Looking for input on the Prepping mindset

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accrete

Reaction score
I have been pondering this Q for a while and wanted to put it out there in hope of gathering input and opinions.

Here goes...

My wife and I are full time RV'rs like many in this forum. We are not extreme preppers by any definition. We do have sufficient supplies to carry us through most natural disasters that we might encounter on the Oregon Coast short of the really "Big One" in which case the only hope may be a submarine ; )

That said, my wife and I hold the position that many times the best place to be is "Home" rather than bugging out. Now our "Home" happens to be a maxed out 43ft toyhauler, which, when tanks are full has ~170gallons of water, ~60gal of non-ethanol regular for the geni, etc... So this home, opposed to our "Bug out vehicle" AWD Van, could theoretically keep us going for several weeks (and yes we have a level of prep for those around us less prepared so it's not all about my wife and I).

BUT... and here is my primary ponder...
What is the situation (we are talking hypothetical here) if we or our fellow van'ers are out on the road with the typical 2 to 3 weeks of supplies, and end up in an area that has no roadways available? The rig(s) are stuck where they are, supplies run low, the only place to go is some sort of "camp" ?

Politics and conspiracies aside, I really can't see myself or wife wanting to make the decision to march off to some gov.run camp.

Comments? Opinions? Solutions?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Thom

I wouldn't want to get anywhere close to a "government camp". I would want to be in a rural area. I always carry extra food, enough to get me by a couple of weeks. If it was major enough I could get a job on a ranch, work for food. then there is always hunting or fishing. I would never recommend poaching but in an emergency situation I could see it. highdesertranger

At it's most basic prepping is simply planning for an emergency that you hope never happens. You stockpile enough food, water and supplies to tide you and any family over, hopefully for the duration of the emergency. The bare minimum would be three days worth, but highdesertranger's two weeks worth is a much better amount to have.

Speaking for myself, I live in an area that's prone to earthquakes, wildfires and mud slides, any of which could force me to leave my home or make the roads impossible to travel, trapping me in the area immediately surrounding my home. I keep extra food water and first aid supplies just in case. I hope that I never need them.

Post-apocalypse is one of my favorite reading genres, and with the indy-publishing wave that's hit e-books, there's a ton of prepper mentality story lines out there. While it's hard to really prepare for Zombies, the reality of just how precariously society is balanced on the consumer supply chain is a bit frightening. Major disruptions to the power grid (refrigeration) or fuel supply (distribution) could have cascading consequences...and a 3 week comfort window of home supplies could keep someone sitting tight far past the point of having shoulda got out of there.

One doesn't have to look far to find examples of how little it takes, and how quickly, major metro areas can devolve into anarchy. Throw in lack of food and abundance of firearms, and scenarios where it spreads exponentially outward aren't hard to imagine. So I think a lot of "prep" really boils down to knowing when to get out, route and travel contingencies, and knowing where you plan to go to sit it out...

Here's a pretty good read into strategic locations written for the prepper's mindset. Covers every state.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1568612621/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not set up very well for any sort of disaster and don't lose any sleep over it, that being said I'd like to be a little more prepared. Right now my location would be detrimental in a disaster situation as there are just way too many people and any disruption of the supply line would cause wide spread chaos.

I should be moved up to my house in Maine in the next week or so and i'll be in a much better position then. I guess for ultimate preparedness having both a well stocked home base and capable get out of dodge vehicle also well equipped or capable of becoming well equipped pretty quickly would cover most scenarios. Most disasters would be isolated incidences....like katrina. So either having enough on hand to ride it out or just driving out of the affected area to an area not affected would be two good options. If we ever witness a country wide disaster, well I'm not sure any amount of prep would be enough, short of living in the middle of nowhere Alaska where no other competition for resources was around.

get yourself a large fishing pole and get to the coast,get out a couple 4 hundred yards,bait with any meat and drop to bottom,the worst thing you will pull up is a sea bass,the best halibut,use their innards for bait,fresh water springs everywhere,inland the elk and deer will be gone almost instantly,ideally you would have enough bank to buy 10-40 acres pre-doom and gloom and homestead,.22.semi-auto carbine and a big rifle,make freinds

I have a couple of preppers among my friends.
The most comprehensive has a large "homestead". She has an 8 ft fence that completely surround it. She has planned out everything to defend it and survive without outside contact. She has goats, chickens. A large orchard, and farm. Grows berries of all kinds, and has a stocked fishery as well. She is planning off grid survival for 3 years. She is already living off the land. Off grid completely. No store purchases. Self contained. This has taken more than a decade to achieve.

The other has a bug out location that is kept secret, and well maintained. He and his wife have been building and stocking it for years.

They both expect the need to disappear...off grid in every sense.

DOOMSDAY is big business, lately been seeing more small survivalist type mom and pop stores. Obviously fueled by fear of the unknown, elections, foreign policy, ongoing conflicts. That said I have 2 weeks in the reserve in my camper truck. My mindset is moderation.

