License Plate Surveilance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since like forever! Remember when they informed us the "latest" spy satellite could read license plates in the late.. 90s???

If anyone thought that all those intersection/red light cameras were for catching light runners, well, there's therapy for that.

They didn't need the big computer complex in Utah for nothing: it can process 6000 bits of information on Each person in the WORLD every second.... or faster and more by now. License numbers are a cinch.

they already have free access to the information through the DMV.

I worked for a repo company briefly, their private systems had every license plate in there. I would go around all night long scanning plates with ir cameras looking for a vehicle up for repo. I could pull up your name, address, place of employment, and if applicable your loan amount, how much you've paid, how much you owe, your co-signers name and address, and their places of employment, etc. I could do it to any vehicle, even ones not up for repo, in case they were trying to swap plates....which was common.

it's pretty much the whole point of license plates in the first place....to ID you and the cars VIN.

One of the more interesting snips of information was that NY was going to do away with toll booths on a bunch of bridges and use license plate readers to send you a bill.  Wonder how that's going to work out for us nomads?  Wonder how long we'll have to pay them before penalties kick in?

Being a toll collector on a bridge used to be a well paying government job.  Guess it's going the way of buggy whip manufacturers . . .

License Plate scanning has been used in various places for years, same as Facial Recognition. Gotta love tecnology, eh? "Personal Privacy" died years ago. Welcome to The Brave New World........ (remember that book?)

Makes me think of Ian Malcolm's statement, "Just because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we SHOULD!"

Just dont be a problem, and it does not matter.

My neighbor got his jeep taken, and the police found it parked in a lot in KC by this teck.  

It gives the LEO a starting point on who to expect to see.  My record is clean.

Whoever is watching my life must be bored to death. Although I did get to eat an amazing cupcake today, so that was probably a thrill for them.

Was at a "Rest area" got awaken by a stater who said "You cannot block your plate" (I had a container for the generator) and I asked him "Why would it be OK for me to have it blocked by a trailer, instead of this?"

His reply "You want me to cite you?" Our state troopers (Washington State) must not want to answer a legitimate question. Thing is that they cruise the stops and check for stolen cars and wanted felons....Frankly a rest stop would be my NEVER choice if On the run. I KNEW cops patrolled those areas years ago...

LeeRevell said:
License Plate scanning has been used in various places for years, same as Facial Recognition.  Gotta love technology, eh?  "Personal Privacy" died years ago.  Welcome to The Brave New World........  (remember that book?)

Makes me think of Ian Malcolm's statement, "Just because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we SHOULD!"

Regarding facial recognition. This is why you are told "Do not smile while taking your photo" makes it easier for facial recognition...

Have to agree with GotSmart. If you're not doing anything illegal then there's nothing to worry about. If you need to evade surveillance then just start by getting rid of your electronics and go old school Stone age. Change your patterns too because they can predict where you're most likely to be i.e. if you're a rodeo fan better quit attending those events. Change your appearance and interact as little as possible. I like the term the British Intelligence uses for this, they call it "becoming a gray man". It fits so well because you want to blend in with others in at least a midsized city where no one notices you're new or even thinks twice about your behavior.

Best of all is if you have never come to the attention of law enforcement and have never indicated to anyone that you have certain ideas/thoughts that might be of great concern to enforcement. That's why the lone wolf scenario is the top worry today. Luckily most people just don't have the ability to always think everything through or they can't sever themselves from family and friends so lone wolves are extremely rare. I find it fascinating how they use so many tactics to ferret out what happened and who did it.

Smiles ruin the measurements of cheek bones etc. Most think it's a system that matches the face but it actually uses a set of parameters and I've heard they may be able to read retinal scans from a distance.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
One of the more interesting snips of information was that NY was going to do away with toll booths on a bunch of bridges and use license plate readers to send you a bill.  Wonder how that's going to work out for us nomads?  Wonder how long we'll have to pay them before penalties kick in?

Being a toll collector on a bridge used to be a well paying government job.  Guess it's going the way of buggy whip manufacturers . . .

Recently returned from a 2 month road trip (CA, AZ, NM, TX, NV) only to find 2 toll violations in my mailbox. TX & CA less than $25 combined but didn't even know I was on a toll road. Heavy rain, etc. Google maps are clueless. At any rate, they found me via license plate. Apparently if it happens again I have to pay $206.00 extra. If I don't pay in 30 days they place a lien on my car. 

It's all a little unnerving. Makes me want to ditch the car and travel by train and boat.

Optimistic Paranoid said:

About three years ago, I was out wintering in California and had to go on a business trip to Seattle so I had to head south to SF airport. There were no toll booths on the Golden Gate bridge! I found out that you have to go on a website and pay the toll there. I entered my plate wrong though and ended up getting a letter a couple of months later but they were really nice about sorting it out.

Helps explain why, among the "free" ebooks on the sites I check, there is often a "how to disappear" listing ...

Queen said:
Whoever is watching my life must be bored to death.  Although I did get to eat an amazing cupcake today, so that was probably a thrill for them.

That's what they probably think about me. "What is this lady, half Amish or something? Snoozy-fest."

Massachusetts is implementing the pay by plate system and will mail you a ticket if you don't have the EZ pass, there was an article in the paper when the first toll booth switched over to this system, people were being fined in the thousands of dollars for late payments on $3 fines. Wish people would protest this kind of stuff instead of what's all over the news now.

Mass also said they drafted laws to make it illegal to use the automated plate readers for anything other than amber alerts when a child goes missing. Hoewever, I'm sure they use it for other means and just don't announce it as the way they made the big drug bust or what have you. That was "the random pull over" I keep reading more and more about.

http://www.salemnews.com/news/local...cle_23bb90f3-ed93-5940-ae1b-7ff8aea11ed1.html

waldenbound said:
That's what they probably think about me. "What is this lady, half Amish or something?"

Maybe a handsome Amish employee of the Big Brother Department will call you up and invite you to a barn raising.

He'll have your phone number.  They know where you are. :D

GotSmart said:
Just dont be a problem, and it does not matter.

My neighbor got his jeep taken, and the police found it parked in a lot in KC by this teck.  

It gives the LEO a starting point on who to expect to see.  My record is clean.
"Just don't be a problem and it does not matter" 

I'm sure someone said these same words to the protesters that were dumping crates of tea over the sides of the boat in the Boston Harbor.  Had someone not said enough is enough we'd still be flying an English Flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.