Things to look for when considering a trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuManchu

Reaction score
Hi all, haven't been active on here in awhile since living in a van for 6 months back in 2016.  I'm looking at some land with a trailer on it in NC, would be living in it year-round.  I've done a bit of reading the past few days but really don't know what all I should be looking for as far as red flags, hoping some experienced folk will share their experiences.

It's 8 x 32, not a lot of room but it's just me living there.  It has a metal canopy built over it.  It currently has electricity going to it from an underground line.  It has a well and septic, as the owner has been using it for a summer getaway.

Is living in the trailer during winter do-able, or more trouble than it's worth?  So far I have read about putting skirting around the base of the trailer, heat tape around the water pipe,  and reflectix or foam blocks over the windows along with caulking.  What about condensation forming inside during the winter?

How about electricity concerns if running too many things?  I do a lot of cooking with an Instant Pot; if that's running the same time as a space heater could that cause overload?  There's a microwave and a wall TV, neither of which I will use and will unplug and remove if possible. Anything I should look for as far as electrical issues/wiring and is it customary to hire an electrician to go in and inspect it before commiting to buy?

Is it also customary to take a water sample and have it tested for bacteria, etc. before commiting to buy?

It has 2 doors, one opening into the kitchen/living room area, the other opening into the bedroom, so if doors let in more cold then will the entire bedroom door need to be covered in order to keep the bedroom from being really cold?

An 8x32 sounds like a very old trailer. Many of the old trailers were fire hazards as they used solid core aluminum wiring. I would treat it as if you were buying a house and pay to have everything inspected. Todays inspections can be pretty complete and cost several hundred dollars but are worth it. Infrared cameras, video snakes and drones can make it very clear if there are any problems. Definitely have the well and septic checked and insure everything can be brought up to county codes.