Lightweight Travel Trailers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiemartinez1211

Reaction score
Hello Folks, so I'm researching like crazy to get ready to start my adventure. Here's my dilemma: it appears my 2017 Kia Sportage has a max towing capacity of 2000 lbs. 
I just need a very simple small trailer for sleep shelter. Don't need the bells and whistles to start my journey. Don't need a fidge, stove, heavy duty compressor, etc. 

Can anyone suggest or recommend ideas? I did see the video of Bob converting a Cargo Trailer, which appear to be light weight and he kept it very cost efficient. I'd like to keep my cost under $4,000 but closer to $3,000, if possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks R

Hello R. There is a class of very small trailer with just bed, and possibly a pantry in the back opening to the outside, called a Teardrop. New ones are not cheap, but this is the sort of thing you're describing. Some people go DIY, but that's a lot of work of course.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+teradrop+trailer

For a small cargo trailer, they do come in 4'x6' and 5'x8' sizes. You could sleep in those units with just a cot or air mattress for starters, and build up as you go. Much cheaper than Teardrop. Need to make sure beforehand that your SUV can pull it, of course.

There are also popup tents that go on top of the car if you're so inclined. They only take a minute to deploy and undeploy. They maybe more susceptible to wind however, especially being so high off the ground.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/g2585/8-roof-top-tents/

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Hello Folks, so I'm researching like crazy to get ready to start my adventure. Here's my dilemma: it appears my 2017 Kia Sportage has a max towing capacity of 2000 lbs. 
I just need a very simple small trailer for sleep shelter. Don't need the bells and whistles to start my journey. Don't need a fidge, stove, heavy duty compressor, etc. 

Can anyone suggest or recommend ideas? I did see the video of Bob converting a Cargo Trailer, which appear to be light weight and he kept it very cost efficient. I'd like to keep my cost under $4,000 but closer to $3,000, if possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks R

Hi Rosie-- I've just posted in a different forum about needing to sell a lightweight fiberglass trailer that belonged to my mother, who passed away this spring. I was asking about selling rigs at RTR, and someone with this same trailer directed me over here to your post, which was very kind of her to do. It's a lovely thing, actually rare and "collectible",  a 1974 Hunter Compact II. These lightweight trailers can be pulled by 4-cyl cars-- my mother pulled it easily with her 2001 PT Cruiser (Chrysler). It weighs about 1100 pounds (or less, estimates vary), would probably total 1600 or so once you have your stuff in it.  I don't have any photos currently but can take some.  It has a propane stove, water capacity and sink, a propane heater/furnace, closet and pantry, bed that converts to a table, icebox. It may have a black tank (which I can check for), but if so the toilet was removed before my mother bought it, but these trailers are always described as having a flush toilet originally. In any case, she used a bucket-style toilet. My mother made curtains for it and there is a set of matching dishes. It has a pop top, which my mother never used because she was only 5'1", and I know it might need work. BUT, the trailer is completely watertight with the pop top down-- one of the features of the fiberglass trailers is that they usually don't leak.  We have clean title and registration for it.

This is not a restored trailer (which can go for over $10K), but it is in generally good condition, all the drawers and doors work, windows, original light fixtures, etc.  She had installed an air conditioner (that needs a plug-in) in the window above the trailer hitch, or you could decide to remove that.  I know this isn't a selling forum so this might not be the best place to discuss this. You could PM me.  So point being, I now have tips about where to list it for sale instead of hauling it out to Quartzite, but if you might be interested, we could maybe talk about it before I do that.  We just sold her car to someone in our neighborhood who noticed the car was sitting for a couple of months and stopped in about it.  We didn't get top dollar for it, but we made some people really happy. I kind of like it when things just fall together like that.  We'd be willing to sell it for near the lower end of your range. And, fyi, we're in Southwest Mississippi (where you'd need to come pick it up), where we relocated to care for my mother in her last few years.  Here is one of these same trailers, it's already sold (it's a more perfect one than ours) but you can see some photos and explore the site about the super lightweight fiberglass trailers: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f53/1973-hunter-compact-ii-4-200-a-76893.html   If I don't hear back, which is totally ok of course, I'll get started on the listing.   :)