Knifemaker Unplugged

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Livelys

Reaction score
I make knives without using electricity. When Im on public lands I use a charcoal forge to forge and heat treat the steel. I made my own anvil and use a hand crank blower to get it cooking. I use basic hand tools for everything else. Check out my work - Google Tim Lively knives

Cool stuff man! Post photos. Let's see your setup, I bet a few guys would love to talk to you.

John

Thats pretty Awesome. Have you seen the Nova Special on the making of the +ULFBERH+T Viking sword from crucible steel?

Your forearms and grip strength must be downright impressive.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/secrets-viking-sword.html

I have a significant amount of Scandinavian blood and am considering inlaying similar lettering in my next hollow cedar surfboard currently on my table.

You make some really nice knives Tim. It looks like you had quite a bit of commercial success at the craft and a pretty good following based on google results.
I had a sharpening business for a time and really enjoyed working on knives.
It's nice to see you here hanging out with us living this awesome "cheap rv living" life.
Scott

The smith who forged The ULFBERH Sword is Ric Furrer. He's an awesome smith and a super nice guy.

I've had a hard time getting my knifemaking together working out of my van. I'm still refining my set up almost every time I sit down and work for a few hours. The biggest problem right now is that I'm stuck in the city in our van until my wife finishes up her degree. It's her last term so not much longer. Once I get out on public land everything clicks. As long as I can build a campfire without any hassles, the rest of the shop needs are easily put together. But the more I work in the dirt, the more I realize everything I need is right around me. I've seen some really inspirational youtube videos of African smiths who use rocks for tools. It's all doable but hard work. The pay sucks. It's a lot of fun though if you enjoy working with your hands. We plan on traveling South down into Arizona after my wife graduates so if you see me out there on the road, holler at me. We'll get together and burn some steel.

hello and welcome. I would like a knife that goes with a leather western style pistol belt. I need to talk with you. what area are you in? glad to see you here. would like to see some examples of your work. got a link? highdesertranger

I seldom sell my knives anymore. They are more of just a hobby these days. I use to make them full time but I never really made much money doing it so I just make them for fun and usually trade them to friends. I sell an instructional DVD on Amazon and get a royalty check every month. It's been a big blessing for us for a lot of years. I enjoy teaching so if youre interested in the artform I will be heading for Arizona in about 2 months where I will be boondocking in my Van making knives. I'm not sure where in Arizona exactly yet but I plan on making these forums my online hangout so keep in touch with me here. Tim

I think in 2 months Bob and some of the tribe will be in the N. AZ . summer camp location.
My old brain can't remember the location from last year..........
He'll probably be posting the location when he gets there.

Ive got an old friend in Prescott Valley Im going to look up first thing so we might be close enough to meet up.

We usually camp off by ourselves. The knifemaking thing is really interesting to a lot of people for a few minutes but then they quickly get tired of listening to me beating on steel. :/

I think it's somewhere around Flag.w/ altitude adjustments for temp control

The area around Prescott is perfect for spring and Flagstaff is perfect for summer. Prescott Valley gets too hot for me by May so I move up to Flagstaff to be in the beautiful Ponderosa forest. I think I'll be there till mid -May and you are always welcome in my camp. Around Prescott great cmping is fond on Rout 89 north of Phoenix. After Paulden you climb up into the Prescott NF and you can camp anywhere from there north to I-40. The closer you get to I-40 the better the cell/internet. That's a Juniper forest and in April or May the Cedar gnats come out and they are unbearable!!! At the first bite I break camp and leave.
Bob

Wow, this is great yall. Really appreciate the welcoming attitude. Can't wait to meet everyone in person. Thanks!

nice stuff,can you post some pics of your set up when you get the chance?
have preferences on the metals you use?

I don't have a lot of still photos of my shop set up but we made a trailer to our knifemaking video that I sell on Amazon that shows the tools in action.

What kind of metals? I like the high carbon steel alloys like 1095 and 5160 usually but there's at least a dozen that will work great. During the 1950s and 60's US made cars and light trucks used 5160 almost exclusively for their leaf and coil springs. So if you are around a junk yard or find an abandoned vehicle from that era, the springs are a treasure trove of high carbon steel for knifemaking. I like using stuff that's cheap or free like that. Guards are usually mild steel. I also cast my own alloys into ingots and use that to make ferrules and fittings. My anvil is made from a 4" x 4" bar of mild steel set into a 5 gallon bucket of reenforced  concrete. I make my own charcoal and use it as fuel. It's pretty cheap to get into.