Just got fired.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Some of you may know that since December of 2014 I've had remote employment via a tech gig with a small consulting firm. Apparently, I don't anymore.

It's funny. For some time now I've been thinking about my employment. As advantageous as this position may be in facilitating travel with no need to physically be anywhere for work, I find more value in sweating in the sun for ten hours than I do in sitting in front of a computer for eight. I've said this several times to several people in the past weeks. I used to know someone who believed in "manifesting destiny" - e.g., if you want something and say it aloud, it happens. Although I don't believe in such things I have to reflect I said it and it's happened.

I haven't been given any professional reason for termination. Vermont is an at will state and I don't care. I find myself instead looking forward to the next thing. I used to work construction, and I know my old boss would hire me back tomorrow. I'm going to take a few days and think about what I might like to do. Ideally I would end up working for cash on my own terms and I have a few ideas there. I have friends in California now and I can go back there any time. Honestly, I'm not bothered. The more time I spend in this lifestyle the more I enjoy moving on to the next thing, and evidently employment is now among those considerations. Good. I may buy cheaper beer at times, but I have no fear and no regrets.

Everything else goes in the rear view mirror.

When one door closes behind you , another opens in front of you........

that is a good attitude as long as you have your health you have lots of options. You are young, attractive, intelligent, skilled, mobile,,,, the world is your oyster. I would say Good luck, but you already have plenty of that, as an experiment, start saying what you want next out loud. I just said, I am well, I am prosperous....

Employers are cutting costs and employees, more and more all the time. In my opinion. The economy isn't as good as some media portrays it to be.

File for unemployment if you're eligible. Never pass up free money. :)

Nothing like unemployment, in the summer, while you ponder your options and look for other work.

bummer, but it sounds like it's kinda what you wanted, you do have a great attitude about it. good luck. highdesertranger

If you can swing a hammer, California is begging for carpenters to rebuild after the fires.

I wish somebody would fire me.  Then I could do a little traveling and see some of this beautiful country.  

Truth is, I'm in an industry where I could quit my job, travel for a while, and be secure in the fact that I'd get hired again when I returned.
I'm just too chicken to try it.  :p  It's hard to walk away from a job as easy as mine that pays so well.  :-/

TMG51...  If it were me getting fired, and I could afford to (I could), I'd take some time off and have a little fun being free.  :)

Congratulations ;)
Hopefully you can collect unemployment and really enjoy your time at the crossroads.

Strangely, my (former) boss has been sending me text messages requesting a meeting to talk, and implying he would like to continue doing business. After some deliberation I found I simply couldn't care to hear any of the noises that come out of his face.

I took a construction job at $16.50/hr with unlimited overtime. I'm going to work 50-60 hours/week for the summer, pay off my debt, and disappear to the southwest.

The last framing I did was with a nail gun.  The hammer was for aligning things.   :D