Looking for input on the Prepping mindset

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been through so many earthquakes I don't really notice them anymore unless they are 5 or stronger.

The Cumbra Vieja volcano on the Canary Island La Palma could have its West side slide into the Atlantic.  That would bring a tsunami to the East coast of Florida with only a few hours of warning.  The Pacific has a substantial tsunami warning system in place and a history that makes people take it seriously.  The Atlantic side, not so much.
How do you prep for a wall of water that scrapes everything off the land?  Miami and Ft Pierce have nuclear power plants like Fukushima.  For this combination the only thing I know to do is to leave early.

I remember first seeing the shows that purported that a flank collapse of the Cumbra Vieja volcano will cause a mega-tsunami that will wipe out the east coast. As a Florida coast resident, I was curious.

Turns out that story is basically total BS, despite making great headlines and exciting CGI graphics. There's lots of stuff out there that explains and debunks the myth if interested...

I don't see how anyone living in a van can prepare if they are not already in an acceptable place. How far is a tank of gas going to get you, (that is if you were not on a 1/4 tank when it happened). The rush on gas would make it unavailable. Will you even be able to drive on the roads if everybody is on them? What do you do if you get stuck in a traffic jam and nobody is going anywhere?

I remember growing up in the 1960's. At school we would practice diving under our desks in the event of a nuclear explosion. Ever since time began there has been a threat of one kind or another, (maybe a neighboring tribe wanted what you had). I guess I am a type of prepper in that if something that lasts a long time goes on sale I try to buy as much as my budget can afford. I live in a house now, so storage is easy. In my van, I don't see how.

The people who make a profit on selling gold want to scare you into buying it. Who really needs gold in an emergency? It will only buy what someone is willing to give in return. Maybe a pound of gold for a can of beans. Gold only has value because people think it has. They can change their minds when hungry.

DannyB1954 said:
I remember growing up in the 1960's. At school we would practice diving under our desks

I lived in Cuba until December 1959.  I also remember 1960s in Miami.  I couldn't understand how people could fear Cuba after the Russians pulled out the missiles.  Cuba had great poverty and the population had been disarmed.  The fear continued.  The news media have very limited stock in trade.  They can sell fear.  I don't think they have much truth left in their inventory.

Unless it's water or lava or a Katrina level hurricane coming at you and forcing a move, it's better to hunker down.  Keep a couple weeks of food and fuel on hand, have a gas or kero stove, candles, lamps and you'd be fine.  Good to have a chainsaw too, to cut your way out of fallen trees.
One thing I learned while living in the islands, was that it simply does not make a whole lot of sense to buy up tons of supplies ahead of time, because if your home is destroyed, so is all that prepper stuff you bought.  Better to have cash on hand to buy what's actually needed after the event. Helluva lot easier to carry too.
In case of a really major event like nuclear, etc with a "The Road" sort of result, I'll just get out my lawn chair, have a beer and toast to mankind's stupidity. I have zero desire to try and "survive" that kind of world.

A tight-knit, supportive group of folks: family, neighbors, community, similar standards and values is the best hedge on prepping. Hard to realize before perhaps but when/if serious events take place, the luxury of rugged individualism dissipates.

For a lot of watery disasters, the easiest solution is to leave. For most of them, there is a warning period. Fire, too. Some people can't - or think they can't. Some people won't - and that includes a lot of people who think they can't. But for fulltime van and rv dwellers, you just turn the key and get out at the first word of trouble, while others are still packing to go or just thinking about it, before the roads get bad. You can always come back if the worst does not happen.

I think it always pays to be prepared with the basics for all of life's potential emergencies. Money in the bank for times of unemployment, first aid kit for medical emergencies, fire extinguisher to put out a small fire, extra fuses, jumper cables, air pump and a spare tire for road side emergencies, etc. A little extra food and water for shortages should be part of everyone's pantry.

I live in New England and anyone that lives here knows when the media hypes an upcoming blizzard, supermarket shelves are empty of the basics in a matter of 24 hours. Bread, Milk, Eggs and Water fly off the shelves as fast as they can stock it. So it's not hard to see that a semi serious natural disaster would wipe out the local food supply temporarily. I like to be prepared for most things I can think of and not have to rely on outside help, but it never worries or consumes me either.

However, for the most part I believe the whole prepping mindset is more of a romantic notion than anything else. A longing for the good old days when the world had less people, less government, less regulations, less complicated and you were more self reliant. I know I do.

As a lifelong Floridian, prepping is a way of life. Also, reading "Lucifer's Hammer" got me more solidly into it and provided good ideas. We always keep hurricanes and other emergency possibilities in mind. Unless a Class Five is coming right for us, bugging out is not an option. I keep enough preps stocked to get me by for a couple months, longer for food.
With Dad's passing three years ago and Mom passing this past May, Sister and I are getting their home ready to sell in awhile. They kept some fair preps. Sister and BIL have no interest so I get a good boost to my own stocks.
I follow the concept of a broad-based prepping, to handle most any conceivable realistic emergency.
I can easily see our nation, and the industrialized world, experiencing a Perfect Storm of several catastrophic events ocurring, to cause a domino effect and plunging us into a true TEOTWAWKI situation.
The Third World of course will take little notice.
Best thing is to study Third World methods, as well as how our forbears got on before industrialization. We did it before, we can do it again.

