set up again and take over a friends garage. 

I'm about as ready as I am going to be. I have taken some long trips and feel pretty comfortable in my set up so far. I live in AZ and will be here all winter so I hope to meet as many as I can at the RTR this year.

I think it's interesting that you noted "I have been working towards this goal for quite a while."  I don't think some people realize the thoughtful and purposeful planning that can make this possible. I know some people rush into it, but there are others who are somewhat methodical.  For me, I'm self employed, but about 1/3 of my income relies on having sticks & bricks home office.  I've been working for roughly a year to transition that income to alternative revenue streams. Almost there :) My hope is by October 31st that I'll be able to work anywhere where I have access to the internet.  Oh, and I had to build my van too! Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to cross paths at the RTR :)

Good Luck!

-T

Well... tomorrows the last day of September and October 1st is my first planned day of full timing. I'm 98% ready to go. Just a few small things to get the van finished and then I can pack up and hit the road. I rent a room from a good friend so if I stay an extra day or two packing it's not a problem.

Actually I'll probably stay a few extra so I can help her get her house ready to rent out. So I have a couple day grace period to make sure the van is ready and then a few days of doing some "honey do" projects for her.

But either way it's time to full time it!!!

I am starting full time this month,too. I'm visiting family to say bye bye and then I head for Ehrenburg Az. on Sat or Sun.. So excited to be free! Leaving from S.C.

Deadwood, what you have is senioritis. Happens when you work really hard for a goal (like graduation) and the actual jump seems very life changing. It probably will be, but you know the good things will not change. When you do this, you will be what we call "arrived!" That's such an awesome thing. You've worked hard for this. Won't be long and you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labors!!

deadwood said:
I have already gotten rid of most of my things but I still have my tools and such to do some projects until the van is 100% done on the big stuff. I'm thinking of getting a small storage unit to put a few things in for the short term. If I need to do some work I know I can set up in a friends driveway for a day or so to work. I just can't leave all my stuff there.

If you're at all like me (and Lord knows, we all hope you're not), you will have to ride herd on yourself to get rid of that last little bit , except for those things you are SURE you are going to want to keep.  I still have a very large storage unit in Co. Springs , that has tools and lumber and books and my Jeep Cherokee, etc... I need to keep making myself get rid of stuff.  And I believe I have been doing a good job, but it requires constant focus. 

But it's worth every bit of it.  this is the best thing I've done for my sanity in quite a long time.  Living this lifestyle, that is.  So, keep going.  Hope to see you soon. 

Pat

Well... I'm almost in the van. At the last minute my daughter decided to move back to AZ. I'm pretty much all moved into the van but have been visiting with her as she gets settled in back here. It works out good because I had just a few small project that I wanted to finish up but mostly its good to hang out with her.

Since she hasn't started a new job yet we are planning a road trip up the California coast for the last 10 days of October so I guess that will be the real start of van life. For now I'm part in the van and part visiting her where I have a place to stay.

As for downsizing. I have gotten rid of quite a few things but ended up putting a few things in storage so I would have time to go through them and sell them off or donate them. It was just too much for the van. Well after 3 days of storage someone cut the lock at my mini storage and stole some of my stuff. I had my bike in there that I was going to take on the road with me and it was a nice folding bike so I'm kind of bummed about that. But for everything else they stole I realized right away that I just didn't care too much. So I'll be over there sooner then I thought to clear it all out and not worry about it anymore. If it doesn't fit in the van then it gets donated or sold.

I'm still in the road-trip stage of my "portable home" journey, but at least I have a vehicle I know I could live out of should the need arise. Becoming homeless was always on my list of "really bad thing" scenarios, and now I have my backup plan sitting in my apartment parking lot. Even if I were to lose my license or the car broke down beyond repair, I could be out on BLM land and arrange for somebody to tow me 25 miles every 2 weeks....  :)

I totally agree with the security of knowing you have a place to go. That was a big one for me. I'm still in the van. Working this summer in Philadelphia. And living for free and saving money. But knowing that I can live comfortably in the van and that it is mine is worth a lot to me. Even if I ever decide to move back into a house or apartment I'll still have the van and know I always have a place to go.