Looking for place to build out my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeVan

Reaction score
Hi All, 
I'm upgrading from my old 2007 Ford Econoline cargo van to a Ford Transit mid roof.  I'm looking for a place work on it to convert into a camper.  A small home with a garage and driveway would be ideal to rent out for around 4 to 6 months.  Another possibility renting a small shop or open yard space with storage for tools and building supplies. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

it is a big country and currently there are quite a few states in the USA who have 14 day quarantine rules invoked on anyone who travels into the state. Therefor it would be best to look locally in the state you are currently in or in any adjacent or close by states that are not invoking a 14 day quarantine on new arrivals into the state.

A good place to start looking is on craigslist in the sections for housing marked for parking/storage, or the section office/commercial and sublets/temporary. Any one of those sections could have exactly what you need. Sometimes people have a house and are renting out a MIL unit in it or a room with its own outside entrance so do also take a look at shared housing and apartments. Just be sure for things such as renting a garage or storage space they don't say "no working" and "no living" in the ad before you inquire since you will be both living and working on site.

You might also want to place an ad locally as there will be people who need the extra income it would bring to rent to space to you.

A lot of vandwellers just do their work out in the desert somewhere. You would be amazed at how well everyone just leaves your shit alone. Sure, I would bring in any expensive power tools if you go into town for the day. But you can literally leave gold bars just sitting on the ground overnight because absolutely no one will be wandering around out there to see them.

"But you can literally leave gold bars just sitting on the ground overnight because absolutely no one will be wandering around out there to see them."

hahahaha wanna bet

highdesertranger

I have fallen short of the 10 commandments many times although I try to keep them. But if anyone is leaving gold bars lying in the desert tell me where. I might "fall" again.

The thing about leaving tools out instead of putting them away is that they will grow legs and hop off.

I live full time in my Econoline.  I'm from California, but I'm open to any suggestions in the western states.

maki2 said:
it is a big country and currently there are quite a few states in the USA who have 14 day quarantine rules invoked on anyone who travels into the state. Therefor it would be best to look locally in the state you are currently in or in any adjacent or close by states that are not invoking a 14 day quarantine on new arrivals into the state.

A good place to start looking is on craigslist in the sections for housing marked for parking/storage, or the section office/commercial and sublets/temporary.  Any one of those sections could have exactly what you need. Sometimes people have a house and are renting out a MIL unit in it or a room with its own outside entrance so do also take a look at shared housing and apartments. Just be sure for things such as renting a garage or storage space they don't say "no working" and "no living" in the ad before you inquire since you will be both living and working on site.

You might also want to place an ad locally as there will be people who need the extra income it would bring to rent to space to you.
Yes, I've checked all the craigslist sections you've suggested with the acception of shared housing.  I'll see what I can find there.  Thanks for the heads up about the states with 14 day quarantine rules. I'm looking for western states and will check before I consider going. Maybe I should stay in California.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
A lot of vandwellers just do their work out in the desert somewhere. You would be amazed at how well everyone just leaves your shit alone. Sure, I would bring in any expensive power tools if you go into town for the day. But you can literally leave gold bars just sitting on the ground overnight because absolutely no one will be wandering around out there to see them.
I thought about that, but starting to get hot on the desert now.

It is a tough time to be trying to make a move. People have to be insular and not meet up with strangers right now. That makes it super tough to go "house" hunting for new place to live/work.

KeVan said:
Yes, I've checked all the craigslist sections you've suggested with the acception of shared housing.  I'll see what I can find there.  Thanks for the heads up about the states with 14 day quarantine rules. I'm looking for western states and will check before I consider going. Maybe I should stay in California.

That might be easier, assuming you have CA plates. Some states and localities seem to very paranoid about "furriners".

Welcome!

You can buy a 2000 watt generator for running your tools and boondock instead of paying rent. (What I did). A cheap tent is a good investment to keep yout stuff out of view, and tsa locks on the flap help discourage trespassers. My tent never blows away because I keep canned goods and water in there. You will want a camp cart for wood and water, also stays in the tent.

If you are moving out of a full house or apt, you may want to use a storage for a year while you say goodbye to all your stuff and do your build. It is rare but some storages have electricity. It is even more rare to find a storage with electricity and a high RV garage door. It is very very rare to find a storage with showers and bathrooms, but they exist. I think storage is a racket, but I did use it during transition away from having stuff.

I have always wanted to rent a full shop, but my build was completed 100% outside. I did have access to a garage once, but the van did not fit in it. Yes I even worked in rain, freezing weather and blazing sun. 

-crofter

KeVan said:
I thought about that, but starting to get hot on the desert now.
Higher elevation is cooler. Your boondocking / build spot will need to be located depending on the season. In a month many areas will be opening after the snow melts so that is your spot to build, within range of Home Depot.  -crofter

Getting two vehicles to the new location may be challenging if you go far.
Here in Pahrump Nv. there is a Home Depot and a couple of miles up the same road is BLM land.
I found many advantages to becoming a Nevada Resident instead of a California one. You could do that as well while you are here.
If you pitch a tent, I would recommend a Tee Pee style as it gets plenty windy here.
4 months is a log time for someone to commit to hosting you. it would put you well into the summer anywhere here in the South West.

Yes, 2 vehicles would be a challenge.  My only solution is to store my old van here in California and pack a tent in the new van.
I haven't been to Pahrump NV yet. I would think it will be too hot there by next month. I could possibly continue to move to higher elevations as the months get hotter.
I've heard there are advantages to becoming a Nevada resident, however I'm tied to California because of access to medicaid.

Just do a "no build" setup and get on with your life.

Go watch some of the cheaprvliving videos showing people who start out that way and then when the time, place and funds come along make their rig more comfortable.

You might check RV storage places also. I have a parking spot rented for my RV, and they allow working on rigs, but they are closed from 12 pm to 5 am, so you couldn't live there. The gates are locked and security turned on from 12 to 5, and anybody caught on premises during that time is subject to eviction. But other than that, I can use my rig in the daytime and do work on it.

So anyhow, maybe you can find an RV storage lot that has similar rules. You'd have to leave at night to sleep, but it might be a lot cheaper than an RV park or a house.

highdesertranger said:
"But you can literally leave gold bars just sitting on the ground overnight because absolutely no one will be wandering around out there to see them."

hahahaha  wanna bet

highdesertranger

Not everyone can smell gold a mile away, like you can. Where I'm camped, there only people I see are ATVers going by on a dirt road. We wave at each other as they pass but they never come near me. There is absolutely never anyone around at night.