Keeping the cargo trailer warm safely?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overlandsiberia

getting all-metal trailer built
Reaction score
I tend not to use heating much, as I've been full timing I had traveled with the weather, pretty much, but nights always can get cold in the mountains and it's nice to heat the space up in the morning, before the sun hits the roof.

I'm thinking of safe heating options for cargo trailer. Bob Wells from Cheap RV Living (I'm a fan of) recommends Buddy type propane heaters, or even more basic
propane setup with a clay pot that retains heat. For me open propane flames indoors would be emergency-only situation, the fumes are too much (plus humidity it causes),
with open propane flame also got to keep the window or vent cracked open to get enough oxygen, which leads to heat loss. No way I'd even sleep with propane burning inside.

I'm thinking of external diesel heater, which I can carry in cargo space when not in use. The portable kind that are meant to be setup in parking lots.
I want to run a duct from the heater into the trailer (or into truck camper, as I want to have both), into the vent opening I'd cut for the duct.
There's very little info out there on how to set that up. The opening for the duct (in the trailer wall) got to have a connector, and it can't be regular basic laundry type plastic connector as it won't have enough heat resistance, also any tape and duct used got to have high heat rating.

Anyone has experience with small diesel heaters, especially portable ones that run outside, any issues with smell, fumes in the indoor air, any models that had been successfully used?

I don't really see other heating options without extensive installations and I'm in no build scenario, I won't have enough solar power for electrical, plus huge battery pack or station can get pricey.

Don't really see stuff about setting it up outside.

I also wonder specifically if any chemically sensitive people, people with asthma, what are their experiences with diesel heaters. We react to slightest fumes differently than others. My understanding some diesel heaters produce fumes even in the air that goes indoors.

I was thinking of Vevor brand, which at least has a website and US based phone support, unlike many Amazon sold brands (not looking for expensive brands that cost thousands, these would have better quality)

Take your time searching for threads and reading through. That's also the best section to get heating answers.

I tend not to use heating much, as I've been full timing I had traveled with the weather, pretty much, but nights always can get cold in the mountains and it's nice to heat the space up in the morning, before the sun hits the roof.

I'm thinking of safe heating options for cargo trailer. Bob Wells from Cheap RV Living (I'm a fan of) recommends Buddy type propane heaters, or even more basic
propane setup with a clay pot that retains heat. For me open propane flames indoors would be emergency-only situation, the fumes are too much (plus humidity it causes),
with open propane flame also got to keep the window or vent cracked open to get enough oxygen, which leads to heat loss. No way I'd even sleep with propane burning inside.

I'm thinking of external diesel heater, which I can carry in cargo space when not in use. The portable kind that are meant to be setup in parking lots.
I want to run a duct from the heater into the trailer (or into truck camper, as I want to have both), into the vent opening I'd cut for the duct.
There's very little info out there on how to set that up. The opening for the duct (in the trailer wall) got to have a connector, and it can't be regular basic laundry type plastic connector as it won't have enough heat resistance, also any tape and duct used got to have high heat rating.

Anyone has experience with small diesel heaters, especially portable ones that run outside, any issues with smell, fumes in the indoor air, any models that had been successfully used?

I don't really see other heating options without extensive installations and I'm in no build scenario, I won't have enough solar power for electrical, plus huge battery pack or station can get pricey.
There is also a Facebook group dedicated to camping with Chinese Diesel Heaters. I use a 2k unit in my 12' by 16' workshop that works great. Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
There is also a Facebook group dedicated to camping with Chinese Diesel Heaters. I use a 2k unit in my 12' by 16' workshop that works great. Good luck with yours.
By 2K unit do you mean the price or 2000w? I know there're pricey that cost thousands, pretty sure they work great. I heard cheap Amazon chinese diesel units break down a lot or emit fumes that do inside
I'm not big on facebook stuff, they won't even show me the group without me creating an account.
Anyway, I think I will give Vevor a chance when time comes, they got some kind of tech support, though one of their models got a recall earlier because of extra fumes.
I just got to create safe ductwork and connection to run the heater outside, like install metal flange into the wall, get a metal cap for it, extra ducting, not sure what other caveats are there.
Got to protect it from rain when it's running outside, I guess.

Last edited:
Some units are installed inside only.

