Lower Cost Tow Vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My idea of "beating the system" is to buy vehicles at auction.  I've bought more than a dozen ex-government cars over the years - including ex-police cars - and have never had to pay more than about half of what the blue book said it should be worth.  I always end up paying just a little more than what the used car dealers are willing to pay, and avoid having to pay them a profit.

Unlike buying from a dealer OR a private party, my experience has been that the government has been painfully honest about any known problems with the car. While they all break eventually, I've always gotten several years of trouble free service from every one I've ever bought.

Yes I'm now also curious what sort of answer you're looking for.

AFAIK there are no "tricks" other than

1 choosing the most cost-effective brand/model for the load

2 shopping for the right year/mileage that suits your budget and repair skills

maybe some "smart buying" tips

The lower-end consumer SUVs are cheaper for good shape because there are so many, lower-mile commercial and clean HD pickups are more rare

highdesertranger said:
yep with your definition of what your looking for,  you are looking for a pre computerized truck.  or one that doesn't need the primitive 1st generation computers.  highdesertranger

HDR nailed it.  That's your only option.

hepcat said:
HDR nailed it.  That's your only option.

Pre-computerized? Automobiles have been computerized since the 1970s. What kind of body would something that old have? What if parts become difficult to get. (I have even noticed that on my 1995 Ford van; the parts only available from Ford are very high.)

I don't want to make a do-it-yourself project out of a motor vehicle. I just want to drive it.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
Pre-computerized? 

I don't want to make a do-it-yourself project out of a motor vehicle. I just want to drive it.

You have a choice... modular construction with electronics that last a long time but fail catastrophically when they fail and require parts replacement, or the old mechanical systems that require regular maintenance and attention to keep them running.

The upside to the new stuff is that the MTBF is much lower and they last two to three times as long as the '60s cars before rebuilds are necessary.  The downside is that they're complex, require computer analysis to figure out what's wrong, have bloated 'safety' and 'comfort' features and they're expensive.

The upside to the old stuff is that repairing them is a relatively straightforward process and relatively inexpensive.  The downside is that they're not as comfortable and don't have the conveniences.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
Pre-computerized? Automobiles have been computerized since the 1970s. What kind of body would something that old have? What if parts become difficult to get. (I have even noticed that on my 1995 Ford van; the parts only available from Ford are very high.)
1986 and older chevy small block,parts are cheap and everywhere,my 77 chevy van has a couple minor surface rust spot,the rest is solid,older thicker gauge sheet metal and since they made them for 20+ years i can get a door,fender anywhere

my 85 chevy 4x4 is the same way,parts everywhere

then you basically have two choices,buy a cheap vehicle and drive it till it dies then repeat or next to new with full warranty and road assistance

computers came into use in the 80's. the closest thing to a computer my 78 has is the wiper delay module. on one hand you are saying you don't want this or that and then you say you just want to drive it. all vehicles need maintenance and repairs you can't just drive it. an older Chevy truck has a great parts support network you can literally buy almost any part for them at reasonable prices. but if you just want to drive it you need to buy a new vehicle with all that stuff you said you didn't want with a factory warranty. you got some decision making to do. highdesertranger

Optimistic Paranoid said:
My idea of "beating the system" is to buy vehicles at auction.  I've bought more than a dozen ex-government cars over the years - including ex-police cars - and have never had to pay more than about half of what the blue book said it should be worth.  I always end up paying just a little more than what the used car dealers are willing to pay, and avoid having to pay them a profit.

Unlike buying from a dealer OR a private party, my experience has been that the government has been painfully honest about any known problems with the car. While they all break eventually, I've always gotten several years of trouble free service from every one I've ever bought.

I have wondered about that. Perhaps exaggerated fear (or laziness) has gotten in my way. It helps to hear about somebody who made it work.

By the way, I am currently campground hosting for one of the land management agencies. They mentioned their shiny new pickup truck that they paid $28,000 for. The MSRP was in the 40s. So that could help establish a basis for saving money with a government auction.

If you're buying new, buy from fleet suppliers, who will have 'base' vehicles with a minimum of gingerbread that the consumer insists on, and less 'oh lookame' image BS
If not, gov't auctions or old pre computerized vehicles

In 1997, we bought a 1993 Ford Club Wagon to tow a trailer with and drive the short distance to one of our jobs. We paid a total of $14,000 with everything. It had 63,000 miles on it. We spent an average of $1,000 per year on maintenance. We just traded it in December of this year. We have never purchased new and, frankly, buying a quality vehicle, you don't end up with constant repairs. We have owned top end of all and they kept giving. I am sure the 1993 will run for another 10 years or more and that someone was delighted to get it.

OP mentioned other forums and was critical of them, forums which I can assure you that I have been a member of for years and they are helpful, BUT they are not political about vehicles/RVs etc. but about the lifestyle and enjoying it.

OP do you need assistance in actually identifying an affordable tow vehicle, or is this an attack on the automobile industry, RVing and "gas guzzlers"? We have people of all financial means here and most have found a way to make it work, so it is doable for those who want to get it done.

Snow Gypsy said:
OP mentioned other forums and was critical of them, forums which I can assure you that I have been a member of for years and they are helpful, BUT they are not political about vehicles/RVs etc. but about the lifestyle and enjoying it.

