Just bought my first van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbx7

Reaction score
I'm very new here but I've been reading for the last month or so. I just bought a 96 Chevy G10 Conversion Van that was done by Coachman. I believe I got a good deal on it ($5,000). It has 104,000 miles and a clean carfax report with all maint. records.

I found out about 2 years ago that I've got a rare eye disease (RP) and I am going to go blind. Since that time I moved to Colorado because of the beautiful mountains and my plan is to make 2-3 day trips and see whatever I can while I can.

My van doesn't have any way to plug into a camping spot for electricity. What kind of system will I need for that and how much can I expect to spend? It only has one battery now. I think, from what I've read, that a couple of marine batteries would be good but I really don't know.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Chris

Attachments

• 00v0v_h7FymaD24Z7_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_h7FymaD24Z7_600x450.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 00P0P_6elffB3UBiQ_600x450.jpg
    00P0P_6elffB3UBiQ_600x450.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 00404_klKeGumD2OB_600x450.jpg
    00404_klKeGumD2OB_600x450.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 00000_jQtftStFlG6_600x450.jpg
    00000_jQtftStFlG6_600x450.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 00G0G_lJuQehXzpit_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_lJuQehXzpit_600x450.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 28
cheap easy way is to drill a hole in the floor with a rubber grommet

Welcome to the Forums and.... nice van!

I wish you all the best in your eye health situation. :)

Great move colorado is magnificent in many ways. If you have some bucks avoid 110 hard landline install , just get a really really good extension cable and a really really good all weather junction box. A really really good battery charger and some batteries. We get thrown some devastating curve balls in life it sounds like your batting 100..RIGHT ON

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Chris! You probably don't need any *house* electrical system at all. Many live in their vans without. Like a previous poster said an extension cord, if your planning on camping in parks, will work. If you're thinking more of dry-camping/boondocking there are so many solar charged gadgets mad now thatcan take care of basic needs. I'd take it slow and see what you need with a few experimental trips.

On the other hand, what will you need to power for? that can give the in-house experts an idea of what you'll need.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Chris. Welcome!

I know a little something about life's curve balls. It's nice to hear from others who are making the best of a difficult situation. I would love to hear about your adventures.

Enjoy the van! I hope it brings you many miles of unforgettable scenery.

GypsyChic

I use a good 15 Amp power strip with a 20' cord. Then the through the floor plan. It's long enough for most campgrounds. I have another Heavy Duty 25' just in case. It runs my AC or heat, fans lights. kettle and chargers without issues. Super simple with built in breaker. Don't forget the little 30A. Adapter socket.

so you can hook reg extension cord into campground ? got a link to adapterfor that? i was wondering about this...a campground near me didnt have any reg plugs on the pole

Lots of places have reg. 110 but some only have 30A When you need it you need it now.

Latest posts