There are units that can be used outside with the warm air sent through a duct to the inside. To find them you need to use the right keywords along with “Chinese diesel heater”. Try using the word “portable” and also “inside/outside”.

Do these chinese diesel heaters get hot on the outside?
I'm thinking how to protect one from rain.
Had seen one marketed as self-contained unit inside a carrying plastic box it runs from.
Not sure how this does not melt, looks like a regular tool box.
Generator tents don't seem like a good idea, expensive and too much setup/takedown.

Some units are installed inside only.

There are units that can be used outside with the warm air sent through a duct to the inside. To find them you need to use the right keywords along with “Chinese diesel heater”. Try using the word “portable” and also “inside/outside”.
Yes I know about contained outside units that you carry, diesel canister is built in, more keywords are "all-in-one" and "parking heater". But I am not sure they have built in rain protection, the one that truly works in all kinds of rain. I've seen a youtube review of one claiming one needs to do additional rain protection.

I also wonder specifically if any chemically sensitive people, people with asthma, what are their experiences with diesel heaters. We react to slightest fumes differently than others. My understanding some diesel heaters produce fumes even in the air that goes indoors.

I was thinking of Vevor brand, which at least has a website and US based phone support, unlike many Amazon sold brands (not looking for expensive brands that cost thousands, these would have better quality)
OK I'll try to answer what I can..in a diesel heater there is basically 2 air sustems..1 the air for combustion in the sealed chamber which comes from the pipe from the bottom by the exhaust and the fuel and 2 the air intake for the heating element that comes from the large hole in the back of the heater..when you put it all outside you are getting heated air from the outside which would include exhaust from cars, heater, lawnmowers running close by etc etc...to avoid that you would need to run the intake of the cold heater air from inside the vehicle as well as the heated hose sending the hot air....the easiest way is to permanently place it inside the vehicle BUT if you do make sure the bottom gasket is NOT rubber as that will stink forever...for efficiency make sure and insulate the pipes coming and going from the heater otherwise walls etc will get real hot..I just did mine in my new to me van and the 2k air coming out at 215 or more...I used metal 3 inch dryer pipe and 4 inch pink aluminum backed round insulation..it keeps all the walls at max 80 degrees... I've done at least 5 and the only smell I ever got was from the rubber gasket a lot of them include..replace that with good hi heat material and good to go..Haven't totally finished but gives you a idea of it and the heat!

Attachments

• fordvaninstall.mp4
    7.5 MB
OK I'll try to answer what I can..in a diesel heater there is basically 2 air sustems..1 the air for combustion in the sealed chamber which comes from the pipe from the bottom by the exhaust and the fuel and 2 the air intake for the heating element that comes from the large hole in the back of the heater..when you put it all outside you are getting heated air from the outside which would include exhaust from cars, heater, lawnmowers running close by etc etc...to avoid that you would need to run the intake of the cold heater air from inside the vehicle as well as the heated hose sending the hot air....the easiest way is to permanently place it inside the vehicle BUT if you do make sure the bottom gasket is NOT rubber as that will stink forever...for efficiency make sure and insulate the pipes coming and going from the heater otherwise walls etc will get real hot..I just did mine in my new to me van and the 2k air coming out at 215 or more...I used metal 3 inch dryer pipe and 4 inch pink aluminum backed round insulation..it keeps all the walls at max 80 degrees... I've done at least 5 and the only smell I ever got was from the rubber gasket a lot of them include..replace that with good hi heat material and good to go..Haven't totally finished but gives you a idea of it and the heat!
Where I camp there's no one else for miles, so getting dirty air from others is not an issue.

I do not want anything diesel installed inside or any other extensive installation for my no-build setup and it will be for a trailer with no fuel tank, the vehicle itself will be gas very likely, I do not want to deal with diesel tanks or heater or generators inside and will have to store the heater on outside rack, do not want to run lines bringing any diesel inside either.

My comfort inside temperature is 55-58F, so I don't really care how much it heats, just need a bit of warmth once in a while to bring the air out of the 40s. I never camp where it's really cold to begin with but can get a cold night sometimes. Will be doing all-in-one portable outside unit.

As soon as the air that blows from the heater for the inside isn't smelling like fumes I will be fine. All other smells, from rubber gaskets, diesel, will be kept outside.

