Picking a tow vehicle/field trip mobile...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
From what I understand you have to deduct the weight of your tow vehicle from your towing capacity to start with.  If your vehicle weighs 6k you are now at 6k towing not 12k. 

You would subtract the vehicle's weight from the GCWR, but NOT from the towing capacity (GTW) rating.

RepublicOfTXPatriot said:
Also you can consider air bag helper suspension in the rear for extra payload.

Not if you don't have the right rear end and suspension to begin with.

So I was all on course to get the suburban, and then I started looking at the Sequoia. My wallet just sort of opened up for a 2008 5.7 4x4 with 140k... I think I'm in love... :)

I want to thank everyone who gave input and guidance to me in finding a vehicle. I will look forward to seeing you all at the next RTR :) Then you can laugh at the guy who was going to get a converted cargo trailer and a tough as nails Suburban, and ended up with a glorified soccer mom hauler, and an airstream the size of a small state! It's so funny the way that things go sometimes, but I will hope that I have made good choices even though some were made because I thought they were cool as hell, lol. I did email and get some advice on towing from a gent at canamrv.com and he thought the Sequoia was a great choice for the size of my airstream, though the Suburban would have worked too :)
IMG_0185 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0185 copy.jpg
    IMG_0185 copy.jpg
    1.7 MB