Just Planning Now

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiraCamper

Reaction score
My partner and I have made the decision to become Van Dwellers, and we're super excited about it! If anyone has any advice for us, we would appreciate it. We are only in the planning and saving stage at this point. We're saving to buy the van, we have ideas, and plans. I can't wait to get out there! We're very conscious of cost and necessities, we are not concerned with luxury. We would like to know more about where it's illegal to sleep in vehicles, and what to do if cops come knocking. Do we have to have a special type of insurance, license, or anything? Any advice, really, will help! Thank you in advance!

Welcome KiraCamper!

Necessities for two include mostly enough space for two sets of clothing as well as all the other gear. I'd seriously recommend an extended body van if a van is what you want to end up with.

No special drivers' license is needed to drive anything that we use around here. Insurance will largely depend on where your legal residence is.

As to whether you run in to places where you can't sleep in the van legally, that will depend on where you are on the continent. There's no point in discussing the legalities of say, NYC, if you're on the west coast... :)

Have fun reading here! It should keep you occupied for months while you save!

Welcome, we are glad you are here!

At the top of the page there are a series of menu buttons, it will give you a foundation if you take the time to read some of those articles.

An extended van will give you a lot more room! But I would also give a lot of thought to a high-top conversion van, being able to stand most of the way up is a very good thing!!
Bob

Welcome to the CRVL forums KiraCamper! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you as you learn about this lifestyle.

Welcome :)

We have the long maxi van and have found it quite comfy for 2, including a full size bed and galley. We still have 24 sq. ft. of floorspace. Its very doable.

akrvbob said:
Welcome, we are glad you are here!

At the top of the page there are a series of menu buttons, it will give you a foundation if you take the time to read some of those articles.

An extended van will give you a lot more room! But I would also give a lot of thought to a high-top conversion van, being able to stand most of the way up is a very good thing!!
Bob

Thank you so much, Bob! We are absolutely interested in the extended van, thus far I have not found a high-top conversion van within our price range. Which is rather low, lol.

bindi&us said:
Welcome :)

We have the long maxi van and have found it quite comfy for 2, including a full size bed and galley. We still have 24 sq. ft. of floorspace. Its very doable.

Thank you, this is great news!

Almost There said:
Welcome KiraCamper!

Necessities for two include mostly enough space for two sets of clothing as well as all the other gear. I'd seriously recommend an extended body van if a van is what you want to end up with.

No special drivers' license is needed to drive anything that we use around here. Insurance will largely depend on where your legal residence is.

As to whether you run in to places where you can't sleep in the van legally, that will depend on where you are on the continent. There's no point in discussing the legalities of say, NYC, if you're on the west coast... :)

Have fun reading here! It should keep you occupied for months while you save!

Thank you  :)  We are wanting an extended van, and googled our area to see what the laws were and found nothing :dodgy:  I am glad we don't need a special license. Originally I wanted to get a bus, but I was talked out of that. A yellow monstrosity is a bit conspicuous, right? lol

Welcome! If you need space for two, and can't find a fullsize van, you could always go the route of the fullsize SUV(think Ford Expedition/Toyota Sequoia/Chevy Suburban). My parents in-law have an '07 Expedition with 3rd-row seats, and they both can camp in it comfortably for extended times. Those have plenty of space for two, can come in 4x4 if you need/want to go off road, and are reliable. Glad to hear you are jumping into it. Cheers!

Having just moved into a van two and a half weeks ago, I can share my advice. High top if you can find one for sure, I would much prefer that. My budget was rather low so I went with an extended van, 15 passenger.  It has more than enough room for my partner and I.  I almost regret not going for something smaller.  We have very little belongings though so storage isn't a huge issue for us.  Her stuff fits in a civic and mine in a couple big back packs.  If you plan to travel get something with a reliable drive train, if you plan on staying put, you may find something with a nice shell but engine problems to save money.  Good luck finding your way, I hope you enjoy it as much as we are.

Latest posts