TrainChaser pretty much nailed it.

That's why my priority is to be able to hunker down and ride it out at home. Being in Phoenix, our disaster list is pretty short, with the worst one probably being power going out in the summer, but we can deal with that here better than most people, and this place better than most.

An RV in the driveway with a genny and AC for the short term, running on all the gasoline in both of our cars, and solar and fans to at least get moving air when that runs out. I could mcgyver the genny to run on all the LPG here with what is in my garage if I really had to... We could keep cool that way.

As for escape, well, edge of town in the east valley gets me on a highway AZ87 (a narrow one heading east) or AZ101 freeway which connects me either to I-10 to the south or I-17 to the north with only two traffic lights between me and said highways. Id' forget the US60 in any direction as it becomes a traffic light choked two lane parking lot after it exits town.

But as TrainChaser said, once we find out we need to bug out, it may be too late unless we are paying attention more than normal...

For those of you already living on the road, It's all about what you can carry and are willing to deal with in that respect. #10 cans of mountain house food weigh little, and if you are near clean water, then you can eat for a long time on a six can case of that stuff.

OK--so all you 'hunker down at home' types have a home in which to hunker down. Many of us van-dwellers [RV dwellers] do not. Hunkering down in a vehicle of any kind during a tornado or hurricane is just plain stupid.

It probably all evens out in the long run. If you are in a van and hear a hurricane is coming, you have time to drive to high ground. There are people who dance with tornados in vehicles, (called storm chasers). Today better weather info is available, so you have a chance to get out of the way. In a house, you get whatever comes your way.

In the near future, I will be doing both part time, (sticks and bricks and vandwelling). So I guess I will just take my chances wherever I am. I am soon to be 62, (hurray Social Security!). I have been hearing doom and gloom for about 55 of that.

you know what I just got a great deal on fresh MRE's 60 bucks a case. while I don't want to make MRE's part of my regular diet, they are good for an emergency. highdesertranger

gsfish said:
It always amazes me that when a storm is heading for my part of Florida and the 'news' people recommend that you stock up on enough food and water to last 72 hours. Who doesn't have enough food for 72 hours!! HA!!

I think most people have food, but maybe not the right food. They may have food that needs elecric appliances to prepare or store safely, but there may not be any electricity for a while. Also, I don't know many people who normally keep that much water on hand. You don't just need enough to drink. You need enough to wash yourself, to cook with if you have the ability to cook, and some to clean any dishes you use.

That's why I like having my well and not be reliant on city water.  I also have a stream that goes through my property if all else fails.

gsfish said:
If it really gets stretched out there is always the fishing gear and pellet gun.

Guy

I think this is some of the best advice.........can't think of a cheaper way to put meat on the table.

I have an RWS model 34 air rifle that is absolutely incredible.  Very good quality, made in Germany.  It can reliably shoot birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc at well over 100 feet.  Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality air rifle.  I've had mine going on 20 years, it's a spring piston powered one and so far it's still going strong.  Can't even venture to guess how many rounds have been put through it.  Well over 5000. I got it for my 15th birthday and used to shoot it for hours everyday after school.

Yes, having a sticks&bricks home makes a huge difference in how well one can prep. But pure vehicle dwellers have possibilities. Tow a small trailer, rent a small storage unit if you remain in a city area for awhile. If your vehicle isn't too tall, safety can be had in a city parking garage. Ideally above street level.
It was once suggested one could avoid a tornado by parking under a highway overpass, but a recent TV special indicated this isn't necessarily safe either.
Living where I do, I am able to safely store 70 gallons of gas. I treat it regularly, and cycle it through my vehicles as needed. This helped immensely in 2008 when a two-hurricane punch stopped all oil rigs and production in the Gulf, and all gas stations ran dry. People had a tough time getting gas for a couple weeks til production and transportation resumed. I was riding my motorcycle then, so my stored gas meant I was never hunting gas. They were trucking gas in from up north, and it barely got people by. This was just a small taste of a true SHTF situation.
Add in empty food stores to this situation, and things can go west real quick.

The answer that I would give, only my personal opinion because prepping/ survival practices have been a "hobby" of mine for 10 years and I don't claim to be an army ranger (maybe I am an army ranger who knows?), is this;  Do not try to go it alone, or with 1 other person - even your spouse.  That is a last resort.  Try to find a community of like minded people in your area so when SHTF you can have a common meeting ground and have your group (with different skills and different mental mindsets) to plan the next move and calm things down.  Also, live in a state with plenty of water and possible game to hunt.  

Peace,

Matt