is it unsafe to install solar panels without controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyflorida

Reaction score
is it unsafe to install solar panels without controller

i'm building a van i was wondering if i can install my solar panels before i insulate and board walls and just have the wire hand there til im done building is this ok or a bad ideas thanks for you input

It is very unwise to use solar panels without a charge controller. Especially if they are very high wattage and especially in a sunny climate. 

I have done it but I have also murdered batteries that way. It could even cause an explosion.

Disconnected panels in sun while you build will not hurt anything. Put something over the panels to block the sun before you connect the controller to them (be sure to connect the battery to controller first).

Oh I misunderstood. They wont be charging batteries without controller. 

You can run the wires but yes shade them and put an insulator over the ends of the wires to prevent them from touching. If you're using MC4 connectors you may be able to run the wires and only add the panel to the roof after you've wired the controller and batteries. That way it's not in the sun while youre working any way.

Insulting MC4 ends is not necessary (they already are). Panels are rated for open voltage and for shorts.

I know very little about MC4. I assumed they were insulated. I run a solid run of copper. I want as few points of contact as possible. 

I just meant that if using MC4 they could prefab the roof and then put the panel on last.

B and C said:
...Put something over the panels to block the sun before you connect the controller to them...

Or do it at night.

Or just wait for a solar eclipse.I have never covered panels before hooking them up. I wonder where that came from.

1shemp said:
Or just wait for a solar eclipse.I have never covered panels before hooking them up. I wonder where that came from.
Depends on number of panels you are hooking up and the order you hook them up.

It all depends on if your charge controller can handle the inrush of current. Plug 'em in in full sun and takes your chances.

I've heard people insist that panels should never not be plugged in. I don't believe it myself, but I've heard it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice I decided I wanted to bolt the solar panels through the roof instead of screw so I just wanted make sure it would be ok thanks again

Will the panels still be removable for whatever reason?
It helps if they are elevated a bit for underneath airflow.

When we leave for 3-6 months in the summer I always unhook one leg of the panels from my nine charge controllers.No use boiling the batteries all summer.When we come back home,I just connect them back up.I've watched a couple of large solar arrays (several acres in size)being set up.Never saw anyone cover a panel.I guess if someone wants to do it,it can't hurt anything.

regis101 said:
Will the panels still be removable for whatever reason?
It helps if they are elevated a bit for underneath airflow.
well i hope i would not need to remove i was going to use the z bracket which i believe roughly raises about an inch or so

New Question is it a bad idea to bolt through with z brackets instead of just screwing to roof? hmm those dam what if questions lol

Personally I would want to know they can be easily removed for whatever reason.
You can still use nuts and bolts. Perhaps a nut and bolt with two fender washers through the roof having the bolt pointing upward so as to create a threaded stud. Upon this you can then lay the z-bracket and secure with a second nut. Just some thoughts.