2019 Kia Forte

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
Sorry, this is long.

I got a Kia Forte about six months ago to replace my old and ailing 2007 Toyota Prius. I had no intentions of living out of the Forte when I got, I just liked the fact that I could get an almost brand new car with 11,000 miles for $14,000 dollars.

The Prius is a far superior car for living in because you can easily sleep in the back because it is a hatchback style vehicle. Not to mention the Prius’s ability to run heating and AC at night with low cost.

With the Forte I was forced to sleep in the drivers, which turned out to not be that bad. I just have to place a bag of clothes under my feet so I can elevate them. Sleeping in the front affords me so much extra storage space in the back, so I’m very happy with that.

The forte gets 45 mpg on interstate/highway and 37 mpg in the city. This is actually very comparable to the Prius, as long as you don’t drive like a maniac and slam on the pedal when you need to accelerate.

In the Forte I’m able to run heating or cooling at night. the vehicle is extremely quiet, sometimes I can’t hear the engine at night. Running the Forte for 12 hours in idle, running heat at 62 degrees at the lowest fan speed, uses about an eight of a tank of gas. I’ve only ran the engine for 12 hours when it’s 30s or lower in temperature. Last night I didn’t run the vehicle at all when I went to sleep. I woke up about 5:30 this morning feeling chilly, so I turned on the engine and ran the heat for a couple hours before I woke up to start my day.

“Boredom is the Mind Killer.”

Yesterday I realized that I have to do a better job of conserving gas in my car and not use it to constantly power my phone, laptop, and a portable DVD player. So I’ve been trying to keep the car off when at my camping spot.

Im able to watch movies and television on my phone, and it future I’ll be able to access my 8 terabytes of movies/shows on my laptop after I order a drive bay from Amazon.

I’m thinking of getting a battery and putting it in the passenger foot well and setting up foldable solar panels. I have no space in the truck, but I could easily put a lot of that stuff in storage and put the battery in the trunk, may be safer that way.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you know what grinds my gears, car manufacturers who create a tire well for a spare tire and don’t give you a spare tire. Instead it has a styrofoam cargo holder molded to fit the tire well. No tire Jack either, but it has a 12 volt air compressor [emoji2959] . I can’t believe I have to go buy a spare and jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t edit the title from Lia to Kia on my phone. Sorry

Edit: actually I can edit it

Be careful running your engine all night while you sleep, you may not wake up the following morning. Question...was this the life you imagined for yourself, sleeping, eating, watching movies in your car all day ?

You may want to change things up, and start walking, going to the library, visiting sites, get a pet, take up fishing, gat a hobby.

Get a better sleeping bag. You need to be able to stay warm WITHOUT an artificial heat source. This is very important. Get a better sleeping bag and stop running your car to stay warm.

Highdesertranger

I haven’t ran the car the last two nights I’ve slept. I got a great night of sleep last night.

ckelly78z said:
Be careful running your engine all night while you sleep, you may not wake up the following morning. Question...was this the life you imagined for yourself, sleeping, eating, watching movies in your car all day ?

You may want to change things up, and start walking, going to the library, visiting sites, get a pet, take up fishing, gat a hobby.

I suspect this is why I woke up with a really bad headache Monday morning. I felt hungover

ckelly78z said:

I’ll have a job at some point also, I’ll be looking forward to it actually. It won’t be so boring.

Are you out here in Quartzsite? That’s great gas mileage!!!!