Lost & Found

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
A post in another thread and that I found a nice pair of wire cutters while walking the dog yesterday got me to thinking.......what are some of the things you've lost and found while out on the road?

My best ever find was a one oz kruggerrand on the subway.  

My other recent notable finds (in the last few years) are the wire cutters and small swiss army knife.

My house is on a main road and just like high tide stuff washes up all the time.  Mostly trash (like a small shopping bag a week worth)  but also about a half a dozen bungee cords, a brand new plastic funnel a few days ago,  a small cooler, 5 gallon bucket, few hubcaps, a floor mat, and an Eastwing Hammer with some road rash on the rubber handle.    (This is all since September when I moved here)

I've lost a few Leathermans in my lifetime.  Know where I lost em both too, but couldn't find either one to save my life.  And the one that hurt the most, my great grandfather's wedding ring.  I knew it was in my Dad's desk drawer, but when we were cleaning out the house we forgot all about it and the desk went in the dumpster.  Worse, we even looked thru the drawers first, but it was under a wooden divider/insert tray.  

Who else has lost or found something interesting?

Attachments

• 20170501_224952.jpg
    20170501_224952.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
I could fill pages with things I found, after all I look for thing mostly gold but I look for everything. my best finds have come off of any road. like the arrowhead I found laying on top off the ground while hiking cross country. or the very old mason jar with a glass lid that was half filled with water that I found off of any modern trail. of course there are many nuggets I have found. just remember you will never find if you don't look. highdesertranger

$50.00 at a water  station in Yuma two years ago. one of the best watches I ever owned at ft Campbell ky years ago.

gsfish said:
I did find a $20 in the street a few months back.
Guy

I forgot about the $20 I found.  My dog gets super excited once he knows we are going somewhere and won't go to bathroom to save his life,  heading back to Mass about five min after we started driving he started doing his I have to piss wine.  Reluctantly pulled over at a gas station let him out and as he was about to pee on a pile of leaves I saw it and grabbed it before he rained on it.  So, he redeemed himself on that ride, the others not so much.  

I have since figured out a work around to him not going before a car ride.  I let him hop in the truck, start it, shut it off, open his door and he runs out and goes to bathroom.  Then I can start my trip.

Well, last Sat. I lost my iPhone in the University parking lot, after a baby shower for my niece.
The best thing is I did find it, as soon as I noticed it was not in my pocket, I drove back, Thank God I hadn't left the parking area.
I actually found it! YIPPEEEEE. I would really hate to buy a new phone, as I only buy those kinds of things, when I need it, but, I also would really hate to tell Hubby I lost it. He gets onto me about being more aware about what is happening, so this would just give him an excuse to give me the lesson, just one more time. LOL

I one time had a coat that I thought I had some singles in the pocket, but couldn't find it, I looked and looked, no money, the following winter, while wearing it, and being very, very broke, I found it in the bottom of the coat, near the hem. How it got there I have no idea, but finding it was a great thing, as I was really broke, and thought I needed a pack of Cigs.

Sharon

Found a watch underwater in the ADKs. That was about 17 years ago, though.

Several years ago I was visiting my dad in CA. We always go to the coast when I visit. He has a favorite beach where there's good rocks. I had to pee before we left and coming out of the bathroom i found $35 folded up in the icicle plants. We had a nice lunch with the find.

A few years ago my bride and i were drivng home from grocery shopping and found a brand spankin new werner 16' aluminum ladder laying on the median shoulder. The exits are spread out quite a bit and we drove down to our exit then back north past the find then south again to pick it up. When i saw it still had the cardboard on it from the store the extra miles were worth it. I felt bad for the person that hadn't secured it well...bet they were pissed!

This last winter just west of the rtr site we were walking with the dogs and found a sweet waterproof bike pannier that had a nalgene bottle and some tools in it. The bungy had broken and it probably bounced off long before it was noticed missing. Judging by the moldy beverage in the nalgene it had been there for a bit but it washed.
If it's a vandweller give me a holler and we can work out a return :)

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Always finding things here at the campground. Into Lost and Found they go but if not claimed within two weeks its finders keepers. Numerous flashlights, pocket knives, a camera, couple of hammocks, camp chairs, you name it. The New York City folks have no place to store things so often leave tents and canopys. The rental rvs are the best though. We're the last stop before flying home for many of the foreign visitors so they leave everything they can't fit in their suitcase. One couple bought bicycles for their month long tour of the US and gave them to us. Usually it's nice linens, cooking gear, food and liquor.
I've left my purse in a shopping cart a few times but it was waiting in the store when I came back with everything inside. Guess I'm lucky.

decodancer said:
 The New York City folks have no place to store things so often leave tents and canopys.  

I have an Aunt & Uncle who do this.  They go camping once or twice a year and buy all new stuff for the trip then ask someone in the campground if they want the stuff and of course people scoop it right up.  

