It's the Desert........HYDRATE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder...……….it's dry out here...…..Hydrate people...………..drink lots of water !!!!!

We just had a Nomad fall and seriously hurt herself...………...she had been alone and sick ...............and became dehydrated

BE CAREFUL out there...…Stay Healthy.…...watch out for your neighbors...…...reach out if you need help...…….. You are Family

Thank you Abnorm for that kind and helpful advice.

OK, sure, we all know that it's more of a problem in August than it is in January, but hydration is one of the important things that can keep you in one piece at the RTR, and if ever there was an easy place to take a header into a rock, Scaddan Wash is it.

Here's a fun tip for you geezers out there who own a cane but don't usually bring it along 'cuz you don't want anybody to think you're a geezer? (You know who you are :) ) Grab on to that little helper and take it along when you go for that stroll over to the other campsite. You'll be glad you did.

Happy RTR!

Johnny

Thank you guys for the sound advice. When my father turned into a geezer, he bought himself a dandy pair of hiking poles. That way, he could have something to hang onto and look cool at the same time. Well, he went the way of all humans, but I kept his hiking poles, and now I'm a geezer too...with poles. Highly recommended. Pass the water.

The Dire Wolfess

But the humidity is a lot lower than most places. It is imperative you drink plenty of water (I almost left it a drink plenty).

Speaking of dehydration. I feel thirsty, more than usual, and I drink a gallon of water a day usually. The only change I've made is I started taking Linsinopril for "situational hypertension" (?) But I'm so thirsty. I've given up salt almost completely and eat healthily. I told my doctor and he said it was nothing to be concerned about...? He also told me not to eat bananas so much because of the potassium content. I thought Potassium was a good thing.  :huh:

I wonder if the thirstiness is a side effect of the medication. Some meds have really strange and irritating side effects which your doctor will (correctly) tell you not to worry about, but you're the one who has to put up with them all day.

Glad to hear you're able to stay on top of it by drinking water -- good thing you don't like beer :)

Johnny

Potassium is good if you're taking a diuretic but not for certain other types of blood pressure meds.

For dry mouth due to med side effects, I like the sugar free Ricola cough drops. Still need to keep hydrating, of course.....

The Dire Wolfess

How to know if you're drinking sufficient water? The color of your pee! If it has a distinct yellow color, you need to drink more. The closer to clear your pee is, the more hydrated you are. (This does not apply to diabetics or those with kidney disease.)

The Dire Wolfess

High altitudes can deplete your fluids quickly as well. I've gotten in the habit of always re-filling a water bottle for whatever excursion I will be taking, and I no longer hike without an adjustable (spring loaded) hiking pole. When you are out of breath, or climbing up, or down steep rocky paths, it is a life saver, and can be leaned on when stopped.

Thanks. I read up on Linsinopril. It contains a diuretic, as well. I've always had low BP until now so taking medication is new to me. I don't like the side effects- especially the lethargy but my new PCP doesn't seem to think women my age need energy... 

I'm not taking this lying down for long. It's been a gully-washer past few days and too wet to hike but tomorrow is looking better. I'm going to get back out there ASAP.

Good thing I don't like beer... :D And better that I really like water.

Moxadox said:
...The closer to clear your pee is, the more hydrated you are...

Because all that extra water is just passing through instead of hydrating.   :D

A funny thing happened to me: my blood pressure went berserk and I had to take not one, but three different pills to keep it from being 170/110. Then I went on the road. After 3 years on the road, the BP dropped to where I could ditch one of the meds. Then another. Now I'm down to only taking it when I get 2 abnormal readings in a day, which is happening less and less often.

My conclusion: the road is good for me! And I hope it settles your BP down too. You've been through a lot.

The Dire Wolfess

MrNoodly said:
Because all that extra water is just passing through instead of hydrating.   :D
Because you're already hydrated, your kidneys don't have lots of solute to excrete.

The Dire Wolfess