1996 Ford 350 Dually vs. 1998 Ford Explorer (SUV)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solani

Reaction score
Hello out there,

This is my first post, except for my intro post on the newbie page.

I have a question or, perhaps a few...

My initial plans when I will be hitting the road was to use my 1998 Ford Explorer 4X4. It's a car I know, but still, I've never driven it longer distances and only had it for about 2 years. (I drive down from the mountain we have our house on and into town perhaps 3 times a month, which takes about 45 minutes each way, on a good day) My plan was to pull an older model pop-up tent trailer that I would use only for storing/packing my stuff, since the tent fabric is rotten. Rest of the trailer is fairly decent and light weight.

However...

I have now been given the option of getting a 1996 Ford F350 Dually crew-cab (two door) diesel, 2 wheel drive. One owner (our neighbor and friend of my husband) Long story why I'm having to hit the road, which I'm not going to get into here. If anyone is interested or wants to know, my intro thread is there for everyone to read. I'm currently up in mid BC Canada and will be heading south down to Nevada, Arizona (warmer climate).

My long term plans was to eventually be able to afford to buy a 1 ton truck and a car hauler. Been looking at a 8,5' x 16 dual axle hauler, but... prices for those types of trailers is way out of my budget here in Canada. Seen much cheaper in the US. So, what I am asking here. Is the 1996 Ford F350 Dually a good choice to pull a car hauler as mentioned above? I can still load all my belongings that I need and those I can't bring myself to part with yet in the bed of the truck until I'm able to find the trailer I want. I might also be able to find a cheap camper that could last me until I can buy the trailer I want. I don't feel that I'd have a problem sleeping on the seat behind the driver and passenger seats, even if it isn't all that wide, I can still prop ice box etc. between the seat and front making it a little wider. My dog Nova, German Shepard has no problem curling up in the front passenger seat. That's where she normally wants to be anyway...

Our neighbor that has owned this truck since it was new, is someone that is more like family than just a neighbor or friend. This truck has been his "baby" and has been taken care of and serviced regularly. (seen all the paper work) Years ago when his wife and kids were around, he'd haul their big 5th wheel with it and he claims he could barely feel that he was pulling anything behind the truck) However, it has now been sitting for about 3 years. (under cover) Needed to charge the batteries to get it to start but once it started, engine is running smoothly/steady. No rust, no dings or dents. Small crack in windshield top passenger side but, that's about it. I will be taking it/her to our mechanic to have her fully checked out before I make any final decisions, as well as check with the insurance company how much insurance would cost me, especially since both here in Canada as well as in the US, I have no prior history of insurance. Am a US citizen but lived my adult life in Sweden, hence no driving record in either country on this side of "the pond". Anyone know about if insurance is more expensive for such a heavy truck, even though it is an older vehicle? I'm a total novice when it comes to those things in both the US and here in Canada.

I just know that it is a good truck, or at least both my husband and our neighbor claims it is. I have been the care giver for our neighbor for a few years but now, he can no longer live the off-grid prepper life we do out here and has to move to town. I am cleaning his house from basement to attic. He knows the reasons why I have to leave Canada and I think as a thank you for both helping him out over the past few years as well as cleaning his house so he can sell it, for hopefully a better price. He is giving me the truck. He also knows I really love it. She is a beauty!

Anywho... I would much appreciate some input from those of you that know a lot more than I do. I know diesel is cheaper here in Canada than in the US but... If I were to be able to buy a car hauler/trailer I would still need to buy a 1 ton truck...

Sorry for the ranting, to much going on in my life right now and not going anywhere near where I'd want it to go...

Thank in advance for input, advise, thoughts both positive and negative... I need to know what I'm getting myself into when it comes to the vehicle I will be driving. Alone on the road with only my dog I am able to deal with but, I do need to know that I'm not getting in way over my head with this truck. Regardless, it doesn't matter what car/truck/van/whatever you buy/drive, they can still break down even if they just rolled off the assembly line...

OK, I'll quit now...

All the Best
//Solani

I assume you plan on registering the vehicle in the States? If so, then the truck needs to be refitted to U.S. standards. SAE gauges, etc.

Canine said:
I assume you plan on registering the vehicle in the States? If so, then the truck needs to be refitted to U.S. standards. SAE gauges, etc.