From what has happened in the past, government camps end up being centralized places where they can put the homeless under some kind of shelter, pass out food and clean water and other supplies, provide medical attention, and provide order and protection for the weak. They don't want to "keep you to raise." They want to get you back on your feet so you can get back to work and paying taxes. If you have your own shelter, it is that much easier for them. I would have no objection to being helped thru the worst of a disaster until I can safely get on with my life.

Being a lifelong Floridian, with the dangers of hurricanes and other storms causing flooding and power outtages, prepping has long been a way of life for me.
With Dad and Mom now passed away, I found their preps az Sister and I are cleaning their home out to eventually sell. Sister and BIL have no interest in prepping, so I get a good boost to my own preps.
Having my S&B gives me the space to store preps. The van, trailer and motorcycle become my BOVs if necessary. But in most scenarios, I bug in.

BradKW said:
I think a lot of "prep" really boils down to knowing when to get out, route and travel contingencies, and knowing where you plan to go to sit it out...
Never would have thought a PAW fan would live in the Keys, seems too locked in for quality prep.  Do you find it doable there?

After I read "One Second After" I gained a new appreciation for prep, although personally, I am going in the opposite direction.  Less stuff, less fear, more open.

gcal said:
From what has happened in the past, government camps end up being centralized places where they can put the homeless under some kind of shelter

I agree.  Except for say an asteroid, I don't see modern first-world nations being descending into apocalypse because of a natural disaster.  

A much greater threat, I think, by orders of magnitude, would be some sort of viral pandemic.  

I would caution against taking any of this prepper stuff too seriously... we're all gonna die anyway and it's not worth blowing all our money and time prepping for something that likely will never happen.

Location, Location, Location : )

I've been a part of the local HAM Radio scene on the Oregon Coast for the better part of 20 years. Some of you might have read about "Cascadia Rising" ? FEMA stated that it was the largest organized disaster exercise on record for the West Coast. One thing I took away from the exercise was something our contact shared, that basically the reason our SAR group(s) were not really being involved in the larger scope was that FEMA has basically written the Northern Oregon & Southern Washington coast line and inhabitants off ( < my short version ). They stated that their research indicates that _when_ the Big One hits the Cascadia Fault, that they are looking at upwards of 1,000, yes 1,000 possible bridge/drainage failures and landslides between hwy 101 on the coast and i5. . . and that those who survive should not expect any outside assistance for several months and no roads for at least that long and possibly up to a year. Local law enforcement/fire have pretty much stated we are on our own as there are so many points of possible failure that road conditions/etc might make response a no-go (that and lack of coms).

Ah, such is life on the Soggy Paradise called the Oregon Coast.
: ) Thom

no need to go way out of your way to prep. full timing and prepping has a lot in common lots of cross over gear. just keep a couple weeks extra food and a full tank of gas you are better prepared then 90% of the population. as far as gov camps how did that work out during Katrina? highdesertranger

Once the admin got a boot in the butt, it worked out. People who needed it got food, water, shelter and medical care. I don't think that kind of fiasco will happen, again.

We have about 2 months worth of food including some #10 can freeze dried stuff and packaged water for about 3 weeks in our block wall Suburban Phoenix home, near the edge of town. This supply includes about 2 months of food for the dogs.

We are armed, surrounded by neighbors which are not, and have a big dog, so being the "rednecks" in the neighborhood, We think we'd be less of a target than the rest of the neighbors when the "bad" people start coming looking for food.

Given a SHTF event, I think we are safest in our home, although the TT can be loaded an we can head out of dodge in a matter of hours. I think the roads would probably be a dangerous thing a few days into such an event. The decision to leave and do it has to be made in the first 24 hours. After that, stay home and hunker down.

I try to always have half a tank of gas in the truck, and have some in cans that I rotate so we have more on hand.

We have lots of LPG, usually keeping the two big ones on the trailer full and a few 5gal ones too.

I would think about researching the known most dangerous areas in the USA to be in.

5 most dangerous US hot spots beyond California for seismic:

http://www.wired.com/2008/10/five-us-earthqu/

useqhazmap.jpg

7 States with the most dangerous weather

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2016/05/19/7-states-with-the-most-dangerous-weather/2/

2016  forecast for wild fire potential

aug-fire-outlook.jpg

Tornado Potential

2000px-Tornado_Alley_Diagram.svg.png

Hurricane potential: Top 5 cities most vulnerable

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-hurricanes-atlantic-tropical-season/48281135

10 States most at risk for flooding

http://www.usnews.com/news/slideshows/10-states-most-at-risk-of-flooding

Most vulnerable Nuclear Power Plant Locations

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-plants-ranking-americas-most-vulnerable.html

Most Disaster-Prone areas in USA  (Bloomberg News)

tumblr_ncdllqIjzR1rge63io1_1280.jpg

I think mobility is your friend in any kind of emergency. Sure, fuel shortage could present a problem but at least a well-equipped RV could get you out of danger and keep you out of public shelters.

