Is my vehicle smog-free enough for California?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
I got an FJ Cruiser and was wondering, since it's basically like a giant truck almost, can I legally drive it in California with the smog-emissions laws and whatnot? If not, what would it take to make it street-legal in Cali?

That depends on whether you're visiting California in a vehicle that's registered in another state or if you're trying to register your FJ Cruiser with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you're just visiting California and your vehicle is registered in another state, you're fine as is with your out of state registration.

If you live in California and need to register a vehicle from another state, then it needs to pass a smog inspection and emissions test before you can register the vehicle. You have 20 days from the date you first bring the vehicle into California to get it smogged and registered.

That depends on whether you're visiting California in a vehicle that's registered in another state or if you're trying to register your FJ Cruiser with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

If you're just visiting California and your vehicle is registered in another state, you're fine as is with your out of state registration.

If you live in California and need to register a vehicle from another state, then it needs to pass a smog inspection and emissions test before you can register the vehicle. You have 20 days from the date you first bring the vehicle into California to get it smogged and registered.
What constitutes as, "living" in California? How is anyone going to know? What happens if I don't get it done in 20 days? Will my vehicle get impounded or will I get driven out of town? If I work in SoCal during the week and stay in Baja on the weekends, does that count as, "living", in California?

I'm not trying to be a funny smartass I'm literally just rattling off everything I can think of that might be an issue, though I think I already know the answer to all of these or can look them up.

If I can get my 1986 astrovan to pass smog every 2 years you shouldnt have any problems with your modern fj cruiser. I see alot of fj cruisers here in southern california.
Change the plugs, air filter and put a bottle of techron in your gas tank that should work, worst case you might need a california rated catalytic converter, I bought one on amazon for my van for 120, and had a muffler shop put it in for 50 dollars.
The only problem I have is alot of shops don't want to deal with an older vehicule and charge extra to remove the doghouse on the van., but newer vehicules is not a problem.
I don't think the smog will be a big deal for your modern vehicule unless is spewing smoke out of the tailpipe.

Hey me again,

Been in California for to many years dealing with vehicles and smog. They would want you to register your vehicle (like Stephson mentions) if you are living in California. As far as getting away with living 5 days in Calif and 2 days in Baja, it probably might work if you could prove residency in Baja. If you couldn't I don't think it would fly. A coworker had a vehicle registered in Oregon. The cop told him that he has seen his vehicle in the city time and time again and cited him since he was not getting it registered in Ca..

As far as smogging, if your vehicle is brought into Ca. from another state and you wanted to register your vehicle in Ca., they would make you pay a fee to bring in a NON-50 state vehicle permanently. I think after the fee is paid, you are OK even though it "may" not pass California smog requirements. I would check the dmv.ca.gov website for the rules as they may have changed. Not sure how high the fee is but the site might tell you. I will also check and see what I can find.

Hey me again,

Been in California for to many years dealing with vehicles and smog. They would want you to register your vehicle (like Stephson mentions) if you are living in California. As far as getting away with living 5 days in Calif and 2 days in Baja, it probably might work if you could prove residency in Baja. If you couldn't I don't think it would fly. A coworker had a vehicle registered in Oregon. The cop told him that he has seen his vehicle in the city time and time again and cited him since he was not getting it registered in Ca..

As far as smogging, if your vehicle is brought into Ca. from another state and you wanted to register your vehicle in Ca., they would make you pay a fee to bring in a NON-50 state vehicle permanently. I think after the fee is paid, you are OK even though it "may" not pass California smog requirements. I would check the dmv.ca.gov website for the rules as they may have changed. Not sure how high the fee is but the site might tell you. I will also check and see what I can find.
Well now that begs the question, does getting my vehicle registered there make me an official California resident?

I've heard horror stories about how the Californian government plan on putting a special tax on its residence even after they move to another state.

I got an FJ Cruiser and was wondering, since it's basically like a giant truck almost, can I legally drive it in California with the smog-emissions laws and whatnot? If not, what would it take to make it street-legal in Cali?
Its fine for CA.

If you are looking to live there, my advice is don't do it....

Last edited:
What constitutes as, "living" in California? How is anyone going to know?
First, your employer will be filing tax documents with the state unless you are being paid 'under the table'; and that opens up a number of other legal exposures.

Second, most states now have numerous license plate readers. All the sheriff cruisers where I am have them. How long that data is kept and what they use if for is unknown.

Third, your cell phone is constantly tracking your whereabouts.

If your going to be living in the area (have an address in the area) might as well register it here, most car insurance company's will want you to have the car registered here if that is your domain. Myself I don't know of any good or bad reasons to register or not register in california and been here for over 30 years.
If you have alot of money or are going to open up a business maybe california not a place to live, otherwise its just another state. Only bad thing is high gas prices 4.70 gallon in san diego.
If you get pulled over for some infraction is the only time they well check on your registration.
There are 2 types of smog. The regular one is for cars that pass all the time (new cars) , if your car has one failed smog they label it as a "gross polluter", my van has been label a gross polluter since I bought it 10 years ago. Gross polluters you can only smog them at special "star" smog shops. Star smog shops are everywhere. Even if you fixed whatever was causing the car to fail the smog, it will forever be labeled a gross polluter even if it passes all future smogs.

