Is it bad luck or a curse

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you are bouncing back. Don't take it personally....all of us have to find solutions for one problem or another at different times. It's great to be able to post a problem in this forum and have several solutions offered quickly.

I know what it’s like to feel overwhelmed and have multiple things going on at once.  And this is separate from that but I also know what it’s like when your home is infested.
To the latter, I moved my entire life across the country to Utah for a year, for schooling, while living in the mountains. My landlord had very nice pictures but the camera hid the stains by the many skiers who used the condo. It was furnished, including the bed and there was mouse poop everywhere.  Paint was pealing off walls.  Bathroom was disgusting.  This I discovered after a three day drive, the last of which was tiring, through the middle of nowhere. The place was an old, very lived in s$&@-hole.
The experience I can share for both of the above is that sometimes I have to establish a “homebase” of comfort.  Whether that’s sleeping in your truck like you said, or whatever.  It helps detach from the problem when you can’t snap a mental or emotional finger.  Then you nip away at the problem, one step at a time. I promise even the little successes relieve stress.  Have a date night at the laundry mat in between.  
Unfortunately I had to do some cleaning the day I arrived.  My upstairs neighbor wanted to open my door to paint it(a favor to my land lord).  I told him to beat it, and then proceeded to make sure I had a bed and someplace to sit for leisure time. By the time the apartment was completely clean I was beat and poisoned myself with Decon an Fabuloso.  However, I never had a mouse problem or a bug problem again.  And the place actually became a cozy little cottage.  I was able to get some good writing down and did a cool photo shoot for school, essentially cementing myself as an artist.  It had a fancy water heater that never ran out of hot water.  Many Saturdays were spent soaking with a glass of whiskey, and relaxing music.  I had a laser physicist from the mysterious Hughes Aerospace living next door that would talk with me.  Interesting fella’.  I had a ski resort across the way and could walk the high country if I wanted.
It’s not okay not to solve problems, but it is completely okay to take a break when they’re ganging up on you.  They help you not give up on something that later could be worth the work you put into them.
I know in your case you really want your new chapter to work out, as will I when I’m  finally on the road.  Taking a break does not mean you’re giving up on it. My two cents. Thanks for sharing.