Super Newbies looking for help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesizzmor

Reaction score
Hiha

We are a couple around 50, we just recently bought a Class C RV with the intention of driving around the country for at least a year, starting this summer. (If we love it, and can break even with money we may stay out longer) I have never done this, my girlfriend has been camping here and there, but nothing coming close to living on the road.

I realize that asking for blanket advice usually is met with the response, "Well, what do you want to do?"

So, I will outline some broad details and hopefully as time progresses we can get a better handle on how to accomplish our goal.

-Is there any advice, or things, or ideas, that we just HAVE TO KNOW or HAVE? Things for the van, things on the road, etc. Basically any necessary vanlife hacks. What's something you learned along the way you wish you'd learned sooner?

-We are planning on moving around quite a bit. Have done plenty of research on boondocking, places to stay cheap. How to make gas more affordable. Where to dump tanks. But. Any information is always welcome in these areas.

-Things like Solar Panels, health insurance, finding jobs, how to get reliable internet, are all topics in which we really feel overwhelmed and have lots of quetions.

We are super excited, scared like crazy, and dying to get out there.

We are trying to do as much research as possible. So. Any links to websites would gladly be appreciated.

Thanks

-Harry & Carrie

So much depends on what you plan on doing and what your rig already has. Can your rig be charged from the alternator when driving? Do you have a built in generator? How large are your tanks? — stuff like that.

It can be difficult to add stuff like solar to an already built RV. If you are already fitted for solar, or already have solar, then it’s probably just a case of adding panels. But if it’s not, then you have a bit of construction work to do. You could get by with just your alternator (since you are planning on driving a lot) and a generator.

It would help to have a detailed description of what your rig is and what it already has. It’s a bit futile to try to advise without knowing what your existing environment is.

There are many threads here on the topics you are interested in, so might read some of those to get you started.

As for what to have and take, I suggest you do some couple day trips with the bare bones of what you think you need to have, take a pad of paper and pen and make lists of what else you need and want.

Most of us start out with way more than we need, shedding articles as we gain more experience.

Have fun!

Internet on the road will generally not be reliable. Currently most of us use some form of cellular phone (with hotspot) or hotspot devices. To make it more reliable, it’s probably best to have multiple devices which operate on differing networks. There are three main networks in the USA - Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

There are several plans with each of the cellular carriers. You need to check on what types of caps they have, throttling, limits on data usage, etc. Several will say ‘unlimited’, but they start slowing you down at 50Gig a month. Some will still say unlimited, but allow hotspot usage at 2/3 G speeds.

Are you planning on going into Canada or Mexico? If so, then you want some form of international usage plan.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Harry and Carrie! First bit of advice - do not buy anything until you have some trial runs, camping and traveling in your RV. If you buy stuff in advance you'll end up with things that you don't need. Second bit of advice - read over some of the threads in the topics that interest you. If you don't find the answers to your questions, start another thread. You'll get better answers if you start a new thread for each topic and put it under the most fitting heading. Please feel free to ask about anything and everything. The forum members are very knowledgeable and very willing to help!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hiha

We are a couple around 50, we just recently bought a Class C RV with the intention of driving around the country for at least a year, starting this summer. (If we love it, and can break even with money we may stay out longer) I have never done this, my girlfriend has been camping here and there, but nothing coming close to living on the road.

I realize that asking for blanket advice usually is met with the response, "Well, what do you want to do?"

So, I will outline some broad details and hopefully as time progresses we can get a better handle on how to accomplish our goal.

-Is there any advice, or things, or ideas, that we just HAVE TO KNOW or HAVE? Things for the van, things on the road, etc. Basically any necessary vanlife hacks. What's something you learned along the way you wish you'd learned sooner?

-We are planning on moving around quite a bit. Have done plenty of research on boondocking, places to stay cheap. How to make gas more affordable. Where to dump tanks. But. Any information is always welcome in these areas.

-Things like Solar Panels, health insurance, finding jobs, how to get reliable internet, are all topics in which we really feel overwhelmed and have lots of quetions.

