Vehicle insurance without residential "garage-able" address

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandanavia

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been living in my 06 Dodge grand caravan for almost a full year, and I'm enjoying less stress living. I was able to use a family members address for mail etc but recently had to get a PO Box with "real address". The post office notified my insurance (Geico) and now Geico wants to know what my residence is. I don't want to tell them I don't have a residence because I heard they could cancel my policy. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover a person without residence? I live in FL. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Check with Escapee's club for a Florida address and insurance advice.

What bullfrog said.
I am curious how you got a PO Box with out a residence in a real house. Sorry went back and seen "Real Address" in your post. Is that a fake address generator?
What address do you use for license and registration?

What Bullfrog is saying. 

There are re mailing services all over the country and many nomads find them in states that do not have State Income Tax,  so that if you are registered there you don't have to worry about filing state income tax returns there each year.

South Dakota has a great one where you only need to stay in a motel one night and take your receipt to the remail service the next day to get a box.  They will allow you to use the physical address of their building as "your address".  Then you can go (if you wish) to the Post Office and get a form (1580 ?) and fill it out, get it notarized and give it to the remail service so that they can open your mail, scan it and then email it to you. Then shred it.  In this step you become a resident of South Dakota and can go register to vote, and go about getting a drivers license. (which I've heard are good for 5 years and you can renew them online or via mail)   I'm sure other remail services may have similar services to offer.

Truckers, Full Time RVer's, Merchant Marine Sailors, Airline Pilots, Military stationed overseas, Nomads, etc all avail themselves of services like these.

Bob often mentions this Florida site:

St Brenden's Isle Remail Service

I have geico online and never had that problem, but then even a PO Box is tied to a physical address at some point as is banking. The physical address can be "in care of" someone who lives permanently at that address if you are driveway parking or otherwise renting space. 

I am checking out the Hartford for insurance as they send me offers saying they will save me $500 over geico price. Anyone have experience with this?
-crofter