It's Now or Never, So We're Doing It

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandelion_Puff

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I've actually lurked these forums on and off for over a year, enjoying reading and daydreaming about the possibility of someday living the full-time RV lifestyle. I'm now rather abruptly in a situation where I both need to find new housing and have some money. I know if we get an apartment, the money we've saved and future income is going to disappear down that hateful housing abyss. I'm so completely done with the cycle of working more and more just to keep what you have (because rents and bills only go up while it seems like wages never do) and most especially of being at the mercy of landlords and property managers who know they have you cornered. So, along with my husband and sister, I’ve decided to buy a travel trailer.

All three of us have been staying with my parents (hence the actual savings) and have a lot of grace with leaving, so my intention is to put the travel trailer in a local year-round campground which rents sites monthly at a reasonable price. We can then transition into living in it full-time over a couple of months.

My husband has a decent job here, so we intend to stay in commuting distance for now. Luckily there are lots of beautiful campgrounds within that radius. My sister and possibly myself are hoping to pick up work at the campgrounds against the lot rent (I have another job but it’s working on computers from home—luckily in a capacity that doesn’t require reliable high-speed internet). From there we intend to get a second RV, something between a full sized van and small Class C RV, for greatly expanded space and privacy and also for the ability to freely take lots of shorter trips and explore. After that I feel like the world is basically wide-open. My husband does warehouse work, so we’ll always be able to set up the home-base trailer somewhere he can get work when needed, and then just slowly move around North America exploring. We’re still pretty young, after all (late 20s to mid-30s). We should have plenty of time to “see it all”.

I should probably add that we’ve thought about the difficulties of the lifestyle pretty carefully, and also that we have backgrounds/skills generally well-suited to it. We’ve all had to deal with some very substandard living conditions in “sticks and bricks” places in the past, so we’re used to dealing with lousy indoor temperatures (in both directions) and cooking without full appliances and such. All three of us are already living together in very little space without issue—in fact, once the second van/RV was obtained, we’d have MORE space and privacy than we’ve had for the last four months, and none of us are bothered by that aspect of our current life. Well, I guess three people living in a larger travel trailer isn’t going to be shocking to THIS group, the way it is to most everyone else. I don’t feel we’re remotely minimalist. In fact, I fully intend to rent a large storage unit once my parents can’t keep storing our stuff so that I don’t have to get rid of anything, lol.

Anyway, I have some very specific questions about buying the trailer and getting it set up, but will post all that over in the proper section, since I’ve already demonstrated that I also write novels in my spare time with this post’s length.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, D_P! It sounds like you've got a good plan already in the works. You've come to the right place to get answers to your questions.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum.

Camping trailers are set up for how many they can sleep. Mine could sleep 7 but there is no way it could hold 7 peoples gear for more than a few days. Hold enough for two on a extended trip it can do better and I'll be cramming forever for one in there here soon. Comfort should be a lot better in a park with hook ups, at least you won't have to make a limited number of gallons of water last you weeks.

My advice, slowly work on downsizing and getting rid of as much as possible so you don't have to worry about storage. It's another stress reliever you can get rid of over time. Welcome to the Team!

One trick I have been using is to not try and decide what to keep first, it's overwhelming. Instead I am pulling out what I know I don't want to keep and that leaves a lot less to decide on.

Sorry about the smaller font in my OP and the multi-quotes being a little weird. The forum is behaving a bit wonky on this browser.

Wagoneer -- We're in central Pennsylvania, outside Harrisburg. I was excited to see a lot of other posts from easterners around, as we intend to remain in the east for the foreseeable future.

jimindenver said:
Welcome to the forum.

Camping trailers are set up for how many they can sleep. Mine could sleep 7 but there is no way it could hold 7 peoples gear for more than a few days. Hold enough for two on a extended trip it can do better and I'll be cramming forever for one in there here soon.  Comfort should be a lot better in a park with hook ups, at least you won't have to make a limited number of gallons of water last you weeks.
Yeah. I'm mostly looking at largish 5th wheels, since I'm not restricted by a vehicle's towing capacity (I'm just going to pay one of the numerous travel trailer moving services to move it around for me, since I intend to have it sit 3-6+ months at each place). A lot of them seem to have already been set up with the idea of fewer people on longer trips, thankfully. I definitely don't intend for it to ever not be hooked into full hook-ups, since I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible. It won't be very adventurous, but that's what the second small RV/van will be for.

mdoverl said:
My advice, slowly work on downsizing and getting rid of as much as possible so you don't have to worry about storage. It's another stress reliever you can get rid of over time. Welcome to the Team!
That's probably what will end up happening, especially as we drift further from where we're starting out (no way I'm paying to have the storage unit crap moved to another storage unit). Since we'll also have the second RV/van plus my gigantic, impractical classic Cadillac to store stuff in, I'm sure we'll really have all the space we need and then some. Not that crap won't spread to fill every available space, of course. It always does that.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!