Just a quick introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleyguy

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum, though I've posted a few things over the last few days. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I have been watching Bob's videos for a couple of years, and like many here I'm sure, they really struck a chord with me. Based on that inspiration, I bought an RV in late 2018. Specifically a used fifth wheel, a 2000 Spacecraft Residential. It's about 20 years old, but it's extremely well built. Small volume manufacturer, steel skeleton covered with molded fiberglass (including the roof).. It's definitely travel worthy.

I'm currently a part time nomad. In 2019 I was out for about 3 months. I own a smallish house in Wyoming that I plan to keep as a home base. My goal is about half time in my RV and half time at home base.

I work full time over the internet. I'm probably about 5-10 years from "traditional early retirement", if the words traditional and early can be used together. I've pondered quitting and selling everything, but I'd probably end up with a job I like less, so my current plan is to stay the course until I retire or get laid off.

My goals/reasons for being here are:

1. To help out. I could be described as a "mega techie", and sometimes people appreciate that type of knowledge. Also, when I have time, I may volunteer with HOWA or possibly donate.

2. To learn about boondocking, and actually start doing it. To date, I've mostly done RV parks. I've read and watched videos about boondocking, but part of me still hasn't really clicked with trying it. Getting over that hump may require meeting up with a caravan or finding a tribe.

3. As implied in #2, to meet some other nomads that I click with and travel with them

That's about it for now. Since I've been posting here, I thought I'd give some context.

Cheers,

Harley.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

I like the idea of a 5th wheel and a Pickup for the versatility of having a vehicle for toruring travel once unhitched from the
RV.  I'm working with a 90 Ford F 350 high top Econoline Van and have put a lot of thought into converting a utility trailer to have the kinds of resources I would have at home. (see top link below)   Where the RV would have everything contained,  the Van would have the bed, kitchenette, food storage onboard with the Utility trailer containing the hot water heater, shower, laundry center, toilet, storage, batteries/generator, and propane tanks within it. 

I would leave the utility trailer in a camp ground and tour in the Van for a day or two before returning to the trailer.  But I think the two component rig has much to offer any nomad.

That sounds like a cool project. Having a lot of the systems in the trailer would free up a lot of space in the van, and would give you the benefit of leaving the trailer set up at camp. You could still have the sleeping space in the van if you wanted to.

I agree about the benefits of the "two piece rig". I like being able to set up camp and then drive my truck to get groceries or go exploring. The benefits of a Class A or C with a toad are similar, but I also like the idea of only have one engine, and also the ability to have the truck being newer than the trailer, or repaired or replaced separately if needed.

I'm going to keep what I have as long as possible, but I've pondered that maybe my "second rig" will be a gooseneck cargo trailer that I build out myself. Much like a fifth wheel, a gooseneck is towed over the rear axle, and a 30 foot aluminum enclosed gooseneck can be had for a very reasonable price, especially if you watch for a used one.

Thanks for the welcome,

Harley.

Hello Harlan Welcome - I too am relatively new to forum but used to do the yahoo and google vandwellers thing (as nature nut) I just joined here at the end of last year but have e-met some nice e-people. Many here know much more than me but I never hesitate to add my two cents - maybe that's why some say I have no sense. I am located in South Central PA but will soon be based in HARLAN County KY. Nice name Like colonel Harlan Sanders.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! Glad you decided to join us! Boondocking can be intimidating at first but once you've done it a few times you probably won't want to go back to RV parks. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

nature lover said:
Hello Harlan    Welcome - I too am relatively new to forum but used to do the yahoo and google vandwellers thing (as nature nut)  I just joined here at the end of last year but have e-met some nice e-people.  Many here know much more than me but I never hesitate to add my two cents - maybe that's why some say I have no sense.  I am located in South Central PA but will soon be based in HARLAN County KY.  Nice name Like colonel Harlan Sanders.

My name is actually Harley rather than Harlan, though I know that one is often a nickname for the other. Harlan county sounds beautiful though. I've only been to Kentucky once, on the way south to Nashville, but from what I've seen it's a very beautiful state. Hoping to make it back there sometime.

I must be ready for bed I know I saw Harley but thought Harlan????? Sorry, Harvey?

sounds like a room trailer to travel in. But just a side note on your description of how your trailer is constructed. You said the walls are "molded" fiberglass. That is not accurate, your travel trailer does not have molded fiberglass walls.

Instead it has "laminated" fiberglass walls.
Laminated walls, supported by a 11⁄2-inch aluminum framework, are comprised of gel-coated fiberglass with a 5⁄32-inch luan backer on the outside and paneling on the inside

A molded fiberglass trailer means it was constructed within an actual mold that determined the shape of the trailer. First a release agent would have been sprayed into the mold, then a layer of gel coat then using an air powered "gun" resin mixed with chopped strands of fiberglass would have been sprayed into the mold.

Yours is a "stick" framed trailer with fiberglass laminated panels as the exterior cladding applied over the framing. I am sure it is a very fine trailer, it is just that there is a difference in construction methods of molded and laminated walls and you do not have molded fiberglass walls, you have laminated fiberglass walls.

