Knitting and Knitting Instructor

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossmgirl

Reaction score
I haven't launched yet and hit the road but one of my hobbies is knitting. I've taught several classes at our local continuing ed and once I become a Master Knitter (certified), I should be able to travel and teach, earning a decent income. We shall see!

Good on you, Blossmgirl!
I'm a crocheter (nowhere near a master, lol), and just can't get the hang of 2 needles instead of one hook! I'm hell on wheels with a Nifty Knitter, though :p

What an excellent way to make a living! Good luck to you!

Good Luck! It is a great hobby which should be promoted more.

I have taught knitting many times. Also have many awards from shows and exhibitions. Not sure if I would call myself a master.... but I did at one stage teach designing your own knitwear, with yarn, stitches and tension of one's own choice.

The best time I ever had was teaching a hobby class to grade two. The children had the choice of many hobbies, and parents were asked if they could provide instructions for their favourite. Eight littlies enrolled in my knitting group...... My daughter and seven little boys!

We had a ball. They took it very seriously. Months after, I was still being stopped in the schoolyard to help with dropped stitches, etc. A wonderful experience.

Right now I am working out how I can possibly take at least one of my knitting machines in my van.

Lifey

I'm also a knitter, but I'm not great. Apparently I knit backwards.

fbear, are you sure they didn't say you're a backwards knit? Not that you knit backwards.(<:

That's awesome. I'm playing with crochet and knit right now also. I want to make those little stuffed animals - amigurumi - and sell them on the road.

I crochet, embroider, just taught myself to knit by watching YouTube videos (so I'm not very good yet)so I can drag all this stuff along with me.

I don't know how to knit I was blank about this but I mist say that after getting this thread have come to know that lots of information. Now, I have got enough information about this and will like to share with my friend soon.

Why am i such a knitwit
Is it because I'm a misfit.
Using yarn to make hats,
Scarves, socks and Afghans,
Not only am I a knitwit
I'm a happy hooker too
Maybe i'm not really misfit.
i might just be addicted to yarn. Oh and Gary is my Boyfriend. My name is LaurielovesGary

GoGarygo said:
Why am i such a knitwit
Is it because I'm a misfit.
Using yarn to make  hats,
Scarves, socks and Afghans,
Not only am I a knitwit
I'm a happy hooker too
Maybe i'm not really misfit.
i might just be addicted to yarn.  Oh and Gary is my Boyfriend. My name is LaurielovesGary

Nicely said. :D

I've been a Knifty Knitter for several years now. I can usually make a hat in about an hour and a half. I've picked up about 20 looms for knitting and my wife wants me to teach it in a class at her work during lunchtimes.

I never have figured out what knit one and purl two means. I think that's one of those things guys just aren't supposed to know about.. Kind of like what's in a womans purse..

I pick up most of my yard from yard sales and usually get them by the garbage bag full for a few dollars so I have enough to make probably 50 hats.

I usually make them and take them over to the no-kill animal shelters and donate them to the store there so the money goes to helping the animals.

I've also got about 50 spools of paracord and lacross cord for making bracelets, key fobs, wrapping handles and I'm always looking at more and more patterns online for making more things with it.

You really can't make any money but, when someone see's that I'm donating my money to a worthy cause, they'll usually pick up a pink breast cancer bracelet or a flage watchband. I've got enough spools to create pretty much any school color combination I know of and those sell pretty quick..

What really irks me is when someone finds out I make these things and they say "Can you make me a hat?? and they don't even offer to pay for the cord or anything..

grumpygrizzly said:
I've been a Knifty Knitter for several years now.  I can usually make a hat in about an hour and a half.  I've picked up about 20 looms for knitting and my wife wants me to teach it in a class at her work during lunchtimes.  

I never have figured out what knit one and purl two means. 
What it means is first row (#1) do a knit stitch, then you turn the work and  for the next row (#2) you do a purl stitch.
What that pattern creates is ribs. Ribs are good for making cuffs at the ends of sleeves or the top of socks or for a ribbed hat or scarf.

Now you know, knit 1, purl 2.

Of course that means I have
1. solved a mystery for you
or
2. spoiled a good mystery by revealing the solution to it
or
3. messed up your standard story line