If your going to be living in the area (have an address in the area) might as well register it here, most car insurance company's will want you to have the car registered here if that is your domain. Myself I don't know of any good or bad reasons to register or not register in california and been here for over 30 years.
If you have alot of money or are going to open up a business maybe california not a place to live, otherwise its just another state. Only bad thing is high gas prices 4.70 gallon in san diego.
If you get pulled over for some infraction is the only time they well check on your registration.
There are 2 types of smog. The regular one is for cars that pass all the time (new cars) , if your car has one failed smog they label it as a "gross polluter", my van has been label a gross polluter since I bought it 10 years ago. Gross polluters you can only smog them at special "star" smog shops. Star smog shops are everywhere. Even if you fixed whatever was causing the car to fail the smog, it will forever be labeled a gross polluter even if it passes all future smogs.
They use that word?! "Gross polluter"?! AND YOUR POOR INNOCENT vehicle GETS LABELED THAT FOR LIFE?! That's bogus, dude.
Why anyone would want to move to or establish residency in CA is beyond me. I lived there for five years and will never go back.

Just to be closer to Baja. And I may not even do that. I loved it there but it's only one place.

My 2010 Jeep failed the smog test.
I repaired it. Broken vapor return fitting on the gas tank.
Took it back and it passed fine.
Wasn't labeled a gross polluter.
Don't have to go to a star station.

Lived in CA for 15 years and owned a lot of cars, as well as worked at a free weekly car paper.
You don't have to worry about smog test unless you need to register your car in CA.
If your current out of state tags last a couple years, you are good for that long.
I know multiple people who drove their vans or trucks to Oregon or Nevada to get registered there. You kind of need a mailing address in those states to do that for obvious reasons.
As far as gross polluters and stuff goes. Some car models are branded gross polluters as well.
I picked up a Datsun for a really good deal once, only to find out it would not pass the super stringent Gross Polluter test without a whole new cat and sensor. Cost me twice what the car did.
Also, cars not made to be sold in CA may not automatically pass smog just because they are new.
Not positive this is still the case. But I remember that my old Subaru had emissions equipment on it that the same Subie out of state would not have. I was certain it stole just enough horsepower from me to make passing semis difficult.
My Dodge minivan was like that too. It had some extra stuff under the hood that according to the Chilton wouldn't be there in any other state.

I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for out of state plates. no matter how long they lingered. Like I said, tags are tags.

this makes me wonder. since gas lawn equipment is or will be outlawed in CA. in WA state we have the option to not buy CA compliant carburators on our lawn equipment. will the lawn equipment still list CA compliant. for years now in states other then CA the new vehicles have been smog approved for CA. and smog equipment can not be removed if the vehicle came from CA or came from the dealers with it installed from any other state. even if you want to license it in another state. I hope this makes since. EPA standards are different for many different states. CA is the strickest state for smog devices on a vehicle.

What constitutes as, "living" in California? How is anyone going to know? What happens if I don't get it done in 20 days? Will my vehicle get impounded or will I get driven out of town? If I work in SoCal during the week and stay in Baja on the weekends, does that count as, "living", in California?

I'm not trying to be a funny smartass I'm literally just rattling off everything I can think of that might be an issue, though I think I already know the answer to all of these or can look them up.
If you are curious as to whether it would pass, you can always take it to a gas station or mechanic that has the testing equipment and ask them to test it for you. They can tell you whether it would pass or not. Just explain to them what you are trying to do so they don't send the results to the dmv.

A word of caution regarding registering "federal" vehicles in CA, the testers suppose to check the CARB EO numbers on the cat, if they Don't match you fail visually and will require a cat with the correct numbers, its not clear if that is practiced in the field or not.

Unless you want to sell your car in California, there is no upside to titling and registering your car here. ZERO. Just keep doing what you’re doing and IF a cop stops you then just say you’re visiting for the day or whatever. Also, unless you’re doing something crazy, like driving on the freaking sidewalks, if you look Mexican then your chances of getting stopped in CA are even less here.

If you must title your car in the US then consider doing it in South Dakota or if you know someone in Montana then do it there.

I got an FJ Cruiser and was wondering, since it's basically like a giant truck almost, can I legally drive it in California with the smog-emissions laws and whatnot? If not, what would it take
By the way, there’s a good chance that the crappy mex gas has ruined your catalytic converter which means it won’t pass smog here. You might think you’d be ok buying a cheapo $50 cat converter on eBay, but nooooo. You’ll have to buy a California specific cat with a special serial number (that will be verified!) and will cost hundreds of dollars.

There is a problem with that theory, the cops here (socal) target "furin" license plates and they been doing so forever, easy pray. they pull you over with a bogus charge and then the fishing expedition starts, IMO not advisable from experience.

Quote:
You’ll have to buy a California specific cat with a special serial number (that will be verified!) and will cost hundreds of dollars.

Hundreds? good luck! think tousends, as high as 3K, not on all but some.