We are super excited, scared like crazy, and dying to get out there.

We are trying to do as much research as possible. So. Any links to websites would gladly be appreciated.

Thanks

-Harry & Carrie
Keep some savings put away for the mechanical problems that will crop up sooner or later.

I think there is a new nomad internet that is relatively new.

Might be prudent to tuck away a gps locater on the rv somewhere.

On fuel:
https://gasprices.aaa.com/https://fueleconomy.gov/trip/https://therideshareguy.com/best-gas-apps/Gas Buddy is a good app

Uhm, keep it around sixty. You will start consuming a lot more gas as your speed rises due to increased drag and a number of other things. And its a steep climb, going the extra speed isn't worth it imo.

Before you head out, have your brakes and wheel bearings and stuff checked over. Get fresh coolant, tranny fluid, oil, etc. These are simple things you can do yourself to save money.

Might also be worthwhile to get triple A. And maybe a little medical kit tucked away somewhere too, disinfectant, etc.

So much depends on what you plan on doing and what your rig already has. Can your rig be charged from the alternator when driving? Do you have a built in generator? How large are your tanks? — stuff like that.

It can be difficult to add stuff like solar to an already built RV. If you are already fitted for solar, or already have solar, then it’s probably just a case of adding panels. But if it’s not, then you have a bit of construction work to do. You could get by with just your alternator (since you are planning on driving a lot) and a generator.

It would help to have a detailed description of what your rig is and what it already has. It’s a bit futile to try to advise without knowing what your existing environment is.

We have a 21' Freelander.

It has a generator with very little hours. Our concern with power is since we will be out for over a year it would be nice to have another power source besides something gas powered. We realize that by driving frequently we will be able to charge anything we need. But. While out boondocking we thought it may save us some money to have more power.

It has a generator with very little hours. Our concern with power is since we will be out for over a year it would be nice to have another power source besides something gas powered. We realize that by driving frequently we will be able to charge anything we need. But. While out boondocking we thought it may save us some money to have more power.

Solar is great, but can also be expensive and a bit tedious to set up in an already built chassis. If you’re only planning a one year time out, you might not break even. A lot also depends on your house batteries. You need at least 100 watts solar for each 100 Amp Hours of battery.

Do you know if your rig is already wired for solar?

Do you know if your rig is already wired for solar?
It is not wired for Solar. We are just thinking of having that option couldn't hurt. We haven't spent any length of time with the RV yet, so we aren't really sure how efficient the generator is.

We aren't interested in spending too many days hooked up to power in campgrounds, more so looking to have the freedom to do anything we feel like at the time. Thought that having another power option would also help in that.

The very first thing you need is a comfortable bed to sleep in. Without that, you're simply not gonna enjoy yourself.

Then, as others have suggested, go camping. Start out in your own backyard/driveway if you feel really unsure.

I was an experienced camper when I started. But I had only done tent camping. Van camping is a bit different. So I started with local campgrounds. And after every trip, I asked myself "what is the ONE thing I most wished I had?" Then I thought of the simplest way to meet that need, and took care of it before I went out again.

Now we can all tell you what WE found we most needed - after that bed was taken care of! But the best way for YOU to learn what YOU most need is to go camping.

There are lots of camping videos on youtube. Just start watching them. And just start going camping.

Jacque always gives this best advice for beginners. It truly is the best advice.

You two know yourselves and each other, and we don’t know you at all… so do the short test runs, be conservative in what you add that you only THINK you’ll need. It might very well turn out that you really don’t need all of the bells and whistles that others need.

Think you may need solar but aren’t sure? Set aside a fund or save for it, but don’t buy until you know you need it.

I boondocked a bunch, including nearly the whole first year of covid with no solar, and no refrigeration (used my 4cf 110v fridge as an ice box) and did not die. Only had a bunch of small devices and LED lights on the single 100ah lead acid house battery. I have 200w portable solar suitcase now, and a 200ah battery bank. It runs my fridge and instant pot and some other small occasional use things that I could easily live without, but am glad to have use of.

