Loud Music at the RTR - split from Summer RTR 2017

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another report live from the RTR.

With Diane and I doing the buttons, I get to meet a whole lot of the people here in attendance. It's really interesting to me, in that the vast majority, I'd say well over 80% have never been here to the forums. They came because of YouTube videos. We would ask for their forum handle and be met with a 'you've got two heads' look.... :D :D

It has introduced a whole new demographic to the RTR....a lot of younger people and a whole lot more couples in larger rigs than last year and with the younger people comes a whole new energy.

While the energy is wonderful and the thought that more of the younger generations are steering away from 'the American dream' of 2.4 kids, white picket fence, mortgage for 30 years and 2 car payments is exciting, it has brought with it some problems.

Younger means different and louder music. Fortunately for me, I seem to be parked where there is no offensive music to be heard.

I'm not sure what the solution is. The whole point of the RTR is to teach and help people learn how to live this lifestyle, that's why there are 2 seminars a day. To not have the RTR would leave out the whole demographic of those who don't YouTube (haha, that would include me btw). I suspect we'd not be reaching those who need the help the most.

AltTransBikes said:
But the idea of joining up with some merry band of soul buddies among a bunch of strangers found on the internet is magical thinking at best, incredibly naive at worse, and all the while one just might be missing a chance of real community living next door right where you are.

I would put more stock in this message if you weren't typing it to like-minded folk... on the internet.  :p

And I would say the "real" community living next door is on the internet, too.  Sometimes we meet in the ether, sometimes in person.   People have been hearing about better things and traveling to see them a long, long time.

Put as much or little stock in it as you wish, it's of little consequence to me. You're accorded to own your own opinion as am I, nor will it abbreviate mine.

gcal said:
All of the pompous whining I have seen here about Evil Society imposing their Evil Rules on Noble Free Spirits --- and now the Noble Free Spirits yelling for rules! 

I'm not calling for rules, but I don't think the two ideas are incompatible.  

One can criticize the Evil Rules of a greater society and enact a smaller or more appropriate set in one's own intentional sub-society.  Consider monks who rejected the world then enacted strict rules for their order.  I don't consider their actions pompous or whining.  Somewhere in there I see a distinction between groups one voluntarily joins and groups one is born or forced into.

I am the friendly local market anarchist but I do respect the rules of communities I join.  If the rules are egregious I do not join.  :)  Perhaps the most elegant solution is to invite only folks who would behave without rules.     There's the rub, right?

Rather than a small group policing everyone according to the rules we should all be policing each other as a group and holding each other accountable for our actions. It works in bootcamp!

Well if people just aren't being considerate and ruining it for everyone else someone needs to mention it to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with inconsiderate people is that most of the time, just talking to them makes all the difference.

I am thinking of a story a guy who went to the same HS as I did in Ann Arbor, told about how Mr Rogers helped him resolve a conflict with this neighbor. Mr Roger's advice? Get to know the people with whom you have a conflict because getting to know people changes how you feel about the annoying behavior. i.e. people are more willing to turn down the music if they know the person it is bothering *and* people are less likely to get annoyed about music if they know the person who is playing it. Sometimes changing your POV makes a big difference. Mr Rogers was a very wise man.

Anywhoo, the story is public so I don't mind sharing it. It is the second story on this episode of This American Life, "Mr Rothbart's Neighborhood"

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/184/transcript

Some feel that their freedom allows them to take any action regardless of how it impacts others.
If this were true, the person being impacted could exercise their same brand of freedom to deal with it.

I haven't seen anybody calling for new rules. We have just been discussing the problem.
The only real solution is to exercise one's freedom to leave. In a house, if you invite someone to stay a short while, It takes an eviction notice and court order to get them to leave if they don't want to leave. You created the problem by inviting them. On public land you have no right to ask someone to leave. You can request that they be courteous to others, but if they tell you to pound salt up your butt, you have no legal authority to do anything about it.

There is a price to pay for profiting from Youtube videos. If Bob is successful in convincing the masses to join the lifestyle, this same type of people will be everywhere you go. You invite the good, the bad come along.

DannyB1954 said:
There is a price to pay for profiting from Youtube videos. If Bob is successful in convincing the masses to join the lifestyle, this same type of people will be everywhere you go. You invite the good, the bad come along.

Succinct.

I've not been to an RTR and was hoping for next winter. But I'm like Bob: I'm an introvert and I get easily overwhelmed with a lot of people. I generally like people but I can only take so much. The seminars would interest me and having some quiet talks with like-minded people. But it sounds to me that it has become a gathering of folks looking to party. Even though there have been protestations that it wasn't a drunken brawl, it still sounds like more craziness than I would want.

DannyB1954 said:
Some feel that their freedom allows them to take any action regardless of how it impacts others.
If this were true, the person being impacted could exercise their same brand of freedom to deal with it.

I haven't seen anybody calling for new rules. We have just been discussing the problem.
The only real solution is to exercise one's freedom to leave. In a house, if you invite someone to stay a short while, It takes an eviction notice and court order to get them to leave if they don't want to leave. You created the problem by inviting them. On public land you have no right to ask someone to leave. You can request that they be courteous to others, but if they tell you to pound salt up your butt, you have no legal authority to do anything about it.  

Would it not be a possibility to get the park ranger (or whatever he is called, the guy who issues the permits) to come out and talk to all of the people about being good neighbors?  I don't know if he can do anything, but with a permit there must be some kind of regulations to go along with that permit.  Just a  suggestion as I know most of the folks there wouldn't want Bob to leave, or anyone else to leave either.  Some people think it is OK to be rude and crude, and don't understand why anyone would want it any different than it is right now.  JMHO
Sharon

The permits are really only a way for the BLM to keep track of the numbers of people and amount of usage for future funding. Other than state and federal laws there aren't any specific rules unless it actual campgrounds.

mothercoder said:
I've not been to an RTR and was hoping for next winter.  But I'm like Bob:  I'm an introvert and I get easily overwhelmed with a lot of people.  I generally like people but I can only take so much.  The seminars would interest me and having some quiet talks with like-minded people.  But it sounds to me that it has become a gathering of folks looking to party.  Even though there have been protestations that it wasn't a drunken brawl, it still sounds like more craziness than I would want.

Also never been to an RTR and originally thought the idea of attending one would be great; ... as I watched some of Bob's videos (and/or someone else's --- I subscribe to a LOT of rv youtubers) and saw/heard how many people had attended previous ones I knew I would never intentionally plan (but might attend if in the area when one was about to happen and I was fairly sure of being able to isolate myself for large periods of time) to go to one as I have a VERY low threshold for noise/clamor/people near me.  

I am just hoping some/all of the seminars are/were recorded with enough clarity to be posted online; ... and possibly meet Bob through synchronicity on the road as I do admire him.

There are other bloggers and vloggers that have promoted even marketed the RTR for their own followers. Wont name names but definately shirt-tail riders trying to profit on Bob's vision. ?

There are other bloggers and vloggers that have promoted even marketed the RTR for their own followers. Wont name names but definately shirt-tail riders trying to profit on Bob's vision.

In addition to many others that just mentioned they would be attending because it was just part of their trip/daily life (e.g. not promoting, just stating that's where they were headed)

I must be missing something. I don't understand why have YouTube channels and post a bunch if you don't want people around or recognizing you? Why not just turn off the comments if you feel you must post your life for all to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk