Wyoming Warning: *** Arrest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as someone who as personally had their life wrecked by someone like this, driving with no insurance, reg or license. i do not feel sorry for her in the slightest. she got her self into that tight spot and has no one to blame but her self. if her claims of mistreatment while incarcerated are true, then there needs to be some corrective action at that facility. but it does not make her a saint, she needed to be taken off the road before she ruined someones life

Seminole Wind said:
as someone who as personally had their life wrecked by someone like this, driving with no insurance, reg or license. i do not feel sorry for her in the slightest. she got her self into that tight spot and has no one to blame but her self. if her claims of mistreatment while incarcerated are true, then there needs to be some corrective action at that facility. but it does not make her a saint, she needed to be taken off the road before she ruined someones life

I don't know their situation, or the one that you experienced.  You certainly have the right to feel compassion or not.  

I am quite aware that a lot of people simply choose to not work, and make bad choices.  And being hit by someone with no insurance is an experience I simply have not been forced to experience.  I understand that a lot of bitterness can be the result of that .   Even a lot of pain and suffering, especially if you were injured and forced to pay your own medical bills.  I myself would be really bitter about that.  

What I DO know, after only a year on the half on the road, is that there are a lot of people out there who are living on the road, barely scraping by, who did NOT get themselves into this tight spot.  As someone who used to work/live in the Corporate world, I have seen plenty of people simply get released because their job could be done cheaper by someone younger or living off-shore.  I personally know someone who worked for a large insurance company that was released after 20 years of working for them.... they built a case for her dismissal... right before she would have been able to draw a fairly decent pension.  

Bad stuff happens to very decent people.  That is simply the truth.  I would be willing to put money on my hypothesis that there are many people on this forum who have not chosen to live this life, but were forced to ... by circumstances beyond their control.  

Over the last couple of years, I've noticed more people , it seems like every week, being forced to live in their cars. 

Regards,

WP

Nobody's life has ever been physically harmed by driving without insurance, registration or a license. They are intangible requirements.

Someone's life can/ might be physically harmed in an accident caused by intoxication, carelessness, poor driving skills, inattention, fatigue, wrecklessness, poor judgement, lack of control and or experience,, negligence, impatience/speed, etc...
All those things which cause accidents due to human infallibility. Even with a license, insurance and registration, none of those are prevented and can harm lives. I would go so far as to blame the system and human nature, lack of proper training and awareness of good driving skills, both physical and mental. How many of us have taken driver awareness and defensive courses? And refreshed them on a regular basis? I ride a motorcycle, defensive driving is critical for my survival and enjoyment. There is no margin for error.

But one is not a cause of the other.
So sorry that it happened to you however.

Accidents happen. On the road more frequently and with life-changing consequences.

To the point that it is easy to make the case that allowing the use of private vehicles is unethical.

But just like other useful but dangerous products we decide as a society to tolerate the collateral damage in exchange for our "freedom" to use them.

Having at least the mandatory liability insurance is just as much a cost of owning a vehicle as the license plate and fuel.

Failing to do so is irresponsible and anti-social.

It's a screwed up system for sure. In one Los Angeles neighborhood I lived in, it was over 80% of people who did not carry auto insurance. It was a poor neighborhood and they simply could not afford it. Public transportation was unreliable and inadequate, but they had to go to work no matter what. It's much more common to be poor or struggling than to be able to get along without a car. It's closer to the truth that no car = no job, I'd guess. Whether you can afford the insurance or not.

So this lady apparently was in NM working, and got a call that her mother was hospitalized in MT. Somebody offered her the use of their car, which apparently was not current on its registration. The lady did not have a valid driver's license, but she was in such a panic, she got behind the wheel anyway. After a nightmarish 24 hours dealing with law enforcement and jail, she finds herself back out on the street, no car, charged with a felony.

Moral: when in those circumstances, ride the Dog. You'll arrive sooner.

The Dire Wolfess

Thought the thread was about *** and related laws. I'll leave the judgement to those you who have intimate details of the incident.

I would STILL like to know what ultimately happened to this woman.  Did she have a trial, did she get to her mother's, did she pay a fine?  I'm also wondering if the person who owns the car get it back, or lose it due to impound fees?

The thread was about what can happen to a person who is stopped and *** is found. I think everything so far has revolved around that, with a few minor departures (I'm the OP).

The local judge dismissed the case. The woman is bringing suit against the county due to her incredibly shabby treatment at their hands, which weighed into the judge's decision to dismiss. I don't know whether she ever got to her mother.

Turns out the local health food store was selling the exact brand of *** she had in her possession.

The Dire Wolfess

so in other words the *** part was just ancillary and inflammatory.

what is real, is she was driving illegally, got busted, and doesnt want to own up for her wrong doing.

Also, the *** issue was a fig leaf to "justify" LEO getting away with criminally abusing her.

If what Dire Wolf stated was the case, have not seen anything else on that.

Are there links to the actual story as reported ?

So often news stories don't line up with facts. They make things sound so much worse than they actually are. That's a great way to sell newspapers.

I was hoping for the latest story on the trial. Oh well. Moving on.

Moxadox said:
"The *** oil was found in Maddux’s purse when she was being booked at the jail, according to court documents." The beginning of the thread, I thought she was arrested because of *** oil but she was arrested and jailed for not being able to pay $850.00. "According to the probable cause affidavit, Willcox asked Maddux if she could pay an $850 fine for the tickets or appear in court on July 31. The affidavit stated Maddux said she could do neither. She didn’t think that would land her in jail, Maddux said. “I have never been pulled over before. So I thought the best thing to do was just to be honest about my situation.” According to the affidavit, however, Maddux started things off on the wrong foot. She “initially told Deputy Willcox she had [forgotten] her driver’s license at a house where she was staying but later admitted her license was significantly expired.”

Those who can not post bail they end up in jail until court hearing.