Land in Pahrump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morefun

Reaction score
Not sure where to place this post. Please move if in the wrong spot.
Our family has been looking for a tiny bit of land to sit 6 months out of the year. Longer if weather is great.
We saw these lots for sale around Pahrump NV.
Anyone here have experience with RV/Vandwelling on your own land for X amount of time?

Pahrump has a new restrictions since 01/2020 that you have to have a lot that is at least 0.2 acres (8712 sq ft) in order to put a dueling (prefab - mobile - RV) on it and live there. You can park it, but not live in it. It also has to be hidden from view (garage, carport, etc.).

Before you buy anything, call the county office and ask what you can and can't do in such and such address.
It will save you a lot of pain.

ALSO make sure the lot is not in a floodplain, and the vast majority of cheap lots are and washes run through them every time it rains hard.

Caballo Loco Ranch south of Tucson looks good to me. $880 per year (He has a few options like a 6mo in / 6 mo out)
I have yet to contact them but plan to do so soon.
Bob Wells CRVL youtube channel has a video on the ranch and rental options.

Prices went up a little this year at Caballo Loco to $1000 yearly for a boondocking site but yes it is a great deal. We have had a lot there for 3 years now. There are state lands and BLM lands as well in the area for shorter stays. There are other well developed parks in and around Benson Az as well if you want full hook up 23/7 that do 6 months in and store 6 months or any combination of stay and last I checked they were around $3,000 a year max plus a charge for electrical usage. If you stay year round it is more. Caballo Loco does do limited hook ups but it was over $2,000 a year but less than $3,000 and not enough generator run time for air conditioning. As it is electricity is only available at full hook up sites 9AM till 9PM in winter and in summer only a day or two a week. There is 8 plus miles of dirt road in. With Covid 19 some places are not allowing new people to stay so call ahead before traveling.

vgilbert said:
Caballo Loco Ranch south of Tucson looks good to me. $880 per year (He has a few options like a 6mo in / 6 mo out)
I have yet to contact them but plan to do so soon.
Bob Wells CRVL youtube channel has a video on the ranch and rental options.
yes, i saw that video and the place looked great with all the amenities like the 
laundromat and mail-forwarding service. i particularly liked the spot that Canadian had ;)

Speaking of AZ RV spots with year round storage, is there another one that is neither Caballo nor Coyote that does the same thing? I checked with a search in one of the sub forums,but did not see anything.

Re: Pahrump, there is land use that allows seasonal RV parking on a lot with no livable structures. You would not want to be there in Summer anyway. It's hard to find information on the Nye County web site. I had found the info by searching on the name of an official connected to Zoning (cannot remember details, that was so last month) and found a link to where they get into the details. [Is that an indicator of what dealing with Nye County can be like?]

All I have now is this bit of code, Land Use "282 - Single Family Residential with Minor Improvements - No Livable Structures". Storage buildings, carports, etc. are okay. But don't plan on staying year round. If you want to see an example, and are in Pahrump, go West on Basin from NV-160 to 40 Cindy Dr, on the SW corner of Cindy Dr and 160, it's on 1.2 acre.

What caught my eye was the taxes on that lot for a year.

Benson AZ had storage facilities for fairly cheap on a yearly basis and also San Pedro RV park does the 6 month in and 6 month out for around $2900 a year I believe. The yearly rate is right at $4,000 plus metered electricity. Escapees has a park just outside of town as well that has storage for lot holders and I believe monthly rates are between $300 and $400 as you also have mattered electricity I believe. Nice thing about Benson is it is about 75 miles to Tucson on I10 and there is a Walmart in town. Sierra Vista is a nice area and has some RV parks as well. Lots of BLM land in the area. Temps get cooler as you get closer to the New Mexico border.