low temp t-stat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast

Reaction score
hey all... so ive been going rounds on the internet about low temp thermostats. i hear they are good for your engine, bad for gas mileage, and was even told they are useless on a fuel - injected engine, due to the fact that if your engine doesnt reach normal operating temp (approx 190) your computer will keep the fuel injectors open causing your engine to run really rich. i had someone else tell me that if you get a low temp t-stat, you have to change the engine temp sensor... any thoughts and/or opinions would be welcome. im a you-tube certified fix anything guy, but i always defer to experience, lol...

there are NO "benefits" to a low temp T-stat. it is a misguided redneck attempt to "fix" an over heating problem. if you have problems with over heating, fix it right.

as stated with the computerized cars, a lower temp can cause all sorts of problems.

but even with precomputer cars lower temps just reduces efficiency and can cause more sludge and deposits both in the oil and the intake/combustion chambers/valves/exhaust

if you have a computer controlled engine keep the original temp thermostat. the days of playing with different parts is over. in fact if you have to change it for what ever reason get an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) thermostat. lately I have a lot of problems with aftermarket thermostats. highdesertranger

If the engine doesn't reach the design temperature it can cause several problems. The engine computer will run the fuel injection rich for one thing. In addition to wasting gas in will shorten the life of your catalytic converter. If it's too rich you run the risk of excess fuel washing the oil from the cylinder walls. Another problem would be not getting the oil hot enough to burn off any water that's there. There's more.
Seems like a solution in search of a problem ;)

gsfish said:
Why do you want to change to a lower temperature thermostat? What kind of vehicle and engine?

Guy
its a '94 ford e350 with a 5.8 v-8  nothing wrong, doesnt overheat, and i have no cat to worry about thanks to some random jerk who cut it out... :dodgy:

AnFear said:
If the engine doesn't reach the design temperature it can cause several problems. The engine computer will run the fuel injection rich for one thing. In addition to wasting gas in will shorten the life of your catalytic converter. If it's too rich you run the risk of excess fuel washing the oil from the cylinder walls. Another problem would be not getting the oil hot enough to burn off any water that's there. There's more.
Seems like a solution in search of a problem ;)
love the sig AnFear...  "The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise."
- Front of Jim Larkins statue in Dublin

Add a electric pusher fan you can switch on and a 4 or 5 core radiator if you are worried about heat. Replace the old thermostat with a stainless steel high flow at the same temperature.

wcurtin1962 said:
Add a electric pusher fan you can switch on and a 4 or 5 core radiator if you are worried about heat. Replace the old thermostat with a stainless steel high flow at the same temperature.
thanks buddy. :idea:  im going to look into a high flow stainless t-stat. i already planned on an elecric fan...  :)