So my question is about extra rain protection right now do outside portable units really need it done.

Last edited:
It's a good consideration about outside pollutants being brought inside, because even though I camp far away from other people, there been a couple of times when someone had a campfire and the wind brought that smoke to me, don't want that inside.
One can run intake duct to the heater too, from the living quarters, but I think it's getting too involved for my purposes.
I guess I will invest in better battery pack or station and more solar as well to run electric heating pad as a backup heat when outside air can't be brought in.

Do these chinese diesel heaters get hot on the outside?
I'm thinking how to protect one from rain.
Had seen one marketed as self-contained unit inside a carrying plastic box it runs from.
Not sure how this does not melt, looks like a regular tool box.
Generator tents don't seem like a good idea, expensive and too much setup/takedown.
The only external hot spot is the exhaust pipe.

You do not have to buy an expensive generator shelter. Try DIY. It is FUN to design, invent and construct. Best thing ever for your brain is to exercise it.

For instance:
Build a hinged A frame tent shaped structure out of plywood with a strip of vinyl stapled over the hinge to waterproof that join. Make it so that you can stake your shelter down to the ground. It will flatten out for storage.

Or you could use canvas or thick vinyl tarp and PVC pipes to make a take apart tent shelter. A bit of sewing or else installing snaps will be needed.

Last edited:

I have a diesel heater and love it. I bought the LF Bros version which is self-contained with the fuel tank inside the cover. It will run 30 hours on low (5000 Btu/hr) on a single fill (5L). I was going to install it outside and duct the hot air inside. That means I had to duct with a 3" hole and also run a 12V power plug out to it. This would all have to be quick disconnects to keep it from gathering legs when I was out of camp. My RV is a DIY box (6'x7'x12') strapped to a flatbed trailer. I decided to install it inside under the table and run the exhaust outside. Glad I did this to keep it clean and out of weather. It uses 105 watts for 3 minutes running the glow plug up to temperature (5wHr) and then it drops to a continuous 11-13 watts running just the fan. (averaging 12wHrs). Sensitivity? Not an issue, the burnt diesel is not entering the living space, it is blown outside. The concept is you are heating an aluminum block with fins on it and then blowing air over the fins warming the air. The combustion chamber is vented outside. It has 37 heat settings to pick from to try to match your heat loss. Another words, they do not have a thermostat, think of it as a fireplace, you want more heat, increase the fuel rate. High is 15000 Btu. (5.0 pulse rate) I only use low (1.4 pulse rate) By the way, the LFBros has conquered the "clicking" problem of the fuel injector, absolutely cannot hear it on there's.

Here's a You Tube on a portable WIPPRO Diesel Heater from Amazon $139 hope it helps

Last edited:
If you want to make on opening in the side of a van or other RV that has a cover on the exterior for when it is not being used there is a possible solution that looks nice. Do a search for “Garage Door Exhaust Port.” Do not forget to make sure the exhaust tube is temperature safe against any adjacent materials it passes thru. There is fiberglass insulating sleeving that can be purchased in various diameters. It is sold by the foot. Just search for it on Amazon or in Auto parts stores.IMG_1355.jpeg

I think the OP wants to leave the all in one diesel heater outside & just pipe the heat duct inside.
That is what the garage door port is for. A hole into the Van the heat output tube can slide inside through. When not in use the cover can be latched in place on the exterior side of the vehicle.

Of course if you do have a diesel heater installed inside then it could be hooked up to the exhaust tube. You would have to remember to open the cover before starting the heater. So definitely not for the absent minded types or those who do not want to go outside in bad weather. Other styles would be much safer to use for diesel heaters permanently installed inside.

I have a different type of diesel heater than the Chinese ones. On advice from the dealer I created a wind baffle shield so direct, head on, strong winds could not blow the exhaust fumes back inside my travel trailer. Then I also added a bug screen to prevent wasps from building a nest in the exhaust tube. My bug screen is actually a round stainless steel screen made to put in sink drains. It allows plenty of air flow as does the wind baffle. I custom fabricated the wind baffle from sheet aluminum and use a long screw with extra nuts and washers stabilize the lower edge and stand it the right distance off the surface.
IMG_1357.jpeg

Last edited: