Jamie/Enigmatic Nomadic's *Build Out Your Van Party"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I will get busy with my van so it is ready for the trip. Are we going to be in Ca. or Az?

I've started my southward migration, and may hit Lake Havasu about then. No major projects planned, but I have tools to loan and advice to be ignored.

I am planning on going and want to camp out of my car for a few days I will offer labor and hope to assist in a few projects

I have some questions

Can I set up a camp stove?
Can I find a little corner of the camping building area where it won't be noisy for sleep?
I could use some more ideas on how to shower and poop? Someone mentioned a river for bathing
Will it be excessively hot or cold?
Are there any cheap campsites on the way coming from Northern California ?

Thanks

I'm sure the exact location will be posted when the time comes, but it's a safe bet it'll be held somewhere on an empty patch of sand. That means you can cook where you want and sleep where you want and you'll likewise be on your own for a place to poo.

Nearby Lake Havasu City will have any stores/campgrounds etc if you desire to utilize those.

You might be better off getting a pump up sprayer from a home center, splice on a kitchen sink spray wand, paint it black fill it with water and put it in the sun. Shower before sundown or the water will get cold. You can shower in the open if you wear a bathing suit. See if a friend has a tent, pad, and sleeping bag you can borrow. 

On the bathroom, bring a small shovel, toilet paper, and some hiking shoes. Go for a walk with paper and shovel, dig a hole, drop your drawers and squat above the hole. Nothing quite like having a cool breeze blow up your butt. The other option which may be better is poop in a garbage bag. Walmart sells folding toilet seats in the camping department. The bathroom would be the tent.

Been meaning to post this for a couple of days, but got distracted.

Danny's good advice notwithstanding, it would seem to me that an event specifically to build out vans, which would include or focus on newbies, would take into account that a van needing build out may not be fully functional. That means that remote boondocking would be out of reach for some intended participants. And that would mean a location closer to town would make more sense.

I'm sure that Jamie and others have considered that limitation.

Vagabound

It would seem to make sense for those that haven't been in the area before or haven't boondocked ever before.

To have the freedom from scrutiny that a bunch of nomads all working together to build out their living quarters requires an area somewhere further out from prying eyes.

To be far enough out means that you forgo being close to facilities that one can run to on a multi trip daily basis.

While BLM land sometimes starts right at the edge of the highway, the stuff closest to town is the least desirable for many reasons. Most of it has been 'rode hard and put away wet'!... :rolleyes:

Besides, boondocking is boondocking...it means NO facilities. Bring your own! Doesn't matter if it's a 1/2 mile from town or 5 miles.

It's a toss up - too close to town is going to attract attention, too far out from town makes it harder to get supplies.

I'm sure Jamie has taken a lot in to consideration.

I would like to come and get help with installing solar and probably changing the charge system in my old Bounder. Hip and back sort of keep me from helping much, BUT I could contribute cash for the help and maybe help another member if a bit short of cash. Would that be considered contributing?

I can go to a solar place if someone thinks I would be taking advantage of help offered.

Rob

Gunny, I've had a number of projects completed on my moho at various gatherings and no money crossed hands. When offered it was refused. I have some mobility issues also. I was never asked or assumed but I've traded work for pizza, beer, indian tacos, breakfast, stew and spaghetti and meatballs. Oh and coffee! When I was in the moho the coffee was always on.

You could be the guy that makes materials runs, Dump runs, rides to town. Believe me, you'll find ways to contribute.

There will be people that will appreciate donations for their expertise. But, it's not an expectation

Coffee I always have lots of. Sounds like a good bunch of people.

gunny was a marine gunnery Sargent in Vietnam and i am thinkin folks would be honored to give him a hand
plus he has that southern draw the ladies like

Gary, I read the last line as I took a sip of coffee, had to dry my keyboard.. Thanks, I needed that. Rob

Jamie just posted on fb
"Anybody coming to Havasu early? Check in with the hosts at Craggy Wash just north of the muni airport. you'll be a couple miles from the event spot. Video with details and co ordinates coming soon. This is happening!"

Latest posts