RTR thoughts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks to me, that it has taken on a life of it s own, Praise Bob, all you have to do is lock in the dates every year and it will happen without anyone doing a thing. Say the third week of January every year, like Mecca they will come. Bob could set up a booth at the big tent or set up his own tent like the preacher does, preach the holy vandle, sell books, t-shirts, stickers, hold seminars every day of the week, sell recordings of all the seminars from the past, raise money to fuel up vandwellers with empty tanks and no means of filling them. Hallelujia

why all the hate? do some of you just feel the need to hate.

I was at Scaddan Wash for a week during the RTR, as were many RTR veterans. I did not witness any of this hate, talking smack, mocking, or any other negatives towards Bob or the RTR. you think maybe everyone shut up when I was around, I doubt it. I talked with others that were there with me and they didn't hear it or see it either.

if anyone has links to videos to the contrary please post them.

here is an idea if you were not there keep your mouth shut.

highdesertranger

maki2 said:
The main point of the RTR. It is not all about socializing which in the situation you are describing for a concept is all that could possibly happen.

The educational aspects of the presentations of how it is possible to live the nomadic life and do so affordably is the primary focus. Those can not possibly happen without organizing a specific time and place to meet.

I disagree completely.  Even Bob has compared the RTR to the rendezvous of the old mountain men who gathered once a year for social reasons and secondarily for trading.

Anyone needing info on van life can get all they need on YouTube and not just from Bob but from many other excellent sources.   RTR live education is not needed at all.

On the other hand socializing is not possible on YouTube.  In the absence of the old style RTR other events have stepped up to take its place like the Par T R, Hobotech Camp, and Skoolie Palooza, which had the feel of the old RTR.

In my opinion the RTR is dead.

Cammalu said:
I camped right with them and slept like a baby [emoji16]

Does sleeping like a baby mean waking up every 2 hours crying?  ;)

The partr has really toned down the loudness, they moved their camp deep into scaddon so as to not annoy anyone. Even on their loudest night, I could barely hear a whisper at our camp closer to mitchel mine road. The Partr is nor a raging party most of the time; it is just a nice social gathering and meeting place (which is what the rtr had been) Anyways, hope to see you all on the road!

My response to this thread was deleted under political rationalizations.

I’ve been a contributing member to this community for three years. There must be some form of moral hazard associated with those who make mistakes intentionally so they can respond with deluded rationalizations of righteous narcissism.

You may well think the out of control ‘Partiers’ are out to get you, but you are just doing all the damage yourselves.

God speed.

https://vanlivingforum.com/member.php?action=profile&uid=13995

Hi all,
   Since everyone has been completely hush on this subject, does anyone have any insight on gatherings this January 2021? Ideas welcome.
1) Maybe everyone camp La Posa South?
2) Dispersed camping at Scaddon Wash?
3) Declared camps of 50 or less in a certain geographic area ( 2020 was like this, several smaller camps at scaddon)
4) HOWA purchasing land?

I'm personally all for #3, it worked well last year and if enough mini camps it will be awesome, 2020 was fun it had the feel of 6 years back RTR; it was just hard to get the word out (basically need Bob on YouTube to do this but it might be called an organized event then)without making it an official gathering.

I really enjoy the RTR social aspect, and hope to somehow make it happen again in the future. I like Scaddon Wash as I am good with the BLM rules. The last 2 camping RTRS (2019,2018) started to have too many rules and signs for my liking signs! 

Unknown where the PARTR will be this year, if it happens at all, but they have it figured out and it is toned down, deep in scaddon wash where they don't annoy anyone, but still walking distance from other camps.

Lets have a good positive conversation on how we can have nomad gatherings again.

the word is unofficial but judging by the conversation it doesn't look good for a 2021 RTR. but yeah an unofficial meet up at Scaddan wash sounds good if circumstances work out. highdesertranger

As far as I know we will be back in La Posa South. I love having the security of being able to leave for the day or even a few days because we have a group of campers and know that my stuff is safe to leave. Nobody is too close and if we get a good group that can adhere to following mask wearing and sanitizing when away from camp we should be ok.

Cammalu said:
As far as I know we will be back in La Posa South. I  love having the security of being able to leave for the day or even a few days because we have a group of campers and know that my stuff is safe to leave. Nobody is too close and if we get  a good group that can adhere to following mask wearing and sanitizing when away from camp we should be ok.
We used a lot of hand sanitizer at RTR last year, and I think that helped us. I don't think people were aware of any disease risk at the time, but with people from all over I was a little cautious to maintain good hand hygiene and not touch stuff at the gathering. Around the campfire we were closer than 6 feet and often more than 10 people. I only saw a few people posting on this forum that they were recovering from covid 19, not sure if they were at RTR or not. 

The big question is if gatherings are permitted in Arizona at that time. I am sure there were hundreds of people at the RTR teaching event at the fairgrounds. The parking lots were packed. 
~crofter

The little bit of research I’ve done on transmission suggests being outside is much safer. I live in an indoor mask community and am getting used to wearing one.

That said, a bit of a breather from the drama would be positive.

Scaddan wash will continue, it has a life of its own. As I recall the group size limit is 75. The informal communications between those groups could be improved, but that organic foundation is solid.

It would be nice if our government would compile some rules on how we are to deal with controlling the virus biased on science and medical experts recommendations rather than leaving it up to the general public to fend for themselves and try to guess what will control it to where we can safely deal with our daily lives. BLM is just as confused as we are about what we should and shouldn’t do and is just going with the flow as there hasn’t been enough testing to make good policy. Politics has turned this virus into a real killer and even more so as we try to open without strict guidelines. If we continue to stress our hospitals and staff many more will get sick and die that has been proven.

The good thing about the RTR was that it took place "before" there was much penetration of the virus into the US. RTR ended on Jan 27, and Wuhan had just shutdown on Jan 23. Feb was the bad month in the US for virus spread without people being generally informed, and by March 1st it was already too late to stop it. By March 13th when the "big" announcement finally came, it was out of control ... as is obvious now. But still, the vast majority of americans were (and are) oblivious. It just doesn't seem to register.

In regards the CDC knowing what they're doing, their announcements have been one after another of bad advice. For about 2 1/2 months, I felt like Fauci was a complete idiot, but he finally started saying something routinely sensible in the past couple of weeks.

We are human and not infallible. I wish there was a crystal ball to see into the future. 20/20 hindsight is great.

B and C said:
I wish there was a crystal ball to see into the future.
And just when was it you were born yesterday? (lol).

It took my mom 36 hours of labor to get me here, I guess I really didn’t want to come! Needless to say I’m an only child which is unheard in our families.

Did she have a crystal ball to say how hard yer life would be?