That’s a lot of words, but I’m really just trying to reinforce Jacque’s advice— go do it, add as needed.

Don’t forget that you aren’t going to the moon for a year! You can buy stuff as needed as you go— no need to have “perfect” on day one of your adventure.

It’s important to recharge your batteries each day, and initially using the genny is probably the best way. I have a Travato with 2 100 Amp Hour AGM batteries and 200 watts solar on the roof and an additional foldable panel that I can plug in. But even with that, I find that I need to use additional power sources to get it up so that my resting voltage is 12.7. What I do is to run my engine for about 20 min. in the morning to get a quick bulk load from the alternator, and then let the solar take over. It seems to work fairly well. My batteries are now 5 years old and still holding a good charge.

If you are not wired for solar, then portable panels might be the way to go, assuming that you still decide to get solar. You can get panels that have a built-in charge controller that you could connect directly to the batteries with alligator clamps. It’s not the easiest way to get solar, but it works.

You’re going to need to occasionally run the generator for using an air-conditioner and microwave. Even if you get solar, you will still have to run the generator on rainy/cloudy days because the batteries must be fully charged each day.

Also - you need to consider your needs. Are you using a cpap? Your fridge is probably a three-way and can run on propane, so that’s not a major night-time draw. Basically before you start spending money on things, make a list of what your power requirements are going to be.

Thanks everybody for all the advice.

We are definitely in the research stage, trying to gather as much information as possible. Coming here was a great idea. We will pester and ask a ton before we go.

Thanks again.

I suggest not spending a dime on solar. Solar panels just bring in the power, it still has to be stored in a battery bank. Let's go down the rabbit hole. Class A and C RVs are usually equipped such that they have a large demand for power. Calculate how much power all the appliances you would use say, from dusk to dawn. That's how big your battery bank would need to be to get you through the night. For example, let's say 600 Ah, allowing for a reserve, you'd need 700 Ah, which would cost about $5000. A 100 W solar panel produces about 30 Ah per day, so you'd need 2000 W of panels to recharge the batteries.

RV manufacturers are eliminating generators from their camper van models, at a rapid pace and note this is lithium battery recharging driven by alternator not solar. This is a much smaller lift because the power demand of those vehicles is much less. There is a reason why all A and Cs come with generator. That is not going to change anytime soon.

Regarding things you need. You can always hit the road and buy stuff as the need arises. There is one exception to this rule that comes to mind. A trucker GPS that is not dependent on an internet signal. This is good to have no matter where you travel, but essential if traveling in the Northeast where there are lots of state highways with low clearances. There are also roads that are uncomfortably narrow, uncomfortably curvy, limited turnaround ability, etc. Google Maps does not take into account vehicle size. I hope you never experience first hand the frustration and embarrassment that results from the commotion caused from having to back up your RV because it is to too tall to clear the underpass.

I also have a Freelander 21QB if you need any help with it let know.

I suggest not spending a dime on solar. Solar panels just bring in the power, it still has to be stored in a battery bank. Let's go down the rabbit hole. Class A and C RVs are usually equipped such that they have a large demand for power. Calculate how much power all the appliances you would use say, from dusk to dawn. That's how big your battery bank would need to be to get you through the night. For example, let's say 600 Ah, allowing for a reserve, you'd need 700 Ah, which would cost about $5000. A 100 W solar panel produces about 30 Ah per day, so you'd need 2000 W of panels to recharge the batteries.

RV manufacturers are eliminating generators from their camper van models, at a rapid pace and note this is lithium battery recharging driven by alternator not solar. This is a much smaller lift because the power demand of those vehicles is much less. There is a reason why all A and Cs come with generator. That is not going to change anytime soon.