They then repeat it at Christmas time.....buy a tree, buy the lights and ornaments.  After Christmas they drag it to the curb with a free sign and away it goes.

Various pocketknives, money, a new furkid (several times) and once, back int the woods, a pretty good reproduction of a Gladius (Roman shortsword) someone had handmade
I bet that item's owner kicked theirself good and hard

I was driving to the nearby grocery store the other day and saw a huge curb pile with a free sign on it. Golf clubs would you believe? A full set of women's left handed clubs in a leather bag. Did I mention that I'm left handed and enjoy playing golf? There was also a stand mixer which I grabbed for a friend, she was thrilled.

I'm amazed that some of the things I've lost have come back to me. Once I left my wallet on a gas pump because I got distracted by a phone call while filling up. Went to Napa next door right after and before I left Napa I got a call from a guy that found it - I could see him talking on the phone from where I stood. When i was young I lost my wallet while riding an ATV in the desert. A few weeks later I received it back in the mail. I've only been married once, going on 31 years now, but I'm on my third wedding ring. I put them in my watch pocket while working and I also used to stick the carabiner from my key ring in there. It tends to flip the ring out un noticed when I grab my keys. One ring was found and returned several times, once in the snow. I quit putting my keys there after loosing a couple nice gold rings - hey, maybe HDR found them. But now I just have a cheap $18 ring off Amazon so I'll probably never lose it.

gsfish said:
Not me but a good friend, again in NYC. His sister had given him her well used car and somewhere along the line it had been stolen. Fast forward about six months and my friend is crossing a busy intersection and sees his car stopped for the light. He yelled "That's my car" and the driver casually got out and blended into the pedestrian traffic. The light had changed by then and cars were honking so my bewildered friend got in and drove home. HA!

Guy

Reminds me of a story my dad told me.  His motorcycle was stolen in 1978, driving my Mom to the hospital while she was in labor with me two years later he saw it parked in a driveway, said some mods he did made it unmistakable.  He started pulling over and my mom screamed at him to keep going so he called the police and went back after dropping my Mom off and it was gone!  Never to be seen again.  

He said he thinks the guy that stole it saw him pulling over in a rage pointing at it so he had time to get outta there. So yeap, I cost my Dad his bike!

$6,000 in cash sealed in a deposit bag sitting in the middle of the road.

Turned out to be the entrance fees for a local Boys and Girls club flag football tourney. I gave it back. They gave me $100 reward and my boss then also knew that I was honest to a fault even when no one else would know it.

Ah the one thing I've lost that still haunts me is a watercolor of a barn. My grandmother took a painting class in her retirement and painted a picture of a barn near her house which I got when she died. I moved out of an apartment and left it hanging on the wall. It was a couple of days before I noticed it was missing but it was too late. The old apartment had already been cleaned. It wasn't valuable or anything, just sentimental value.

Had something similar happen to me. Ten years ago I moved out of an apartment because of a nasty argument with my roommate. She actually threw an iron at me after a few glasses of wine. Came back to get my stuff and it was all out on the curb. Minus a stained glass piece my Mother had made and numerous other items. Mosh things were replaceable but Mom can't do stained glass any longer because of arthritis and this was her favorite piece. Have lived alone ever since.

Two years after I quit smoking, I found an unopened pack of cigarettes in the pocket of a coat in my closet. Still have it 4 years later. Anybody want a stale cigarette?

Lost a wedding ring in a creek in Cheyenne Canyon outside Colorado Springs. That cold water sure makes your fingers shrink. HDR, if you see this, thar's gold in them thar hills!

Found a kids bicycle laying in the middle of a highway near Frisco, Texas one night, and the bungee that I guess was supposed to be holding it on. I went back the next day and posted a "Found your bike" sign with my phone number at the spot where I found it, nobody ever called. I eventually gave it to a neighborhood kid.

I worked 3rd shift at a 7-11 for a while when I was young. There was a mean, cranky old drunk that would come in every night to buy cigarettes. One night he came in just as mean, cranky, and drunk as usual, as he was pulling the money out of his pocket to pay for his cigarettes I noticed a $20 bill fall out. My first instinct was to tell him he dropped it, and had it been anybody else I would have, but I decided he owed me and karma for all the verbal abuse I had to put up with from him night after night. There were 4 customers in line behind him when he dropped it. They all took their turn and left with none of them seeing the $20 on the floor, after they were all gone I walked around the counter and there it was right where he dropped it. Being a lot older and a little wiser now, I wish I would have told him. I don't remember what I spent the $20 on but I remember I don't have claim to taking the high road.

On our motorcycles on a highway near Springerville, AZ, came across another biker doing about 20 mph on the shoulder. Pulled over to ask him if he needed help, he said he was looking for his leather jacket with his wallet in the pocket that had fallen off. What a bummer... Another loose bungee victim...

Latest posts