Liquid fuels for lanterns etc.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago I had a few oil lamps in case of emergencies. They sell "Lamp Oil" at most big box stores. This lamp oil is fairly inexpensive and is much safer than kerosine. Using lamp oil is also very safe to use in enclosed areas as well so this makes it ideal for a van dwelling situation.

I plan on buying an oil lamp or two and using them to some degree for lighting and heat as well.

Don't use the coloured lamp oil. I had to replace a wick (tubular Aladdin) because the only lamp oils available at the time was coloured and scented. Stick with the clear lamp oils.

Pikachu711 said:
A few years ago I had a few oil lamps in case of emergencies. They sell "Lamp Oil" at most big box stores. This lamp oil is fairly inexpensive and is much safer than kerosine. Using lamp oil is also very safe to use in enclosed areas as well so this makes it ideal for a van dwelling situation.

I plan on buying an oil lamp or two and using them to some degree for lighting and heat as well.

Curious... what about lamp oil makes it safer than kerosene?

I guess if you buy the cheap kero, not the "water white" then it would be more polluting than "lamp oil" (mineral spirits). otherwise the same dangerous stuff.