Regarding things you need. You can always hit the road and buy stuff as the need arises. There is one exception to this rule that comes to mind. A trucker GPS that is not dependent on an internet signal. This is good to have no matter where you travel, but essential if traveling in the Northeast where there are lots of state highways with low clearances. There are also roads that are uncomfortably narrow, uncomfortably curvy, limited turnaround ability, etc. Google Maps does not take into account vehicle size. I hope you never experience first hand the frustration and embarrassment that results from the commotion caused from having to back up your RV because it is to too tall to clear the underpass.
I disagree a Freelander 21' will handle 4 100 watt panel fine. They provide more than enough power to charge my batteries. I have 3 Battle Born and the Battery Isolation Module. and I can be fully charged at 11:00 most morning. Forgot to mention I use a 40 amp Rover controller as well and a Victron battery shunt. And I changed the convertor out to charge the Lithium batteries.

Attachments

• 0D9C0F4A-18C4-4688-A601-5F979DAE08E0.jpeg
    0D9C0F4A-18C4-4688-A601-5F979DAE08E0.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2FD2F9EE-BF01-4A7B-83EE-EC6F9E30400D.jpeg
    2FD2F9EE-BF01-4A7B-83EE-EC6F9E30400D.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 284DB35E-B88B-4897-80A1-65F9EF9CF7A0.jpeg
    284DB35E-B88B-4897-80A1-65F9EF9CF7A0.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 62817882-3F6B-4B5C-9868-7BE82EB43AAD.jpeg
    62817882-3F6B-4B5C-9868-7BE82EB43AAD.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2
  • E2C516CB-8D6A-47BB-A114-2D72030915DB.jpeg
    E2C516CB-8D6A-47BB-A114-2D72030915DB.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 4
Don't buy anything. Do that as you roll. Sleeping will be number one, Each day will be better when you've both had a good nights sleep. Even sleeping will be uncertain due to a new bed, new sounds and uneasiness. Time will take care of that. You will find a way to feed yourself.
Cooking will start out to be a picnic arrangement and morph into more or less normal life. You will make mistakes. Don't worry about it.
Don't forget, grocery shopping will mean you must take your home to the store. Pack up and move each time. No one likes to pack up and move. Make it count.
The nuts and bolts that you seem to be fretting about (batteries, solar panels etc.) are down the list of things to get ready for. As is, your class c has the basics, the additions will be dictated by personal issues, Likes and dislikes.
One last thing, Your personal space will be cramped compared to Stix and bricks. There will be no lawn to mow and hedges to trim, no runs to the hardware alone or car to wash. You will be underfoot and in the way, Wife will be underfoot and in the way all the time and I do mean all of the time. Make a planned time to leave each other alone. You can sit in the shade with her but you can sit in the shade alone too. Or take a walk together but also alone. Then come together again to share your thoughts and experiences, just like as if you went to work for several hours each day and then share the days gripes and joys.
The mechanics of travel and equipment are only part of being a nomad. Nomad life is a life style, a way of living. It's going to take you many days or even weeks to slow down once you get under way. Don't go buy something cause it's on sale. Make what you already have work.

I recommend solar.... 400 watts of solar provides me with plenty of power each day, for my use.

Last edited:
I disagree a Freelander 21' will handle 4 100 watt panel fine. They provide more than enough power to charge my batteries. I have 3 Battle Born and the Battery Isolation Module. and I can be fully charged at 11:00 most morning. Forgot to mention I use a 40 amp Rover controller as well and a Victron battery shunt. And I changed the convertor out to charge the Lithium batteries.
Solar fits some use cases, but for most RVers, it doesn't move the needle. You're using less than 300Ah a day, that is way less than the typical Class A or C owner. Heck, that's less than I use in my van, and its only powering a DC fridge, microwave, and a few electronic devices. Also, if you're fully charged by 11 am, you're in sunny places. That's great, but again, not typical.

Ultimately, it all comes down to loads. Running a house sized refrigerator? Running the air conditioner(s)? Watching hours of TV on a large screen(s)? My rig has 3 rooftop air conditioners, a 3 door AC only fridge, 4 TVs. We couldn't produce enough using solar if we plastered the entire roof with panels. This use case isn't comparable to lesizzmor, and neither is yours.