Yes, it is my intention to register the vehicle in the States. Would be the same if I'd bring my Ford Explorer to the States. In what specific context are you referring to with "refitted to U.S. standards. SAE gauges etc. SAE ie: Society of Automotive Engineers. I am aware of different regulations and laws in regards to several various parts/functions on a vehicle, exhaust, electric system, lights, breaks etc. etc. etc. which also can differ depending on the age of the vehicle. Which one are you specifically asking me about?

Also need to check on whatever taxes/fees which will incur when importing to the US from another country. Same as if I would have brought a car/truck/vehicle over here from Sweden when I came here to Canada. So yes, those are things I am aware of. I also know that it depends on which State I choose to register the truck in, if they demand an inspection of the vehicle or not.

I also need to get a US drivers license, as I'll be using either my Canadian or my International drivers license, most likely I'll use my Canadian license, since I'll be driving a Canadian registered vehicle. At least until I make up my mind which State I will make my permanent residence. Nevada and South Dakota being those that I'm currently researching. Last physical address I had in the US was in WPB Florida but moved back to Sweden after hurricane Frances and the other 2 that blew through in her footsteps a few weeks later... Interesting experience... However, I don't feel the need to experience another one and definitely not 3 in a row.
My heart goes out to those being hit right now by hurricane Florence.  :(

But, thanks for the heads up. I'll check into it and find out exactly what I would/could need to have refitted.
//Solani

Hi Solani,

Perhaps there is an auto club in the US that you could join.  It would be nice if you could be put in contact with a garage in the US, that could tell you up front what your vehicle would need, and the cost. Good Luck. :)

max+sophia said:
Hi Solani,

Perhaps there is an auto club in the US that you could join.  It would be nice if you could be put in contact with a garage in the US, that could tell you up front what your vehicle would need, and the cost. Good Luck. :)

Thank you Max+Sophia, :) 
Great idea, hadn't thought of that possibility. Will search for an auto club that can point me in the right direction. And yes, the cost will play a major part in if this is going to be doable or not. I know that diesels can be very expensive to get work done on, compared to gasoline fueled vehicles. If I find it way to expensive, compared to what I would need to have done on the Explorer, I always have the option to sell the truck up here and drive the Explorer, even if that for many reasons wouldn't be something I'd want to do but, being on a fixed income, I have to be at least somewhat realistic. ;) 
//Solani

The odometer and such need to read SAE measurements instead of metric. I believe there needs to be other changes as well. When that is done it needs to be inspected. I'm not sure how much work that is, but it is somewhat of an effort.

Solani said:
Thank you Max+Sophia, :) .... I always have the option to sell the truck up here and drive the Explorer,

Solani,  I had my heart set on a Ford Van Conversion, but the sale fell through.  So I am now concentrating on my 2005 Ford Explorer.  Check my Methuselah thread toward the end, for info on "Ruby"  and setting her up for travel.

max+sophia said:

Solani,  I had my heart set on a Ford Van Conversion, but the sale fell through.  So I am now concentrating on my 2005 Ford Explorer.  Check my Methuselah thread toward the end, for info on "Ruby"  and setting her up for travel.
Sophia,
Yeah, my Explorer was my first choice, or rather, my only choice since that is what I already had. From watching many video/YouTube conversions about living out of an Explorer, I found that it would not only be possible but also something that could be quite comfortable, especially since I was going to "cheat" and pull the gutted tent trailer behind, with my "prize belongings". In actuality, mostly crap I for some reason just can't bring myself to part with yet... It's only been a little more than 2,5 years since I had to do the same but on a MUCH larger scale, throw, keep and then go through it all several more times. Being that I had a whole house with life's memories of my kids etc. I had no idea I'd managed to collect so much STUFF... throughout the years, as I've always picked up and relocated at the drop of a hat. (before my kids got old enough that I had to realize I had to stay put for their sake...) I've always been proud that I could pack the necessities, junk the rest and be out of wherever within 24 hours. Not quite the same when you've been in a house for 17 years. Not to mention all the "stuff" the kids left behind when they moved out one after the other... *big sigh* Anyhow, I solved the problem, got rid of all of MY stuff apart from the furniture, left the kids stuff and signed over the house to them... Now, it's their problem! LOL It's also an off-grid property and so far, they seem to want to hang on to it, which I feel is a smart thing to do, not knowing what will happen further down the "road". Always good to have a safe place (whatever safe is) to bug out to if things go totally sideways. That was my intention when moving over here too, just further off-grid and I've loved every minute of it, man, property, country and all. Oh well, sh*t happens, pick up the pieces and do what you can to create your next reality.

