Looking at traveling before i commit full time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vot13

Reaction score
Ive done alot of research and I have made my first step. I bought a 3/4 ton conversion van with a bed in the back. It is a 92 Dodge Ram. I am challenged physically im disabled and overweight but this seems like it could change my sedentary life style. I cannot work far but I can walk fine I have neuropathy in my feet and some other problems but hey im alive. I barely make it on disability with hud housing but it sounds like van living could be done cheaper. I thought about turning the passenger seat around setting up a desk area and putting in a little cooking section. I need to get solar power and am wondering how I can have air conditioning with either towing a generator or with solar. I want water a way to cook a way to power a laptop and phone 24/7 except when im sleeping. I will need the internet to entertain myselkf and i need a heater that will suffice. I think the van has some insulation however like on a 60 degree day the van can get fairly hot. My size I need to keep cool when its hot im not a whale just real sensative to temp. and of course to stay warm when its really cold, Now it is a conversion van so it has air conditioning ran to the back and heating based on just running the engine. Should I have everything redone, Or can i modify what I got to suffice which is what i would prefer as im limited on money btw the van has 114000 miles. Please any beginner advicse would be really welcomed.

I was electrocuted and damaged all my fibrous nerves. I take Lyrica so make sure your insurance covers you where you go and bolt a small good lock box to the floor somewhere cause unfortunately every place has that one asshole....

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Congrats on the van!

I've been in my 99 GMC hi-top for over 3 years  now, with very little modification, so it's possible for you, too.

No need right now for solar or generators. A good sleeping bag is better than carrying more blankets. 

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the CRVL forums vot13! Trying it out before you commit to full time is a good idea. Go out for a weekend, then extend it to a week and you'll have a better idea of what you need and want. Most of your questions should be answered in other sections of the forum such as "Van" and " Electric, Batteries..." . Read through some of the threads but if you don't find the answers, please feel free to ask more questions. You'll get better answers if you start a new thread.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from the folks here. Good luck with your new adventures