Z, Coley and the Piggies 🐹🐨

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z3PO

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Z, and my fiancé and I (Coley) just received our 2021 Ram Promaster 3500 159 Ext yesteryday! It was a long process getting it here due to shipping complications. We purchased in March and it arrived yesterday! We already love it and are eager to get started on our build but know we have a long journey ahead!

We live in the Denver metro area. We dabble in ultra running, and I teach yoga on the side. We love staying active (hiking, biking, climbing) and traveling and would love to live out of our van for at least a year once its built out. We just got engaged about a month ago on a trip to California. We rented a small Ford Transit and traveled up the coast where I surprise proposed at the Avenue of the Giants :) We only lived out of the van for a week, and it was literally just a bed, but we loved it!

One interesting factor that we have kept in mind through the buying process is bringing our guinea pigs. We needed space to give them space as we plan on making it more luxurious than we'd need so that they can stay comfortable. They run 10 degrees hotter than we do so we're really looking for some tips and tricks on insulation and fan vs AC so we can make sure that we can keep it cool. We're also prepared to stay away from hotter climates for that reason, but hoping we can be prepared for any sort of element thrown our way.

Glad to be here, and excited to continue to learn and share what we learn with others along the way!

Z & Coley

Attachments

• IMG_2074.jpeg
    IMG_2074.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 02D2014B-6899-4980-AFA8-CA1DAC99A385.jpeg
    02D2014B-6899-4980-AFA8-CA1DAC99A385.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-7714.jpeg
    IMG-7714.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-2405.jpg
    IMG-2405.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum!

we're really looking for some tips and tricks on insulation and fan vs AC so we can make sure that we can keep it cool. We're also prepared to stay away from hotter climates for that reason,
If you're following mild temps a roof vent with thermostat function works quite well. I put a passive intake on the rear door thusly so air is pulled throughout the van. I might do a bigger intake if I were doing it again; the maxxfan can pull a lot of air.

BTW, the PM has a roof vent mounting pad just behind the cabin. Flat so you don't have to fill ridges.

Have fun and keep us apprised.

Welcome to the forum!

If you're following mild temps a roof vent with thermostat function works quite well. I put a passive intake on the rear door thusly so air is pulled throughout the van. I might do a bigger intake if I were doing it again; the maxxfan can pull a lot of air.

BTW, the PM has a roof vent mounting pad just behind the cabin. Flat so you don't have to fill ridges.

Have fun and keep us apprised.
Appreciate the advice! Biggest worry is that unlike a dog, guinea pigs are fairly contained to the cabin. I've seen a lot of people test ACs and talk about how cool it stays, but not much on fans, but maybe the biggest variable is staying in mid temps. Being near the mountains we definitely have elevation on our side, which then takes us to more issues on reliable internet for work meetings. That might be an easier fix though than the $ needed an AC and its robust power needs.

RED !.......Welcome to the forum.........we've got a long and tall Transit

Aren't the REDWOODS incredible!..............we're old-people but we call the Redwoods our "Honeymoon" spot

We have two cats......Do the Piggies have "play-dates" ?..........

RED !.......Welcome to the forum.........we've got a long and tall Transit

Aren't the REDWOODS incredible!..............we're old-people but we call the Redwoods our "Honeymoon" spot

We have two cats......Do the Piggies have "play-dates" ?..........
Haha! Love the Two cats and the Doug haha!

Cats are usually very intrigued by the guinea pigs for sure! Hard to say if its playing or hunting lol!

Did you two install AC for you and the kitties sake?

No A/C...................We have a screened window separating the rear Garage from the House........and a sliding wooden screen door for the side entrance..............along with a MaxFan and other fans...........MOST times we have a pleasant
breeze or air exchange .....and sometimes it's damn HOT

We're working on 5 years in the van in the WEST..........we also hang a large SunShade from the van that blocks about 90% of the SUN's rays.........makes a tempered buffer outside the van

I missed the edit time.................

Whenever we park .............COVER THE WINDSHIELD..............the sloping glass heats the van very quickly

I use a folded cheap tarp on the outside of the windshield........tucking the tarp in the front doors