Back to the vehicles. I would have the same issues/things to do regardless of if I were to choose the Explorer or the Truck. However... I'm now a lot closer to knowing exactly what I need to do. Called around after searching the Internet everything related to importing a vehicle to the US from Canada and found the correct phone numbers, where I could actually speak to a REAL person. Found out I can read and find out much by reading the sticker located inside the front door as well as the one under the hood. Many vehicles here in Canada are quite easy to bring over, especially if you are bringing it in with you when you are moving back to the States. I need to bring the Truck (or Explorer) to a Ford dealer, get them to check the VIN number and run it through the computer to see if there have been any recalls or other issues. If no other issues or major things ($$$) that has to be done, which most of the cars that are built in North America don't have, I'll get a certificate that says that the car/truck is in compliance with US standards. Speedometers on most cars/trucks over here, have both miles and kilometers printed on the speedometer. It's just the "counter" that counts in kilometers instead of miles. If I have to change that, from what I've understood, it's a matter of changing the wire that goes between that counter and the front wheel where it's connected to a different size/diameter, that will make it register miles instead of kilometers. Not a major cost. Everything else seem to be the same. Canada also has strict exhaust (clean air) laws, seat belts, automatic lights during daytime, that can be turned off if not allowed in the US. I'll also need to check and see if I will need a certificate from NHTSA/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, stating that based on the certificate from the Ford dealership/manufacturer I'd be able to bring my vehicle in to the States or, if I need to refit something else. So, that's what I'm doing now. Keeping a record of all the steps that need to be taken, so that when I've done all the steps, I'll write which steps need to be taken. Perhaps one of the moderators might want to put it as a pinned post, for what needs to be done when importing your vehicle, when it is a permanent move and registering it as a US vehicle.

Anywho... keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this will go without to many speed-bumps and $$$$$$ which I really don't have. Need every penny I can save up as a backup for sh*t happens situations... I'm quite prone to those...

Thanks for all you guys help and info. I'll keep you posted on how things work out. :) 
//Solani

Solani said:
Sophia, ~ <b>My 5 pound Yorkie Poo.  I'm MAX</b> :D
Yeah, my Explorer was my first choice, or rather, my only choice since that is what I already had.
Just a note... I mis-typed the model Ford I'm outfitting. It's an Escape 4x4
I'm wondering.. isn't your Explorer longer than  the Escape?  I had to shorten the cot I put in along the driver's side. I'll be posting photos on my Methuselah thread when I can manage it.

Good luck with all you have to do.

@ Max and Sophia of course... ;)

Ooops! Oh well... Hrmmm... Hello Max! :D

Yes, I do believe the Explorer is a little longer than the Escape. Not sure by how much, just know that If I remove or fold the back seat down, I can comfortably stretch out full length with a few inches extra. Now, that most likely doesn't say much but... I'm 5.2' LOL. Was considering removing the seat behind the drivers seat (the smallest one) and leaving the big one for Nova if she would have wanted to lay down in the back seat. Most of the time she likes to ride in the passenger seat next to me. Had a heck of a time getting her used to wearing the seat belt strap things on her harness, so I could keep her on that side of the car and not in my lap while driving... She's a bit to big for that! She still doesn't like it but, she loves riding in the car so, she's dealing with it.

I had decided not to remove the seat as I knew that it would lessen the resale value of the car if I were to sell it, plus I figured that if I would make "my bed" level, I could use the space under the sleeping plywood/bed as storage, which would compensate for lost storage on the floor behind the front seat.
We'll see... My plans for which vehicle I'll be driving are still wide open as I haven't got all the info yet on if it's in compliance with US standards or, if I can even afford insuring it down in the States... *grrrrr*

Lots to do and winter is really starting to set in up here. Freezing at night and highs if we're lucky at 40F during the day. Would have preferred it was spring and not heading into winter but... Oh well, life goes on and so do the seasons!

Good luck with all you have to do too. :) 
//Solani