Hi to all from south Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daneswin

Reaction score
<div>&nbsp;</div><div>I found this site yesterday as I was exploring various topics of interest. &nbsp;I have been full time RVing for 15 months now and I plan to continue into the foreseeable future. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>I started this journey in 2007 when I first began researching the idea of "peak oil" &nbsp;This entry point led me to research and understand the problems around the world with water, food, soil, deforestation, and on and on. &nbsp;Then along comes the bursting of the real estate bubble and my study began to follow government sponsored bubbles, the operation of the central banks, and enslavement by debt which are even bigger problems than the ones I started to study! &nbsp;They are ALL interrelated though.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Anyway, I decided I didn't want to get caught in the downdraft more than I already had so in 2011 I sold the 2 properties (at a loss) that I owned in Dallas, became debt free, then bought a tow truck (2004 Dodge Ram 2500) and a 34' travel trailer. &nbsp;I sold a lot of stuff and the rest that I don't need to live in my trailer, I put in storage. &nbsp;I kept my Honda ST1100 (40 mpg) to ride when the weather is nice to save on fuel costs. &nbsp;My goal is to learn to live on next to nothing.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>About 4 months ago, I completed the solar installation in my travel trailer which is 750W of solar panels (3), 4 6V deep cycle batteries (440 AH), a charge controler and a 600W inverter. &nbsp;I can boondock easily with this setup unless the weather is too cold which is a problem for my water anyway so I have been in the south of Texas this winter. &nbsp;I use a little shore power when I have it to run my coffee maker and food steamer since they require more than 600W. I just boil water with propane otherwise. Last month my electric bill was $1.22 for this. &nbsp;I can go more into this in the appropriate forum later.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>As I have seen mentioned by some others in the forums I have looked at so far, the tow vehicle is a major expense and to live on nothing, I need to become more stationary. &nbsp;Also, diesel is expensive so moving around is costly. &nbsp;I am doing this now to help me decide where to land. Also, you can't eat healthy while on the road living in the bounties with only small towns at your disposal. &nbsp;They don't know about organic food away from the cities. &nbsp;The pesticides, chemicals, drugs and other poisons in the food and water supplies is another of my topics of interest. So I need to have a little plot of my own, a few acres, to grow my own food.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>I have become very disillusioned with our society and the theiving banksters, rapacious mega-corporations and elite thugs who run it. So getting out of the matrix and off-grid are major goals - that is out from under their foot and their control. Full time RVing is a step towards preparing for an uncertain future. &nbsp;There are a few bright spots but the huge and unsustainable debts hanging over the world won't go away without a major reset of some kind. &nbsp;Timing is the only question in my mind.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Hmmmm... It has been cloudy for a few days so my mood may be a little gloomy as a result. &nbsp;The temperature is nice though! &nbsp;And I'm looking forward to scooting around in the hill country south and west from Austin in the coming weeks. &nbsp;Meanwhile, I am looking for affordable property for my homebase. &nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>I am really looking forward to studying the threads on this site. &nbsp;A lot of people here are part of that slice of our population who are figuring out how to get by on much less, partly out of necessity and partly out of recognition that we have become a society of wasteful, mindless consumers. These are the people that I seek. From the grassroots, we can change things.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Has anyone been following the fiasco in Cyprus? &nbsp;The solution of the failing banks is to confiscate money from their depositors to cover their losses! &nbsp;This will become the template to be used by banks around the world as the dominoes begin to fall.&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>OK! &nbsp;Enough! &nbsp;Don't get me started on this stuff!! &nbsp;But, work on being prepared...</div>

<span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>welcome .... blkjak</strong></span>

<p>Welcome!&nbsp; Isn't it nice to be self sufficient?&nbsp; I'm boondocking 100+ miles from home base for the next few days and, *yawn*, decided who needs a campground?&nbsp; (I think they are for people with big rigs or families)<br><br>Free is awesome!&nbsp; And boondocking is so much more private, too!<br><br>I'm glad you are here!&nbsp; Have a good one!</p><p>V.T.</p>