• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a legal residential address in Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Cat

Reaction score
I need a solid residential address in Arizona for various legal reasons. I'm willing to sign papers and pay a monthly "rental" fee of sorts, but since I'm a full time nomad, I would not live there of course. I have a separate mailing address, so I would not expect much mail to come, but in case if there ever was any official mail that somebody sent there, I would like to be alerted, so it can't be an unoccupied address. I know that most people on this forum are probably also full time nomads, but if you know someone who could provide this "service" for me, please PM me!

Thanks,

-Chris (C-Cat)

Is there a reason you can't set up a mailbox at a UPS store? They give a real street address.
Or is this for the Patriot Act requirement? If so, I thought it needed to be a "next of kin" address?

I would be happy to help, but we plan to be away 5 months next year.

Yeah, I have a UPS mailbox in Flagstaff and the ADOT (motor vehicle department) didn't accept it. Now I'm trying to get health insurance for 2018 and I'm running up the same problem. Having a regular residential address just for those few "official" purposes would make my life a lot easier... ;) Even for a few month it would be fine, then I would have time to find another address.

-Chris

Unfortunately, hubby nixed the idea... :(
Sorry!
Hope you can find someone soon!

I'd go to Coyote Howls and rent a space. $500 for the year but it is a totally legal space, you'll never be questioned about it.

Sorry to hear, SondraRose, thanks anyway!

Thanks Bob... I'll definitely look into that!

Yes many people would be concerned about legal liability, for good reason if the "renter" turned out to be a bad sort.

I'm really thinking about just driving to Livingston, Texas, and going with the Escapees. They made it so it really works.
Dang that's going to be a long drive, but Texas has some good points. Now let's see, what are Texas's good points again?

one bad point about Texas is the annual vehicle safety inspections. highdesertranger

The misses and I will be buying some land here in Arizona soon. Anyone have a good reason why we shouldnt "rent" the address to forum members?

Just poked around a bit and found that this wouldn't fall under the Arizona Landlord and Tenant act.
Which means the lease contract could basically be anything and no problems. Unless I'm missing something.
Also, the land we are looking at is all no-wheres-ville unincorporated so no inspections or emissions testing.
I'm thinking $10 per month or $100 per year, right to park for up to 24h per year, mail delivery notification.

Do your research first. Running a letterbox service falls under laws, regulations, and liability, insurance etc.

I believe you are required to meet in person, verify their ID, keep copies in case criminal activities, etc

Currently poking around the Arizona Revised Statutes to see what I can find.
Haven't happened upon an issue that can't be handled via contract (so far).
We would probably only do leases to those who show up in person anyways.

Keep in mind, the person would truly be renting land and/or essentially a timeshare.
Just with limited rights to use since the address is all that is really desired anyways.

Fed regs, google "commercial mail receiving agency" CMRA

No. We're talking about renting space. The person renting the space is just like any other renter of any property.
Their mail is delivered just like it is to any other tenant with no responsibility from the landlord.
The idea of letting someone know they have mail is not the same as the assumption of legal responsibility for that mail as their agent.

highdesertranger said:
one bad point about Texas is the annual vehicle safety inspections.  highdesertranger

I don’t mind vehicle inspections at all, my van is in supreme operating condition.

Gideon33w said:
The misses and I will be buying some land here in Arizona soon. Anyone have a good reason why we shouldnt "rent" the address to forum members?

Now that would save me a drive to Texas. Right now, it's either Arizona or Texas.

highdesertranger said:
one bad point about Texas is the annual vehicle safety inspections.  highdesertranger

Depends on the county.  Not all counties have the annual vehicle inspection.  I was just checking that out a few days ago.

waldenbound said:
I'm really thinking about just driving to Livingston, Texas, and going with the Escapees. They made it so it really works.
Dang that's going to be a long drive, but Texas has some good points. Now let's see, what are Texas's good points again?

the food

ok I am not saying it's a hassle because your vehicle is junk but just the fact that you must drive back to Texas to have it done and you have to pay for it. yes it is state wide every vehicle registered in Texas must do it. now emission testing is only required in 17 counties. to me it's an added hassle and expense. also I would like to point out in Arizona you can do multiple years up to 5 years. I like not having to worry about it for 5 years. it's also dirt cheap in AZ, I mean like unbelievably cheap. highdesertranger