Halfway there.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps a counselor is in order.  If you have differences which can not be reconciled then you may be forced to either compromise or go your separate ways.

My wife and I have a similar issue.  I am retired and want to spend my remaining time traveling but my wife wants to stay home and party with her close friends.  We try to compromise. We had a large class-A RV and she agreed to do the Alaska road trip with me last year, but when we got home, she made it clearly understood that she didn't want to go in any long trips again.  I like to travel because you just miss out on so many experiences when you just fly to a destination.  I feel that the trip is often more important than the destination. 

So I compromised.  It didn't make sense to drive a huge RV if I was going by myself, so I car camped last summer.  I did shorter trips from my home all summer long.  I'd only be gone a week and then would be back home for a week or so.   It satisfied my wonderlust while allowing my wife to continue with her women's parties.  I eventually was able to sell the class-A and bought a smaller class-B.  My idea being that I can easily pick up my wife at an airport in the class-B which is something I couldn't do in the class-A.  That way when I want to go to a major destination, I can drive/camp in the class-B, fly her to the destination, and then pick her up and camp.  That way if I decide to go into New England next fall, I can pick her up at Boston and then head up into Maine with her.

Thanks Mpruet. Definitely food for thought. Not sure if your sort of compromise would be financially feasible for us. A big part of what I am seeking, is the freedom from, as Jackson Browne so eloquently put it, "the struggle for the legal tender." I don't remember a time in my life, when I wasn't tied to earning so we take care of "things." I'm having a hard time justifying doing that for the rest of my life.