OP do you need assistance in actually identifying an affordable tow vehicle, or is this an attack on the automobile industry, RVing and "gas guzzlers"?  We have people of all financial means here and most have found a way to make it work, so it is doable for those who want to get it done.

I agree, Snow Gypsy. This is a thread about politics, not cheap RV living. 

In spite of OP's view that government regulations and the "Federal Reserve" causes new vehicles to be so expensive, there are lots of government rules that make RV living cheaper. Why can people park at Home Depot and Walmart? Because there is a surplus of parking. Why is this? Because local governments demanded a certain amount of parking for the square feet of the store and most of the time it is not needed. Thousands of people every night are parking free on Fed,. State and Local park areas.

I happen to dislike, as does OP, all the new systems and gadgets on new vehicles. Little motors to run two dry clutches through six gears? A dozen voice commands for the synced phone? These are not government mandated--but stupid IMHO. Nevertheless, the quality of vehicles has been rising. The average age is increasing because they last longer. We all want something for nothing, but it just does not happen.

Read 4 pages just to figure out that its either trolling or simply a rant/whimsical question that he doesnt even care is answered...   :huh:

For the rest of us that bother to think about it, in addition to buying fleet, government surplus, or auction vehicles, there's also getting the unit from the older person. There's lots of older people who have to give up their cars due to loss of eyesight etc... 

The town I am in now has a couple senior type condo places and there's always some "old boat" with a for sale sign parked on the corner. Sometimes its some Honda Civic or other econobox, sometimes a vintage 1970's or 80's full-sized domestic (Caddy or Lincoln are popular), sometimes early 2000's sedans. 

Whatever it is, usually it was often their last new car and it was well taken care of with low miles. Right now there's a 2000 Buick Lesabre custom, 112,000 miles for $2,000 that I've been wanting.  I've owned 3 of these same aged LeSabres and they are fine vehicles, big, comfy, plenty of power from the 3800 cc v6, get great highway mileage and could pull the OP's little trailer without a problem.  For $2,000 that's "beating the system".  While it has a few computers, its basically a throw a way vehicle due to cost. Because of its low miles you could see 5-10 years of service out of it.  What else do you want?

His hazy question aside, the old van with the nearly indestructible Ford 300 straight six or the Dodge 318 is pretty close to a "last a long time" tow rig. Any full-sized van can pull his weight and more. They are cheap, roomy and solid. Parts aplenty'.  That's why "we" favor older vans
:D

ArtW said:
If you're buying new, buy from fleet suppliers, who will have 'base' vehicles with a minimum of gingerbread that the consumer insists on, and less 'oh lookame' image BS
If not, gov't auctions or old pre computerized vehicles

I'm interested. By "fleet suppliers," do you mean NAPA stores, utility companies, etc.?

Do such fleets sell off their inventory under their own websites, or do they use some middle-man mega-auctioneer?

there are car dealers who specialize in fleet sales
generally they sell to fleets, of course, but if they have inventory on hand some of them will sell to the general public, too

Fleet suppliers means the fleet dealerships that sell new fleet vehicles. I think one of Chevy's biggest is in Idaho or somewhere around there.

But I'm telling you the only way to beat the system, period end of discussion, is to not play their game, automobiles are merely a modern luxury, a short period in man's time on this Earth.
So animals if you really need all that heavy stuff in your trailer if not you don't need anything but your one two feet.

I'm reasonably sure you are just trolling but I don't mind voicing my opinion.

yeah, but how much travel could you legally do in it? can they even be driven on the street? and if not, how would you travel in one?
BTW, mules might be better than draft horses?

Animal drawn carriages are legal on all public roads except "limited access" roadways like Interstates but they are also allowed on roads and trails that automobiles are not permitted on so it's a wash. You need no driver's license, insurance, etc(unless you operate a business out of it). It is still a "vehicle" in most states meaning DUI and traffic law still applies but it's not a "motor vehicle".

I personally would opt for mules or yak over horses as well but that's not the common opinion.

That's genuinely a very interesting idea, one of the problems some have encountered trying to go mobile have been vehicle breakdowns and not being very good mechanics
My own take is I have learned to hate working on cars, trucks, and especially vans
That's one reason I'm considering a moto camper
The wagon might even be better, provided I learn enough about draft animals to keep them healthy

The Amish travel on the streets. And, gypsy wagons are making a real comeback. Some communities require you pick up the "droppings" though. Maybe dry it and burn it as fuel to keep warm?

Here, we have these free catalogues of vehicles from the surrounding area, quite a span of distance, and I see quite a few what appears to be good deals on all sorts of trucks, commercial type. The Ford dealer sells Ford vans (fleet) coming in from lease and the car rental agency and u-move-it companies can sell vans. Also, right now the prices for RVs and vehicles are particularly high and will remain that way until at least fall. We bought one of our vehicles in December and the other in January, dealers are "hungry" end of year/inventory.

Also, wanted to thank all of those responding. That is what is so great about CRL, the eagerness to help another and I truly never remember anyone coming that didn't get great ideas despite the hurdles they faced. We have a lot of troubleshooting geniuses here when it comes to "getting there"!