Are these specs posted somewhere online?? I can't find a link for the older 2000ish Spacecraft Models--The newer ones look really nice! T

maki2 said:
sounds like a room trailer to travel in.  But just a side note on your description of how your trailer is constructed. You said the walls are "molded" fiberglass. That is not accurate, your travel trailer does not have molded fiberglass walls.

Instead it has "laminated" fiberglass walls.
Laminated walls, supported by a 11⁄2-inch aluminum framework, are comprised of gel-coated fiberglass with a 5⁄32-inch luan backer on the outside and paneling on the inside

A molded fiberglass trailer means it was constructed within an actual mold that determined the shape of the trailer. First a release agent would have been sprayed into the mold, then a layer of gel coat then using an air powered "gun" resin mixed with chopped strands of fiberglass would have been sprayed into the mold. 

Yours is a "stick" framed trailer with fiberglass laminated panels as the exterior cladding applied over the framing.  I am sure it is a very fine trailer, it is just that there is a difference in construction methods of molded and laminated walls and you do not have molded fiberglass walls, you have laminated fiberglass walls.

I believe you're correct on the left and right walls. The spacecraft website does say though:

Molded fiberglass ceiling and roof

Which I think was also true when mine was built. I believe it's also molded fiberglass for the front nose as well as the rear bumper. If you look inside the the front hatch, it's got the look of the inside of molded fiberglass.

But yes, the left and right walls are likely laminated using a pinch roller type construction, and then hung over the aluminum or steel frame. (The current website lists aluminum, but the visible structure in the basement is black powder coated, and magnets stick to it, so I'm guessing it''s steel.)

My supposition based on their current website and what I've seen by looking at it.

Cheers,

Harley.

trailer-t said:
Are these specs posted somewhere online??  I can't find a link for the older 2000ish Spacecraft Models--The newer ones look really nice!  T

I haven't seen any old specs online, though there are some reviews by magazines from the 2005 range I think.

I do have a paper spec sheet and brochure in the 3-ring binder that all of my manuals are in. (I'm not there at the moment.)

Hey Barley, My Post was directed for the poster above with all the purported info on the specific construction/frame specs on a 2000 era vintage camper. I can't find a link where that came from online---maybe they own/owned one . Claimed to be 1 1/2" aluminum frame. T

Hi. I'm replying to my intro thread to express some things. Truth is I'm worried. I'm worried about two things:

- The corporation I work for had widespread layoffs today. I was not on the list, but two of my closest team members were. I'm currently a little bit upset about it, and my morale and perceived job security are bad right now.

- The elections. I feel like the incoming federal government may make decisions in favor of lockdowns.

Because of the two things above, I am seriously considering going on the road in January. I want to be ready for any financial hardship, and also don't want to end up locked in my house. So I figure becoming a nomad may be the right choice. I've been a part timer the last two years, about 3 months in 2019 and a little less so far this year. As noted at the beginning of this thread, I have a fifth wheel and a truck to tow it with.

What I'm pondering is the "how?".

I'd really love to be part of a tribe. I wish the caravans were running again, or I knew how else to find a group.

I'm also considering my traveling style. I'd like to do something that works for a 30-foot fifth wheel. I don't think I'd personally be happy in something smaller. I've considered BLM land. I've also been pondering cheap long term options like LTVA or Caballo Loco Ranch. Another consideration would be Thousand Trails. I could buy a used platinum membership and stay 21 days in any particular Thousand Trails. They have seven of them in Texas.

So anyhow, just throwing out some thoughts. Any advice or commiseration welcome.

Cheers,

Harley.

Head to Quartzsite, AZ. There are 4 LTVA areas lined up along hwy 95, running south out of Quartzsite, 2 on each side of the road. Lots of land to park on. If you decide you aren't ready to boondock there are cheap (for a destination area in winter) rv parks in town. There are several folks from here headed that way. It is a small town and easy to meet up with people.

Oh if you want to be alone in Quartzsite you’ll probably have to work at it. Pretty friendly bunch there.

A pension is a wonderful thing but it really comes down to how long till you qualify and will you be employed until you do. Your age makes a difference as it is not only lifespan but health and things like health insurance. I spent several years in a tough situation to insure I got mine and it really makes a difference for me. I hit the road and after a couple years I found a job I really enjoyed which I have stayed at 15 years. I could try to do another 5 years and retire but why would I now that I have all I need to continue to travel or do projects I started years ago. There is just too many new good things to do and see to work taking care of someone else’s problems. I have many times thought how much happier I would have been if I had started this lifestyle much earlier.

That's good advice. I'm not technically working towards a pension, but rather just a retirement account. I've done a full retirement plan, and can retire in 2027 while keeping my current spending. If I reduce my spending to "super frugal", I can retire closer to 2025.

Also, my job is 100% remote, so I can do it on the road, assuming I can get good internet connections.

If I get laid off though, which is feeling increasingly likely, I don't know if I want another job right away. I would be totally fine with having a year off, or five. That delays my full retirement and probably means I'll need to work again until I'm older, but having a long break would be really good for my mental health.