"I don't think that kind of fiasco will happen, again."

*snort* Govt has been  making the same mistakes over and over for generations.  Don't bet on them learning anything.  And Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré is now retired.

I've been into prepping for decades.  And when these conversations show up, the same plans for escape come with them.  Most people think they're actually going to escape the area after the disaster, and that makes me laugh out loud!  IN MOST CASES, YOUR CHANCE FOR ESCAPE HAS PASSED BECAUSE THERE EITHER WAS NO WARNING, OR YOU WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION.  Most of us will be stuck pretty close to where we are when it hit.

* If there is a big earthquake, at least some of the bridges/overpasses will collapse, and roads will be displaces (in AK, 1964, as much as 35 ft vertical).  Here in WA, I've traveled the I-5 corridor from top to bottom, and the best word for its design is CHUTE, with little or no escape.  If you can get out of your local area, you won't be going very far.  No one is going to clear the debris of collapsed building, power poles, large trees, etc, just for you. 

* If the power goes out (cascade-effect power outage, solar flare, EMP, etc), no fuel will be pumped, all signal lights will be out, and traffic will come to a standstill.  You won't be going anywhere very far or very fast.

* If you're near the coast and there's a local quake that sets off a tsunami (I'm mainly thinking of the W. Coast Cascadia Subduction Zone - CSZ), you'll have about 15 minutes to get to high ground.  The quake itself will have damaged the roads, bridges and overpasses, and most buildings will collapse.  Even if you can get to high ground, you won't be going far beyond it.

* If you're in the PNW and Mt. Rainier decides to erupt, it SHOULD give warning -- most volcanos do.  Most.  But if you decide that the smaller eruption is all there's going to be and you hang around, you won't be going very far once the Big One hits (think Mt. St. Helens, 5-18-80).  The big problem here is ash fall.  It's very, very fine ash, and it hangs in the air, and only very gradually settles, but it's easily stirred up, and is sucked into your vehicle's air filter.  I met a man who was driving east from Mt. St. Helens at the time of the blast, and he had to stop and clean the air filter about every 2  minutes.  Cars were stalled all along the road.

* Wildfires can be avoided... mostly.  It mainly depends on wind and terrain.  Make some poor decisions, and you won't be going far, and maybe even never again.  Get going when the going is possible.  Get out of that box canyon or where the roads are severely limited.  Don't depend on the prevailing wind, because large wildfires make their own wind.

* Hurricanes can also be avoided, if you move fast enough.  Do you remember all of those aerial photos of the 'parking lot' lines of the freeways out of New Orleans (etc) as Katrina approached?  You won't be going very far, very fast then, either.

* Most flooding can be avoided if you use your head, but you may be limited in how far you can get.  Impatient people who go into moving water tend to die a lot.  Find some high ground and stay put -- if you waited too long to escape, too bad -- it's too late now.

* IMO, people who are traveling in predicted ice storms/snow storms/hail storms deserve whatever they get.  Like someone said, "Life is hard, and it's harder when you're stupid."  Either get out ahead of it, or stay put and hole up.  Emergency personnel don't need to risk their own lives to save other peoples' dumb a$$es.

* Avalanches & Mudslides -- WHY would you be traveling in incipient disaster country?  WHAT could possibly be so important that you feel the need to endanger your life?  Just don't get into it!  Falling snow and falling rain shouldn't create very many surprises to the wary.  To the stupid, yes.

* Excessive Heat -- With high heat indexes comes a serious drain on power sources.  If one power station is weak or damaged, it can go out, and start drawing from the next power station, which goes out, and it starts drawing from the next power station -- it's called a Cascade Effect.  This one started in Arizona and went into SoCal and Mexico: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...rnias-worst-power-failure-started-arizona-de/    No A/C, no gas being pumped, no vehicle repairs being made, no stores open because their lights and cash registers don't work.  SURPRISE!  Just try to find a cool place and hunker down.

* Pestilence & Disease -- Again, running is probably not your best idea.  Most of these things are passed from person to person, and the way people travel now, it will get started practically everywhere.  If the effects are widespread, access to the goods you need may not be available because there isn't anyone to provide the services.  Stay put (preferably in a remote area) and don't cause trouble.

In a nutshell:  what you've got and where you are, are probably what you have to deal with, good orbad.  You're NOT going to get to that bug-out cabin 300 miles away.  You're NOT going to get the word ahead of everyone else and hit the road while everyone is still puttering at home.  YOU'RE PROBABLY STUCK PRETTY CLOSE TO WHERE YOU ARE.  DEAL WITH IT!

Train chaser, I have 'escaped' the following:
1. Tornadoes [by heeding warnings]
2. Hurricanes [see 1]
3. Flooding
4. Wildfires

Yes, there are disasters that happen suddenly, without warning, but most have at least some indication of imminence.